Brush longevity

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by fishcrow, Aug 21, 2012.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I curious what everyone's thoughts are on brush longevity. My Omega "48" is a year old though it is still functional it lost about a quarter of its original backbone. Do boars lose their back bone more quickly then say a badger with a similar knot size? Will a smaller knot versus a bigger knot retain more it's original characteristic?

Switchermike likes this.
  2. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

Bump- great question. My AOS travel size finest badger sheds more (a hair or two a shave) than my 20mm whipped dog silver tip brush (lost two hairs in four months.) I have yet to pull the trigger on a bore brush. I am really happy with the silver tip. My wife loves hers as well.

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I find that two factors seem to dictate how long a brush will last.1 original quality of the brush(quality not cost) and how you care for it.
    Probably should be in a rotation of atleast 4-5 brushes. So it can air and dry before its used again. And in rinsing after use it should be held at the knot when shaken not just the handle.

Ps I also have a O' 48 doesn't shed but not my favorite style.

178-bplatoon, Switchermike and PBSax like this.
  4. Wilbur McCallister

Wilbur McCallister New Member

I only have a few so can't speak to what's "normal", but my first boar is still going strong after a decade of use. My latest boar is about a year old. Both are better than new with super soft tips. At about a year old I'd expect a boar to be well broken in and ready for years more shaves, not the trash bin.

Switchermike and johnus like this.
  5. PBSax

PBSax Member

:signs011: Nice tip on holding the knot when shaking out @ johnus

178-bplatoon likes this.
  6. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

Great thread idea!!! I've only been wet shaving for a couple of months now and don't have the experience to help but I can't wait to hear how everyone responds. I only have two brushes at this time. 1. a badger hair Escali that has only lost two or three hairs in the first week and none since, and 2. an H. I. S. synthetic that has never lost a hair. I really like them both even with vastly different charactaristics.

7. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

That right there would make a brush last at least 4 to 5 times as long.

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Im not sure but id say yes they do loose back bone my smaller omega (10275) has lost some back bone, (not much 1 year old ish) My rubberset with 27mm Omega boar knot still seams as stiff as ever considering its ment to be same knot as my red pro which is so good, but Im happy with boar as I have 3 and 2 badger and one syn. I have a couple of reknots that I have still not done (or even bought the knots for yet). soo much going on with new house, inlaws calling next month for aweek the Christmas will be around the corner.
    I suppose they have lost some backbone but still retail more back bone than my badgers.
    I just like to use my boars regardless

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've only used a Bagger,Boar or Synthetic a couple of times. But I've used my Horse hair daily for well over a year now and it still works great!! It's only lost a few hairs in all that time and the backbone seems as robust as ever. It's made me a 100% Horse lover! :) Other than to try for the experience, I have no real interest in using any other brush....:shaver

newb likes this.
  10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

My Owners Club hasn't lost any backbone at all, it's just softened the tips up, however my 1520 has a SLIGHT difference from when it was right out of the box but not in a bad way really. The Omega boar my wife uses (And I swipe on occasion) still hasn't lost anything either and that's coming up on 10 months old and she uses it daily.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I haven't noticed backbone loss on any of my brushes. Badger brushes tend to be floppy or have backbone right from the get go. I agree with Justin's comment about the tips. All of my brushes, badger, boar, horse, and synthetic have gotten softer at the tips. With proper care, a quality brush can be expected to last for 20 years or more. The key to brush longevity, as I've read it, has more to do with making sure all of the soap gets rinsed out of the brush after use. That seems to be more important than standing the brush on it's handle or using a brush stand or even using it in rotation.

12. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

It does make sense that if you have a soap build up that the hairs might stiffen and break. Good thought.

13. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Leftover goop in the knot also helps to create mildew and other unpleasants in there as well, you don't need to sterilize a brush but keeping it soap free is the best course of action to get long life out of them. Then there's the occasional time that you do everything flawless and it just sheds no matter what...I've had that happen as well :/

14. newb

newb Resident Newb

I just want to throw this out. I have a low quality brush, a Turkish HH#6. Poorly made and cheap only $ 2.49 when I bought it. It's 3 + years old going strong and continues to improve with use. On the lower end brushes I think it's just luck of the draw, if you get a good one. I think many brushes should last a lifetime as long as the knot is well made. As for the Omega 48, I'd bet most have a good knot. But I didn't enjoy mine when it was new, so it still looks great sitting in the drawer? ;)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I also use(daily) the "BestShave" #6 horse and I've used the "brown hair" Vie-Long professional barber 04312 and the 12601(short tan handle). Although the QC is probably better with Vie-Long, I find both brushes fairly well made. While the Vie-Long maybe a little better finished, it's also by comparison alot more expensive! I like the scritchyness of the #6. :) I've actually had three #6 knots rehandled in resin. :D

Lyndon likes this.