No More Balm!

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by TraderJoe, Oct 14, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

---Well, at least not as a last step.

I have noticed that using a balm as a finishing step can make my whiskers (what is left of them) more visible. :confused:

Lately I have been using a balm or post shave cream, if needed or if I feel like it.......then following with an alcohol aftershave and a cold water rinse.

Conclusion: The whiskers seem to "retract" into the skin more when using an alcohol splash last..........as opposed to using a balm last.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I am not really a balm fan, tend to clog me up. I use only if needed i.e. my skin feels real dry.

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Joe, what about something like Anherb conditioner?

4. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Hmmmm.. an interesting theory Joe. How did you come to this conclusion (that the balm causes your whiskers to be more visible)?

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Still a use/need for conditioners, balms. And all this is going to depend on your personal preference or skin type

Jeff - you may already be doing it this way

Boiled down to visible results. I have been banging out one great shave after another since changing around my pre-shave routine......but it wasn't until I used the splash LAST that I noticed such a dramatic difference.

I guess using the balm last, my skin never fully dries and so the whiskers may never fully retract in my case.

6. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Agreed why waste yer time rubbing on da'Balm, 'specially when it makes yer whisker stubble all shiny 'n Obvious, when you can just drink the
    other stuff like Aqua Velva, Pinaud, etc. Saves times & kills internal microbes 'n parasites.

Definitely feel that if you are a victim of :rofl:ashamed001"Adjustable:ashamed001 Whisker Stubble" :rofl you shud stay away from da'Balmz

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

yupp, I guess you're right on that, Joe--it's just that my damn beard is so pitch-black, that unless I do 3 passes, it still shows to a certain extent.

8. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Makes sense. I'm going to try this over the next few days.

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Hmmm... I only use a couple of balms, but I do use them last. I'll have to try and shake up the routine a bit and see if it makes a difference. I think you're onto something here, Joe!

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Anybody getting good results with this?

I have been needing to use the balm, but still following with the splash and leaving it at that. (CWR to finish)

11. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

+1 kinda

I don't use balms on their own because they my skin look too shiny and oily. I don't use splashes with alcohol solely because they dry my skin, making my skin compensate by producing oil.

A few months back I started using the balm or conditioner first then finishing it off with an a/s splash. The pair has worked perfectly for me. Using the right amount of each has allowed me to get doubly the after shave protection without dealing with any of the issues. I do my CWR before the balm; not at the end. If I shave in the morning, 15 min. before I leave the house I apply some moisturizer w/SPF protection.

12. JPOMP

JPOMP New Member

Joe, I've been doing it that way for a while. Actually, Giovanni recommended the A/S balm first followed by a regular aftershave splash. I normally use the Tryphon Mentolo A/S balm after my cold rinse. I wait a few minutes and splash on the Aqua Velva and it has been working out quite nice.

13. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I tried it for a couple days... to be honest I couldn't really tell any difference.

I think I need to give it a few more tries, with some various combos of balm + A/S splash.

14. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I actually started doing this not to diminish my stubble, but b/c I liked the feel of my skin after I use certain alcohol splashes.

Here's my routine, keep in mind part of it is to prevent acne/ingrowns as I have very ingrown prone skin.

shave
    warm rinse
    wash face w/mild cleanser
    cold rinse
    witch hazel/toner
    pat dry
    apply asb
    apply aftershave splash

It's starting to get cooler here in TX so I've found that I'm beginning to need an asb. I primarily use C.O. bigelow asb for sensitive skin (I think I wrote a review on it) which tones my skin really well, has a light and fleeting lavender scent, and provides just the right amount of moisture. However, if you use a bit too much your skin feels a bit sticky. So, I follow w/some pitralon classic alcohol splash, which gives me a long lasting scent and a great powdery finish w/out drying my skin.

I also found a really really good witch hazel, think Thayers on steroids, that's got a nice lemon scent and does wonders for my skin. I'll write a review on it once I've used it a few more weeks.

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

When winter dry air starts to come in, I'll start using Thayer's Witch Hazel Aftershave splash mixed with Proraso Aftershave Balm or some other light balm. I don't need a balm right now very often.

16. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Did you know Shea butter has a natural SPF of 5?

Issy

17. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

interesting theory , I do agree with some comments here made by others how some balms can make your skin look oily and shiny but that also depends on the quality of the balm a good balm read not $$$$ balm perse will be taken up by the skin pretty fast and not leave any residue.
    I have been using Aloe Gel from my dermatologist who makes it herself and im quite impressed with it, I asked her to make a special Menthol version of it but she is super bussy at the moment.

id say dont throw away the balms you have that make you oily or shiney those are good for the winter times.

18. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Is that for both UVA and UVB protection?

19. Ucliker

Ucliker New Member

I have super oily skin probably the worst out of anyone here and i use nivia in the winter time followed by a splash a alcohol based after shave and it doesn't look shiny at all.

20. Austin

Austin Member

In the cooler days I use several balms but really like SCS Lavender Milk. It absorbs into my skin without being gummy or shiny. During summer months I like using splashes.