The Haul: October 2012

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Neolithium, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

funny-dog-pictures-friends-mailman.jpg

Share your goodies with The Shave Den!

2. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Here's my $4 Slim Adjustable (J1) and $8 Valet razor I picked up Saturday. I've cleaned up the Slim with hot water and Scrubbing Bubbles but haven't touched the Valet yet. I was hoping the Slim would clean up a bit better, but some pits inside remain and the head's not so shiny. I'll give it another go and finish off with some metal polish before I'm done. I do like the heft and feel of the slim.

I wasn't going to ever get a Valet because I haven't seen too many blades around but this was pretty clean and the gears on this razor are pretty cool. At another antique store I saw a Stahly Live Blade razor for $35 and a Kriss Kross razor for $5. Interesting pieces but I left them there.

[​IMG]

Azarius, Ryan Bales, Lyndon and 7 others like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Finished my bottle Saturday, so I picked up a couple for $2.25 a piece at the corner store across from work.

superior70.jpg

Azarius, Lyndon, Ryan Bales and 7 others like this.
  4. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

That's a great looking Valet! I was half tempted to pick one up on the weekend...maybe I'll go back on saturday :)

5. 5Savages

I forgot to mention the other "find" I left behind. A nothing special, fat-handled Tech, with major brassing issues, in a case for $69! I should have taken a picture of it.

macaronus likes this.
  6. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

Just got my Gold Star Lady Gillette in the mail yesterday:happy093: Snapshot_20121002_2.JPG Snapshot_20121002_3.JPG

Azarius, Lyndon, Ryan Bales and 9 others like this.
  7. over5feet

over5feet Active Member

thats very nice I saw one in a antique shop in Port Hope but the lady wanted $100 and would only come down $10

8. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

I got this one on ebay for $20 with shipping :D

Robert Voss and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. over5feet

over5feet Active Member

you done very well

10. andrew m

andrew m Member

I got this travel de off ebay for 99p and stuck a derby in and got a great shave

Attached Files:

11. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

You can't pass on a $4 Slim Adjustable. Nice going!

Ryan Bales and alpla444 like this.
  12. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

Finally got a new strop to fuel my straight razor resurgence. I opted for a 3inch from StarShaving, and although shipping was slightly delayed, I couldn't be more satisfied. Here is a picture with a poor mans strop from whippeddog for comparison.

IMG_20121003_181601.jpg

Lyndon, Ryan Bales, macaronus and 4 others like this.
  13. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Member

as usual big pictures from iphone (slim adjustable, flare tip and my new benchmade mini griptilian
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ryan Bales, Lyndon and alpla444 like this.
  14. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Just received a shipment of blades I wanted to try:

10 Polsilver (the brown pack)
    10 Personna Lab Blue
    10 Personna Medical Prep
    10 Supermax Titanium
    7 Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (black Indians)
    20 KAI Stainless
    and a pack of 5 Personna Platinums (red Israelis) thrown in by the vendor - Thank you very much!

alpla444, lradke, Ryan Bales and 3 others like this.
  15. andrew m

andrew m Member

please let us know how you get on you have a good selection

Smoothy likes this.
  16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Frpm Graeme in Bonnie Scotland: Ingram shave cream and four supermax blades! Thanks, mate!

The Haul 2012-10-04.jpg

Azarius, Lyndon, Smoothy and 4 others like this.
  17. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

After reading so much about it, I just had to get me some of that Pinaud Clubman Aftershave. And I have to say it gave the word classic scent a whole new meaning.

DSC_0745.JPG

And after reading that these blades have been discontinued, I just had to grab me a few.

DSC_4083.JPG

The razor is an Edwin Jagger DE89. Its supposed to be pretty good :)

18. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I just had a little haul. I received 20 Shark blades for my shavette and 3 samples of various TOBS shave cream I had wanted to try.

uploadfromtaptalk1349421404089.jpg

Azarius, Lyndon, Smoothy and 4 others like this.
  19. 5Savages

I had a mis-haul. I found two 10-packs of Gillette Thin blades at an antique store. The fact that the packs weren't seals should have been the warning I needed but I paid my $3 and bought them anyway. It turned out that some had been used and all were corroded. I was pretty disappointed and tossed them all away. I didn't even take a picture.

20. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Too bad, Pat! Better luck next time!

Lyndon and 5Savages like this.