Pocket Knives/Sheath Knives

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Ryan B, Oct 6, 2012.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

WOW I'm really sorry to hear that Norseman. :sad024: What the heck kind of a world do we live in when a Viking can't carry a blade?!?

5Savages, Ryan Bales and battle.munky like this.
  2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Hey fingernails are no joke too! My sister used to claw me all the time when we would fight.

Fishsticks87 likes this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thanks! It is French and it is modeled after sheperd's knives and has a butterfly forged on the spring. There are far more elaborate versions. This is just a simple one. Here's mine (the pic I posted first is a pic from some internet seller :ashamed001: ):
    laguiole.png

5Savages and Ryan Bales like this.
  4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Do I see fountain pens? Nice!

5. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

You must wear suspenders>>>>>>I could not keep my pants up with that weight:sad027:

6. Ryan B

That really is a beautiful knife.

macaronus likes this.
  7. Fishsticks87

Fishsticks87 Member

Lately I have been carrying a Kershaw 1640 vapor. I like the weight of it but the thumb grip to open it is a tad to short for my liking. Should have gotten the assisted open version...

5Savages likes this.
  8. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

That's an interesting point. But we do not use blades any more. We rely more on our good looks :D

But I guess it is a cultural thing. If we go hiking, hunting, fishing or camping. A knife is perfectly legal. That also includes having a knife in the workplace.

But carrying a knife in an urban area, especially if its concealed, is not legal. And most of us have no problems with that.
    Certain knives are banned outright. Like switch-blades,butterfly and stiletto blades.

And you need special permit with an exam to carry a lightsabre. :)

9. 178-bplatoon

Yea Big Brother kinda frowns on switch-blades and butterflies here also, although it's on a state by state basis. Different states different rules. Where I live you can pretty much carry anywhere as long as the blade is under 3". BUT man you guys got us "BEAT" on the lightsabre!! You can't even find them around here on the blackmarket! :yoda2

10. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

We are Vikings after all, and after a few setback in the dark ages, we had to evolve into Sith's
    And every certified Sith with an ounce of self respect has a red lighsabre :)

11. Ryan B

I'd rather have brass knuckles.

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

mycarta5.jpg mycarta7.jpg

Here is my BK2. I made the micarta scales out of some old blue jean and some khakis and some green tshirt. I'm going to finish stripping the old black finish off and force a patina on it with mustard. I added stainless steel hardware today and also added a leather loop on my sheath for my firesteel.

13. 178-bplatoon

Naughty Naughty brass knucks are illegal.:ashamed001: Actually the thing to carry is a 12-16 oz.
    ball- peen hammer. Completely legal for either open or concealed carry and packs a nice WALLOP!! :bounce017:

Ryan Bales likes this.
  14. Fishsticks87

Fishsticks87 Member

Hahahaha!:rofl:

15. Ryan B

Brass knuckles are easy to carry in a pocket and useful for someone of small stature like me. (5'7, 130 lbs.) But I guess I could also loop a hammer through my belt like a sword in the old days. ;)

16. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

For me, on my person I have a Spyderco Mantix 2 and in my bag, I have a SOG Flash II.

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I forgot about my Laguiole. Mine is the more modern variant, with a small curved serrated blade and a corkscrew. Strictly for opening fine wines. still has the engraved spine and the bee at the hilt.
    [​IMG]
    Looks similar to this, but has horn handles instead.
    [​IMG]
    Has better detail and engraving too.

battle.munky, macaronus and 5Savages like this.
  18. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Minnesota has no knife laws regarding length but Minneapolis does. Fortunately they make an exception for those of us with firearm carry permits.

19. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I find the Buck Vantage to be my ideal everyday carry knife. Tough, inexpensive, and a very useful size. Like my shaving products, I'm usually not too swayed by big names, I just want to know, how does it perform? Buck makes this knife in 3 grades of steel, from a pedestrian and inexpensive 420HC, but with a very good heat treat, to a high tech, most people can't sharpen it properly, S30V. The best value is probably the middle grade made of Sandvik 13C26 - a tough steel that is relatively easy to sharpen and holds an edge very well.
    Buck-Vantage-Select-0345BKS-B.jpg

20. over5feet

over5feet Active Member

I have also carried a small pocket knife for the last 20 years and not so long back I lost mine so on our trip to the south of france my wife brought me a new one these are hand made and I love the feel of this knife and the G10 detailing add a nice touch as does the laser cut cross, I have also taken a photo of my other fav that lives in my camera bag that has a spring opening system and is made by kershaw in the USA.
    photo 1-1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG