Hello from Alabama!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by BamaT, Oct 8, 2012.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I've been shaving with various canned gels and creams and various multi-bladed razors for most of my shaving life, with a couple of ventures into eclectic shavers (absolutely horrible experience, not a good shave and LOTS of irritation), and a brief try with a brush and Williams soap back in the 70's (no proper instruction, poor technique with lathering, no idea how to use brush on my face). Recently saw a post on an entirely different type of forum about restoring old brushes, got my interest up about trying the brush and soap again. The next day, in Wally World, I bought a van der Hagen brush, bowl and soap set for $8 and some change. Immediately noticed better shaves. I then began looking online for more information on other soaps, and soon found many resources about proper lathering and shaving techniques. I'm hooked on it, and will soon be upgrading to better brush, getting a DE safety razor, and begin experimenting with different soaps, blades, and aftershave products. Looking forward to getting to know some folks here and learning more about better shaves!

178-bplatoon, PLANofMAN and KLF like this.
  2. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!!

Stick around and meet some of the fine folks that hang out around here. There's lots to discuss and good times aplenty.

When I started DE shaving about 3 months ago, I started with the VDH bowl/soap/brush and practiced lathering for a few weeks before my DE razor came in the mail. That brush and soap are still my favorites, although I've now got 4 brushes and about 10 soaps/creams!

3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Well howdy! Why not pull up a chair and set a spell...

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD. :happy096: on your venture into REAL shaving! I hope you enjoy your visit and it's a very long one. This place is FULL of nice, helpful people. :)
    If I may make a suggestion of course "YMMV" about a fairly good, but inexpensive brush, you might want to look into the "bestshave" Turkish #6 horse hair. Not the best QC out there, but an unbeatable price, the four I have all work well. I've used mine daily now for almost 2 years and it's still going strong. Also I'd like to suggest buying a blade sample pack, so you can try a variety of blades and see which ones works best for your face/beard. Hope you have as much fun here as I do. :happy093:
    Make sure you check out and enter the noobie giveaway for this month.;)

5. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Welcome to the Den, I'm sure You will enjoy this place as much as we all do ;)

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi Bama, welcome to The Shave Den. Happy shavings!

7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Hello and welcome to the TSD family.

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi welcome to the shave den:)

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

10. Robert Voss

Robert Voss Well-Known Member

11. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Hello Bama and welcome to the Den!

12. PBSax

PBSax Member

Welcome Hope you enjoy and find some useful info from these good people!

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.
    Glad you're here!

14. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den!:bounce017:

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

17. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome!

18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome man. It's nice to have you here. Enjoy yourself here.

19. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Welcome to TSD :)

20. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Howdy from Texas!
    What part of Bama would that be? Been in Texas nearly all my life, but I was born in Mobile