How do you dry your brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BamaT, Oct 13, 2012.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I see brush stands advertised by many vendors, but I don't have one yet. I'm currently giving a couple of gentle squeezes on the bristles without pulling on the knot, until it is no longer dripping, then standing on end to dry. This seems to dry quicker than laying down at as great of an angle as I can on the edge of the sink after the same gentle squeezes. Will standing on end to dry harm a wood handle brush, as I've really got my eye on a Semogue 1305. Or is that a bad idea for any brush?

2. uk_HBer

uk_HBer Well-Known Member

I give my brushes a good shake, gently 'strop' them on a clean dry towel to remove most of the remaining moisture, then stand them on their handles to dry..... job done!

newb and alpla444 like this.
  3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

:signs011: I dont know if thats the best way, but its what I do and it seems to work fine for me

newb likes this.
  4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

What they said.

newb likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I give my brush a shake & then dry it on a brush stand, bristles down.

6. asleep2shave

asleep2shave Well-Known Member

same here

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah, this same question pops up from time to time and it is always six of one way half a dozen of the next, then a fight about what one manufacturer says and then the same but opposite from another manufacturer.

Pretty much, just do what is convenient and in your budget. I do both ways with my brushes and never really have had any issues at all.

8. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

I've done it both ways. I have even hung it in the morning and put it up on it's end when I get home from work. IMO it really dosen't seem to matter.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I hold the bristles loosely in my hand with the handle sticking out below as I run water into the knot. About every 3-5 seconds I squeeze the knot until no more soap/cream appears. I turn the water off and give the knot a final good squeeze (no pulling) and give it two or three vigorous shakes. I roll it in a hand towel and give it a squeeze (sometimes) and then run the end of the knot across my hand. If the brush does not bloom to my satisfaction, I will whisk the tips of my fingers across the tip of the brush (center to outside edge while rotating the handle) until the brush hairs have mostly separated. Then I set the brush on it's handle (never on it's side).

The same brush manufactures who recommend brush stands, usually have one they would like to sell you. Brush stands are aesthetically pleasing to the eye and may provide a minuscule drying advantage. I have one that came with a brush I purchased. It works great!...for holding my tube of Tet-A-Tet shaving cream upright.:p I used it with the brush for about a week and then decided it would be more useful as a shaving cream tube stand.

If you have a brush than cannot be balanced on it's base, then yes, brush stands are essential.

10. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

I hang mine bristle side down in a twisty tie noose hanging off the tooth brush holder. All of our mechanical tooth brushes are too large to fit in it anyway. All of my brushes are less than a year old. Time will tell if it matters.

11. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I do and have never had any problems or issues!!!!

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yep. Just make sure you don't store a damp brush in the cabinent or closet. Leave it out to dry thoroughly or you'll wind up with mildew in your brush.

13. R33F

R33F Well-Known Member

I hold the knot & give the brush a good shake or two, strop it on my forearm, then put it in its holder. Done.

I bought a cheap generic holder (under $10) & it works a treat.

14. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

One good squeeze, run it around a towel for about 30 seconds and set it in the brush holder. Seems to work well for me.

15. andrew m

andrew m Member

I wash mine under hot water squeeze then flick thru fingers and hang on my reshaped coathanger

R33F and burnout961 like this.
  16. 2005xfr

2005xfr Active Member

DITTO!

17. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

:signs011: Only with cold water.

18. spsfreak

spsfreak Member

I give my brush a shake & then dry it on a brush stand, bristles down; as others have said.

19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

As long as you hang the brush to dry, you shouldn't have a problem. As for the 1305, I have one and I really like it. I've had it for a few months and it's been doing fine so far. All I do is run the bristles under the water til the soap is rinsed out, squeeze the bristles a few times, and rest it in my holder. I think you'll like the 1305.

20. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I do both, upside down in the holder and stand it up. It doesnt make a difference from what I can tell (maybe bloom-wise it does). All you really need to concern yourself with is as everyone has said: give it a good rinse and flick out the dregs!