Recommend a Balm

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Mitch, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Any nice AS Balms out there that I should try? Last winter I used Nivea all season, worked well but kinda tired of the fragrance of it and I'm guessing there's something out there with a bit more character. What do you love?

Llyr likes this.
  2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've tried alot of different ones over the years and I've found that Afta does everything you could want in a balm, and it doesn't break the bank either.

gorgo2, Llyr and supe like this.
  3. Littlemax

Littlemax Member

Check out the St Charles Shave site. I enjoy the Sandalwood Balm and the Lime Extract. Very inexpensive and good quality.

Llyr likes this.
  4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Proraso, Grooming Lounge, Juicy Couture, Pacific Shave are the brands I've tried. Pacific Shave is a natural product, I don't know if that matters to you or not.

Llyr likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Lately, my husband likes the AS balm from Kiehl's. It has a light scent & doesn't irritate him. (That's MY job ;))

5Savages, PLANofMAN and Llyr like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm not big on ASBs myself, but I'll keep a tube of Brut ASB in my cabinet.
    I've tried L'Oreal Comfort Max, Nivea something-or-other, Clinique Post Shave - all are relatively unscented, which I do like. Of those three, I'll probably get the L'Oreal again when this tube runs out.

Llyr likes this.
  7. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Thanks everyone. The ones I am leaning toward right now are Proraso (I use the splash and it is my favorite, but no good for me in the winter), TOBS, St. Charles, or Bath House. Just need something with good moisturizing/skin repair and a pleasant scent is always nice.

Llyr likes this.
  8. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I like the sounds of the Sandalwood as well as the Dagger. I noticed the Sandalwood has alcohol in it, it says low alcohol though. I usually try to avoid alcohol in the winter as it gets desert dry here in Minnesota and my skin suffers. Any trouble with moisturizing properties in it? Ever tried the Dagger?

Llyr likes this.
  9. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

It is fairly new, but I really can't say enough good things about Proraso's new Blue aftershave balm.

Llyr likes this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Nivea for sensitive skin.

Or make your own.

Llyr likes this.
  11. Littlemax

Littlemax Member

The moisturizing is exceptional and the Dagger splash is very similar to Musgo Real, but much cheaper, I also use the Dagger Cologne. You can't beat the prices and quality at SCS. Very low alcohol content. If you try the SCS, let me know the results. Happy Shaving - Littlemax

Llyr likes this.
  12. erictski

erictski Member

For a balm type you cant go wrong with a The Shave Den (TSD) Aftershave Milk. I love TSD milks...thin and good moisturizing.

For a splash I aslo like TSD AS Splash.

Llyr likes this.
  13. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

I'll second TSD Aftershave Milk and add 444.444 is a mentolated balm that you mix with your splash,you just need a tiny dot.It has no scent and has very nice skincare.I'll also add Feather Kanwa,which also has no scent and has great skincare and is not mentholated.

14. milnerpt

milnerpt New Member

Ive been using Kyoku and its impressed me... otherwise, I just use some thayers and thats good enough... nice and clean feeling

Llyr likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Witch Hazel for sure. I quit using it for about three months and started having all sorts of problems-oily skin, irritation, and ingrown hairs. Using it again, everything cleared up in two days.

Llyr likes this.
  16. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

+1 on the Witch Hazel. I always keep a bottle around. I just bought some Thayers Lavender and can't wait to break it out. Anybody tried Lucky Tiger's Ointment? Just recently found out about it? I sure like their splash.

17. Saliavin

Saliavin Member

I am a balm kind of guy, I have all the Niveas, Musgo, Speick, Every Man Jack, and Queen Charlotte. Of all of these the Queen Charlotte is my favorite. I use very little, and it dries smooth, not oily or tacky. If you are looking for a drug store buy, the Every Man Jack is very good. It can get a little bit oily on the dome when the temps go up, but on my face it does a nice job.

18. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

Pre de Provence Shea Butter Enriched After Shave Balm is excellent and scent free.

19. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

That's what I'm using right now. Excellent stuff in many regards but I have to disagree about the scent... not scent free unless you found a non-scented version? Mine is fairly strongly scented with Rosemary fragrance oil and that has sadly caused me some issues. I'm fairly scent sensitive and if I use this stuff on my face it gives me headaches. On my neck is fine. It's too bad too because it's a great product and I do love the fragrance but just can't tolerate it very well. Their soap is amazing.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Second vote for Afta. So cheap that if you don't like it, it'll make a nice PIF.