TSD Lanolin Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by thinklikeh20, Jul 29, 2012.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I will disagree with only one point - to me, it adds a lot to the shaving experience. Maybe not to the actual act of providing protection while sharp steel glides across your throat, but to the experience, yes, for me a big pillow-y pile of lather adds a lot to me enjoying the experience.

2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I find that for straight razors the "damper" the better. The glide seems better for me with a wetter lather.

Llyr likes this.
  3. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

I tend to go wetter during the work week. I want slick and quick. On the weekends however, I like to build a a real nice thick lather. I want to take my time and enjoy "my time". I slow down so that I can experience the shave.

Llyr, drewcandraw and Switchermike like this.
  4. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

Ryan, what do you think of the Lanolin Irish Spring Type? I have it too. I'm not fond of this particular scent but it lathers very well and gives a great shave! It is amazing how soft my skin feels after using it. I will try it in a different scent soon.

Llyr likes this.
  5. newb

newb Resident Newb

I too have some on order. (Like I really need more soap or cream ) Darn thread , plus with Joann's random coupon sale, I couldn't resist..... What's a man to do ?

Llyr, Queen of Blades and Falcon43 like this.
  6. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

My iced mojito Lanolin just showed up man does it smell good can't wait to try it :)

7. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I have some Desperado on the way. Actually I have a lot of stuff on the way. The anticipation is killing me. :scared011:

Llyr, Falcon43 and Switchermike like this.
  8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I got it so I could remind myself of basic training. The scent is iffy, but at least it's a fresh scent. Irish Spring was the only soap we were issued and it gives me a great shave. I tried it, but now I have English Fern Lanolin and TSD Lime Wheat Cream on the way.

Llyr and Switchermike like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The mojito is also a great scent!

Llyr and Queen of Blades like this.
  10. HawkfanLon

HawkfanLon New Member

Just received a couple of these in the mail. What is everyone's favorite techniques to get the mostest bestest lather with these? Thanks! ;-)

Llyr likes this.
  11. Ryan B

Well this works for me, it might or might not for you. But before I get in the shower, i put some water on top of the puck and let it soak. Then I dump the water out, shake out some of the water on my brush and go to town. Have fun!

12. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Member

I been using my lanolin yin yang with menthol on weekends since I love it and today I finally melted it to store in those mini ziplock Tupperware for salsa and slapped my shaveden sticker back on to make it legit :)

13. NukeLaloosh

NukeLaloosh Active Member

I didn't see this addressed anywhere in the thread, but sorry if I missed it. Is there a difference in the hardness of the puck between the glycerine & lanolin TSD soaps?

Llyr likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I believe that they are very similar, with a few changes between the two. Both are glycerine based soaps. I can dent the lanolin soap with finger pressure. I have never tried the regular shave den soap :ashamed001: so I'm probably not the best one to answer...

Llyr likes this.
  15. Ryan B

I already posted this in the monthly haul, but my TSD Lanolin English Fern came in today! :happy093:I'll use it today and let everyone know how it shaves.

Llyr likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    What do you think of the scent?

Llyr likes this.
  17. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I have been using my sandalwood in rotation with MWF and Tabac. I love how easy the Lanolin lathers. I always get a DFS with it. After my 3rd pass, I wet my hands and spread the lather left on my face into a really thin slippery coating. It is fantastic for the buffing I do on my chin and neck.

Llyr and Queen of Blades like this.
  18. Ryan B

Oh wow, how rude of me. I didn't report back on the scent of my English Fern. I love how fresh and woodsy that scent is. At first, it would burn but no irritation or anything came about after I was done shaving. It lathered up like a boss, went on smooth, and left my skin feeling amazing after the shave. Sorry Ryan (Plan of Man) for leaving you hanging for so long.

If you want a woodsy, fresh scent... then this is one you should definitely consider.

Llyr, PLANofMAN and Queen of Blades like this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I spent almost a full week with the TSD SOTQ C4 lanolin soap. Usually I'm hard core with my rotation of over three dozen soaps, but as I was on vacation in Maine, naturally I limited what I packed up.
    The lather is fantastic, very slick, and made for a great shave. I expected nothing less from JoAnna's lab and I was not disappointed. I did find, for me, that it doesn't need as much water as I usually use with most other soaps, including TSD soaps. Once I discovered that, I had a week of shaving happiness. I'll definitely be getting more TSD soaps with lanolin.
    Hey, JoAnna - :signs107:

Llyr, PLANofMAN, newb and 1 other person like this.
  20. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

I have added two of the TSD soaps to my rotation. Both are lanolin (which I really like). The first is Desperado, a unique smell that at first I was unsure of but have really come to enjoy very much. As my sniffer is not the best, I cannot explain what it smells like, I do know that I DO look forward to using it. The second one is lavender rose. Once again I really like the aroma.
    The quality of both are great. They are slick and will produce a very good lather with out too much work. I agree with Steve that once I found that I didn't need as much water, the shave quality was fantastic. I know that I will be coming back to TSD for more.

Thanks JoAnna!

Llyr, newb and Queen of Blades like this.