SoS: October 15th, 2012 - October 21st, 2012

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Oct 14, 2012.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

5/8 T.I.
    Molinard Rasoline Brushless
    Krampert's Bay Rum

Excellent shave this morning. The Molinard Rasoline is so far ahead of anything I've used in the skin care department it isn't even funny. Unfortunately, I'm addicted to shaving brushes and the lathering process. My weekend project won't show up until next week, it was just mailed yesterday. So I might work on a new style of shaving brush today, Old School type. Have a good one. Don't mind the mess, I shave in my shop. That's my rotation of brushes, a couple of finest 2 band, 3 grade A's, a Semogue 1800 and a Thater knot, plus a synthetic and a Double Duck boar in the background.
    [​IMG]
    upload photo

burpsan, fatkid, R33F and 18 others like this.
  2. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Saturday:
    soak brush/Shavemac 167,2 band,d01,fan/DB Brush Scuttle
    hot shower
    Proraso PrePost Cream
    The Fat (face lathered)
    Schick E3/Pella Coated (3)
    warm water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    warm water rinse
    Thayer's Orginal WH
    Royall Vetiver followed a few minutes later with Kiehl's Aftershave Balm

Another great shave with the E3,BBS face and dome :D

burpsan, fatkid, DLreno and 13 others like this.
  3. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

saturday shave

hot shower
    gillette SS
    gillette 7 o'clock green
    omega badger
    MWF
    3 pass DFS
    cold water rinse
    light splash of old spice

burpsan, DLreno, Llyr and 14 others like this.
  4. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Saturday

uploadfromtaptalk1350741834051.jpg

On a weekend holiday visiting family!

burpsan, fatkid, DLreno and 19 others like this.
  5. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Saturday morning, October 20, 2012

Schick E2 Injector razor w/ Schick blade (2)
    Semogue 1305 boar bristle brush,
    MWF shaving soap w/ warm water lather,
    finish with cold water rinse for a DFS!

B B 30.JPG

burpsan, fatkid, DLreno and 18 others like this.
  6. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

2012-10-20 10.20.31.jpg

Gillette Super Speed
    Voskhod Teflon (1)
    Whipped Dog Silver tip
    RazoRock Mudder Focker
    Thayers SuperHazel
    RazoRock 888 A/S wax

Awesome shave this moring. Vintage Gillette paired with these Voskhod blades are great match for me. The RazoRock products are slowly taking over my shave rotation. The MF soap is good beyond description.

burpsan, DLreno, oscar11 and 18 others like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Saturday - it's the weekend! :happy069:Time for the SEs!!

Prep: Hone and strop str8, hot shower, TSD ISZ PSB
    CD: Road Trippin' Blues, disc 2
    Coffee: Home roasted, fresh ground Malawi Mapanga AA, BLACK
    Hone: Duro Electric
    Strop: Vintage Blades 2" black latigo/linen
    Soap: TSD SOTQ B3 - South Pacific Waters
    Brush: Mohawk 3-338 with original knot
    Str8: Boker Red-Injun No. 101, 3 passes
    SE: Schick Injector E model, touch up
    Post: Cold water rinse, RazoRock rub down, ice water splash, Curve
    'Stache Wax: Steve's Own

Just a great shave. That simple.

burpsan, fatkid, DLreno and 14 others like this.
  8. NukeLaloosh

NukeLaloosh Active Member

Another shave to be proud of:

Shower/365 Glycerine soap
    40's-style superspeed with SuperMax Platinum
    Eva Nestorova Lime Goat's Milk soap
    #6 Turkish Horse
    Indian grocery alum block
    Aqua Velva

3 pass plus mini touch up-BBS in all but a few very small bits of stubble in the nooks & crannies of my neck. Very comfortable to boot. The kind of shave that helps to convince me that all this forum reading and shaving thinkery is worth it.

burpsan, fatkid, DLreno and 13 others like this.
  9. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Shave of the Day (SOTD) Saturday October 20, 2012
    [​IMG]
    • Prep: Brush soaking in cold water, One with Nature Dead Sea Salt Olive Oil Soap, luke warm shower
    • Razor: 1945 Shavety First Shake Sharp Razor
    • Blade: NOS 1961 Gillette Super Blue Blade (8)
    • Brush: Semogue SOC Cherrywood Boar
    • Soap: De Vergulde Hand Extra Fris Shave Soap
    • AS: Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum

Day number eight with the Shavety First Shake Sharp and the Super Blue blades that is on tour from Ryan (PLANofMAN).

Today I flipped the blade to use the other edge. Before using it I did a few shakes on each side to hone it. I am in awe that I am on my eight shave with this blade. Typically I toss any blade after three shaves as I have always viewed blades as the cheapest part of our shaving routine. I would rather spend 10 cents per shave on a blade than have my face suffer for it, but that is not the case with this razor and blade combo.

In all fairness I should have used a modern DE blade to compare how well it performs in the Shake Sharp, but being the frugal bastard that I am, I could not see tossing a blade that still had an edge that was unused.

I only have six days left with the razor before it goes to the next person on tour. I have already made up my mind that I like the Shake Sharp enough to purchase one, so really, I do not need to "test" it any further, but I so enjoy the shaves.

Another great shave with the Shake Sharp. Two full passes and buffing on the neck gave me such a smooth shave that it made my open combs jealous.

I must mention the One with Nature Dead Sea Salt Olive Oil Soap that was gifted to me by my dear friend Roger (DEGuy) He had recommend that I try it as a shampoo bar, which I have never done before. Not only did I use it as a shampoo, I also used it as a face and body soap. It lathers incredible and leaves you feeling very clean. I just looked it up found that Whole Foods Markets sells it locally, which makes it an easy to purchase product.

burpsan, fatkid, DLreno and 16 others like this.
  10. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Oct 20
    Face Wash: Nivea Moisturizing Face Wash
    Pre-Shave Lather: None
    Pre-Shave Prep: None
    Shave Lather: Arko Cool SC
    Razor: Gillette Old Type
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3)
    Brush: Semogue 1305
    Post: Witch Hazel/Vodka/Aloe/Glycerin mixture followed by Avon Black Suede ASB

Though it was 1:30am and I should have gone to bed, particularly since I had to get up at 6:15. I couldn't pass up the shave, however, so off I went. I should have gone to bed. I hacked up my face in a couple spots and I blame that on me, not the blade.

I'm further convinced that the scent of Arko Cool is not for me. Perhaps 2 more shaves and I'll make a final judgement. Same thing with the Avon Blade Suede ASB.

burpsan, Ryan Bales, fatkid and 11 others like this.
  11. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

IMAG0496.JPG

Razor : Parker 98R
    Blade : Polsilver (4)
    Pre : Old Prorasso Green Pre/post
    Soap : Barbus
    Brush :Fatnash badger
    ASS : Boosters Polar Ice & Osage

2 pass DFS+

I really am not a fan of this brush too soft to get a fast acting lather developing and felt like I was being poked in the face by a porcupine when applying lather. I will not be pulling this brush out of the travel box again.

One more shave with the Barbus and a diffrent fatnash marrow then on to the next soap.

-Awake

burpsan, Ryan Bales, DLreno and 16 others like this.
  12. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

After I had to chastise the neighbours and tell them to turn down the volume of their musical party flavours. I did make me feel somewhat of an old geezer, but it had to be done. And luckily they were very forthcoming, and I did not have to take out my old Gillette Mach 3 to scare them with. That would have been unpleasant. Almost as unpleasant as the tunes they were playing. The kids today, no taste in music at all.

Anyway... I did have a wonderful and quiet shave, using this:

Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream - Last time I experienced some burning on the face. This time, nothing. Hooray
    Merkur Progress set on 1.5
    Feather Razor Blade - Fourth Shave
    Frank Shaving Finest Badger brush - My absolute favorite
    Proraso Aftershave - New formula
    Proraso Aftershave Balm - Old formula.

[​IMG]

Now it is bedtime, and if I am lucky I will get a full two hours sleep before one of the kids starts screaming for attention again.
    Even that sounds better than the music from the neighbours :)

burpsan, Ryan Bales, Azarius and 17 others like this.
  13. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

A gorgeous fall day here in the river valley of Arkansas.
    Saturday 20, October, 2012

The morning started with a great shower. While showering the unassuming LuJin Badger, was warming for the task ahead. The Prairie Creations pre-shave soap dwindling into nothingness, for facial prep. The LuJin was to lather up the Lider {green} Shave Cream, it did an outstanding job. This week the British Rocket was the razor choice. It was paired with a Feather and a Super Max Platinum. The best shaves came from the Super Max Platinum. The shaves were comfortable, razor burn free, they were the closest shaves.
    A gentle warm water rinse, cold water splash, the last of the alum, splash. of Lilac Vegtal.

A exceptionally DFS this morning. I hope everyone weekend is going great.

BeFunky_IMG_0281.jpg

burpsan, Ryan Bales, Azarius and 17 others like this.
  14. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Night Shift in a hotel again

Mama Bear's Awakenings stick
    Omega boar travel brush, face lather
    EJ89, Gillette 7O'Clock yellow
    Alcolado Glacial AS, Nivea cool-kick balm

A two pass DFS before heading in to work tonight. I am really starting to like the Gillette Yellows, they are growing on me. The awakenings soap was great as always, I just noticed that she doesn't have the soap listed currently, I hope tht changes as I'm on my last stick.

burpsan, Ryan Bales, Azarius and 10 others like this.
  15. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Prep L'Occitane Soap
    Razor Vintage Hishikaku Kamisori Western Style
    Brush Simpson M7 LE Finest Silvertip
    Vito's Coconut & Almond
    Alum & Witch Hazel
    Clinique Moisturiser
    Creed Santal Edt

Jamie

Perfect start to my day, two pass shave BBS.

[​IMG]

burpsan, Ryan Bales, Azarius and 14 others like this.
  16. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

10-21-12

Razor: Parker 22R
    Blade: Astra
    Soap: Omega
    Brush: The Body Shop

Nice DFS today!

burpsan, Ryan Bales, Azarius and 12 others like this.
  17. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

Saturday shave
    Finally a normal shave with enough time to grab a straight!
    4/8 Rebell from herzi
    Vie-Long horsehair brush
    Ceramic bowl
    De Vergulde Hand soap
    Cold water splash
    Mayor Energy Platinum AS splash
    DFS+!

Sunday. Tabac Sunday!
    8/8 W&B restored by Glen
    Vie-Long horsehair brush
    Ceramic bowl
    Tabac SC
    Cold water splash
    DFS+!
    I honed all 3 of my straights in rotation. Let's see how it goes during the week...

18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Sunday, last day of the 'Give 'em some love' theme
    • Prep: hot washing cloth
    • Music: Wim Mertens, Receptacle
    • Brush: Wilkinson Sword badger
    • Cream: TSD Wheat Cream, Oak leaves & acorns
    • Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    • Blade: Treet (#1)
    • Shave: 5-pass + touch-up (sigh)
    • Post: hot water rinse, cold water rinse, TSD Cedarwood Witch Hazel
    SoS 2012-10-21.jpg

Took out the Wilkinson Sword Classic from under a pile of dust. And remembered why it got there. It was my first DE razor and I used it for some months until I got me a few 'real' razors. I enjoyed it then, but now it is way too light for my taste. Anyway, I loaded it with a Treet blade (never used one of those) and started whipping up lather in the pudding mould.

Yep.

A pudding mould...

It's a copper one with a pewter lining, but the pewter had worn off in the last 20 years or so of intensive use. The copper oxide was coming through, which is disaster for the pudding (or cake!) taste. SWMBO thought of hanging it on the wall as decoration, but I took a look at the ridges and it dawned on me: lather bowl!

Guess what: lather in no time!

But I had a crappy shave. Treet & WS Classic is not a great combination for me (YMMV). Needed 5 passes and quite extensive touch-ups to get to a FS (no DFS today :( ).
    Finished with Witch hazel, which I tend to forget usually. Plus the ladies in the house don't care too much for the cedarwood smell. But I do! :) I just forget.

So there you have it: two sedom used items (WS Classic & Witch Hazel) and two 'new' items (Treet & pudding mould). Liked the Witch and the pudding, not so much the WS Classic & Treet combination.

See ya!

19. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

sotd-21-oct.jpg
    • Prep PSC
    • Virgilio Valobra Soft Soap
    • Omega Pro 48 Boar Brush
    • Crystal Blade (2)
    • Gillette Slim Adjustable DE (I-2, 1963) - TTO, Adjustable - Chrome
    • Baxter of California ASB
    • Old Spice ASL
    It's been a long time since the Valobra soap has seen some love. I find it to be a really good soap. It has an almond scent but it is more bitter than sweet. Every now and again I seem to hit on a combination of products that just clicks. The Pro 48 and the Valobra soap seem to be a perfect match and creating a large volume of lather was very easy. After the first pass I found myself wondering if a bit of glycerin would make the Valobra a bit more slick. So I decided to add about four drops of TSD M-Bomb to the later for the second pass. It worked and I found that my razor was gliding along my skin with a little less resistance. I really like the Gillette Slim and I think I prefer it to the Fat Boy. It's just that little bit easier to manoeuvre in tight areas like just below the nose. Today I used a bit more of the Baxter ASB than normal... nice! Put the finishing touches on my shave with a little bit of "Grampa's" after shave, heh heh.

In about 5 more hours it will be Monday in Hong Kong. And that means "Shave Stick Week"! Cool. I am very keen to use some of my shave sticks again.

Cheers, Lyndon

Smoothy, burpsan, Ryan Bales and 12 others like this.
  20. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Sunday, October 21

Merkur 37C
    Supermax Platinum (d1)
    Tabac
    Vulfix 404
    Jovan Musk A/S

I have tried to like the Supermax Platinum (I am a big fan of the Supermax Stainless). The Platinum seems to leave me with tiny nicks, and does not shave as close for me. It must not like my face/beard.