Need help getting started

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Pablojoven, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Pablojoven

Pablojoven New Member

Hi I'm new to wet shaving and am practicing my technique before I go to the DE razor. Getting beautiful shaves on my face and really enjoying myself. However my neck is a problem area. Getting an itchy neck after going against the grain there and can't get my shave as close as I'd like in that region. Whiskers grow sideways on my neck. Wonder if its my technique, my equipment (still have a fusion), or both? Any suggestions? I'm using Proraso pre shave with art of shaving cream and aftershave balm. Have a badger brush. Apply hardly any pressure to razor and doing approx 3 passes with, across and against the grain. I'd appreciate any feedback.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den.
    Be sure to check in for the October Newbie Give-Away.

It could just very well be that cartridge razor you're using. To be honest, I have no idea these days how many blades that thing has, but for the sake of argument let's say it has three. By making three passes with that thing it's like making nine passes with a DE. I believe that would irritate anyone's neck!

For now I would suggest you stop going against the grain. Many folks here just can't tolerate it, so don't feel you alone. Until you get your DE, I'd stick with one pass with the grain, then maybe another pass diagonal to the grain. That is, of course, if you insist on more than one pass.

When you get your DE you can try first pass with the grain, second pass across the grain, then your third pass diagonal to the grain. See if that helps.

PBSax likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD...You'll get lots of advice and help here. I hope you enjoy your stay...:)
    Your equipment seems fine(well except maybe for the fusion :eek: "lol") Sometimes people have problems when shaving against the grain. You could try going diagonally under your neck instead of directly against the grain and see if that helps. Practice of course will also help greatly over time. My goal in wet shaving has always been an irritation free shave. So my technique has evolved with that goal in mine. I seldom get a 100% BBS shave. However I do get consistent DFS shaves that are irritation and nick free.

4. Pablojoven

Pablojoven New Member

Great thanks for the advice guys! Any recommendations for DE razors?

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

This is the best razor to get!
    You're going to get a ton of ideas, all of which will be good (I know because this question (and a great question it is) has been asked a million time and I've seen the answers :D)) .
    Of those, pick the one you like the looks of. Face it (no pun intended), you're not really going to want to use a razor you don't like the looks of.

PBSax likes this.
  6. NukeLaloosh

NukeLaloosh Active Member

Welcome to TSD! I can't add a lot to the advice the other folks here have given, but I know that you'll find plenty of other things to try and new possibilities as you browse the threads here.

7. Cyanshine

Cyanshine Member

Hey Pablojoven! I just came out of 17 years Gillette system shaving and I suspect it is the razor that is giving you trouble. Whatever razor you buy, make sure to check prices first. I overpaid, despite checking...

8. dimmerswitch

dimmerswitch Active Member

I have the same pattern of hair growth on my neck. My advice? Get the DE now! I haven't had any irritation on my neck since. It took me a while to get the technique right, eventually got to two XTG passes and one ATG pass to get a near BBS shave in that area. I don't always get it right but it's always better than my cart's results and with no irritation.

9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

The only way to get your technique down with a DE razor is to get a DE razor. I know that's kind of a smart aleck thing to say, but you're already on the right track using a brush and soap. There are many places to look like Ebay, the classfied ads on here, For sale sections on other shaving forums, Shave stores. I also agree with cutting down on the number of passes. Good luck! I hope this helped.

10. Shanester66

Shanester66 New Member

I going to start using a safety razor...ordered a Feather stainless steel razor online. Currently the products I use are from Art of Shaving. I start out with the pre shave oil then onto the shave cream and when finished I use witchhazel...I wait for it to dry and then apply the Art of Shaving balm. I do have some problems with bumps sometimes which is why Im switching to the DE...hopefully I can get some relief from dealing with the bumps. Currently using Mach 3 razor until the Feather arrives. I have also read that you should exfoliate the beard prior to the shave. Some people say this is irritating to your face and not to! lol Incidently, I shave in the shower. I tryed doing it afterwards in the sink...just seems to go smoother in the shower using a fogless (on a good day) mirror. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Thanks :happy096: