Puma Scales

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by William, Oct 17, 2007.

1. William

William New Member

Hi

I thought I would right to you all about my NOS Puma Razor which arrived this morning. Unfortunately, things are not quite as rosy in the garden as I first thought. Let me explain.

The package arrived this morning from Canada; it was very well wrapped up and in quite a big box considering the size of the contents. I opened the box and found exactly what I was expecting a NOS Puma Straight Razor Pattern No91. It was contained in a plastic wood effect box which I think is a bit of a shame as real wood would have been a bit nicer? Anyhow, I noticed that the yellow paper seal to the box was broken, no surprises there as someone at some stage over the years must have looked at it.

Inside the box I pulled out the razor which was contained within a plastic bag sealed at the end with of all things a sort of metal rivet. I then undid the seal and removed the razor from the package and had a look at the blade. I have to say that the blade looked very nice indeed even though it was covered in wax I could see that there was not a scrap of rust or any marks for that matter. It is a 6/8th round point with jimps top and bottom. It is double hand forged and the stamp marks are perfect. The blade has a perfect gold wash stating the words ‘High Class’ and some silver etching in a vine pattern. On the reverse of the tang the words are stamped ‘Made in Germany from Best Pumaster-Steel. It is a very nice blade indeed.

Now to the scales! When I took the razor out of the package, I noticed that the scales were matt with no shine on them at all. It was difficult to see the pseudo tortoise shell pattern. At first I thought this was how the scales were but I did notice that they were a bit sticky. Also on the back of the razor was a sticker which read ‘The unusually smooth shave of the “PUMA” razor depends on the steel being forged twice, i.e. hammered and hammered again.’ It was clear to me that the scales were coated in the same goo they had put on the blade and I decided that to reveal the true splendour of the scales and the blade a good wash in warm soapy water was needed. This I did and I carefully dried it off with a handkerchief.

What was reviled by this simple act was simply lovely; the blade is beautifully polished and as crisp as a new £50 note. It is very sharp indeed and I feel sure it will shave without much work to it other than a small strop. Amazing after all these years don’t you think? The scales though are a different story. I took the razor over to the sunlight to get a better look at it and saw almost immediately that they were cracked not once but twice. The first is at the middle pin and runs across the razor and is by far the most serious. The second is from the pin nearest the point of the razor and runs laterally towards the logo. Clearly they are very fragile indeed. I do not know if they arrived like this or if I did it in cleaning it but this it is not really relevant now. I do not blame the supplier who I believe supplied it to me in good faith.

Oh dear, Now don’t get me wrong here chaps, I am very philosophical about this. Obviously I am disappointed that the scales are damaged but in a way it is not surprising. I am not altogether sure how old this razor is but it is very old indeed. The scales are made I assume out of cellulose which is not the most stable of substances and clearly over the years they have become brittle to the point of breaking. A real shame but there it is. Now I am not a collector of razors for the sake of it I use all my razors and I fully intend to use this one. It is my view that I have little alternative but to have it re-scaled. The only issue really is how do I have them rescaled and who should I get to do the work. I would obviously like to have a nice exact replacement set of scales put on but, I think I may be asking the impossible. Has anyone ever heard of someone having a supply of Puma Scales? Conversely, I could go for something completely different. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. (What do you think Bill)

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Sorry to hear about the scales....but get them redone. There are some great people out there who can put a fresh set on for you

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi William,

Sorry to hear about the scales, I think scale rot is failrly common although I haven't seen too much of it myself.

Bill has some beautiful scales available that would complement a mint Puma blade very nicely :drool

http://billysblades.com/Other%20Goodies.htm

I'd like to get some of the Asian Burls for myself ;)

4. mparker762

mparker762 New Member

Contact Bill Ellis and see if he can transfer the Puma medallion from your cracked scales to a set of pretty wooden ones. If it's done right you'll wind up with something that looks OEM but a lot nicer than the celluloid ones.

Or maybe he can scare up some genuine tortoise to make scales out of. I've got one razor with real tortoise scales and they are absolutely to die for.

5. William

William New Member

Thanks for that, In fact the razor is on it's way to Bill as I write this. Thankfully he has kindly agreed to do the work for me. I really like the lifting the logo idea I wander if that is possible? Perhaps Bill could make comment on this and how viable it is. Obviously, the Logo is in immaculate condition and would look quite hansom on a nice set of dark exotic wood scales.

I relation to the real Tortoise scales I think it may be illigal to import them in the uk. Not sure about that though. I am aware that it is illigal to import alive Tortoise but not sure about 'bits of?'

Cheers

6. gugi

gugi New Member

the logo inlaid in wooden scales would look spiffy - i've seen pictures such puma :)
    bill will be able to easily take it off - you can't anymore since you've shipped it to him, but i believe just putting the scales it in hot water does it.

i'm pretty sure it'll be illegal to import real tortoise unless there is an accompanying certificate that it's vintage (even then i'm not sure transborder trade is kosher).

7. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Too bad about the scales. On the other hand, the blade is what is important and it seems from your description that it's mint. Scales can be changed and you have sent the razor off to one of the best in the business. I've not rescaled a razor myself, but I know a fellow that does it all the time for razors to resell on ebay. There are several folks on this forum that have rescaled their razors also. I'm less certain about transfer of the Puma logo, but if anyone can do it, Bill can.
    You're going to end up with a well traveled but really nice razor. Enjoy.

8. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

I'll see what I can do and post pics along the way. Gotta find the time to do it, now.

9. gugi

gugi New Member

oh, that'll be very nice, Bill. I really enjoy these threads with pictures of the process of creating/repairing a razor....

William, hmmm, may be you should've waited until after Thanksgiving a.k.a. raffle time to send it, or it may get delayed till Christmas - either way it'll be fun.
    (^ i don't actually mean it)

10. William

William New Member

Yipeeee:bounce017

11. William

William New Member

No pressure on Bill, I have other razors to keep me occupied with for now and besides, if it’s worth having its worth waiting for! I think this one will be well worth waiting for. I never thought it would be famous though:eek: Pictures….. how brilliant is that?

Now have I got to fifty words yet? I HAVE NOW!:rofl

12. C utz

C utz New Member

Keep an eye on those scales....

The faux tortise scales (and I've seen a bunch of Puma one's) tend to degrade... If celluloid the blade will be toast. Now this might not be the case with this one, but the wax might have been protecting it.

Either way, replace those scales (they are damaged any way). I'd have Bill Ellis or Joe Chandler make you a set, and see if they can use the original Puma inlay on the first set of scales on the new set of scales. They could cover it with a thin coat of CA.....

C utz