Muhle R41 and a few other bits and pieces

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sputnik27, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

So after looking around for an upgrade from Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley i came across this scary looking thing. Still yet to shave with it, but if i don't make it out please tell my parents i love them. I hope i was able to capture the blade exposure.

2012-11-21_14-17-35_33.jpg

2012-11-21_14-19-43_753.jpg

2012-11-21_14-21-17_634.jpg

2012-11-21_14-21-54_353.jpg

Attached Files:

Turk, BossManBill, Monkeylord and 3 others like this.
  2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

That's the R41 alright. I remember the first thing that went through my head when I loaded a blade and had a face of lather about to use it for the first time. I believe it was a prayer....

All in all a great razor though, keep an eye on your angles and it will be a comfortable shave for you.

battle.munky likes this.
  3. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

What is the actual best angle for this razor?

4. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

It looks far more ominous without the blade loaded. Love the look of it. Scared to use one..

5. puros_bran

puros_bran Active Member

Giving the exact angle would vary from person to person... but its a DE razor.. start out flat and tilt til you feel the blade?

6. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

Look there really is nothing to be afraid of, to be honest i only started De shaving two to three months ago and just jumped to this razor. I shaved tonight and the angle i think was off by a fair bit so it was a little uncomfortable but still it gave a great shave. I did get some small nicks, but nothing I'm not used to since I'm still new. In my eyes if you feel you have a Russian type beard then use the R41.

7. Sputnik27

Sputnik27 Member

Looking at the blade it lies quite flat and not bent, so im wondering should i be touching more of the cap?

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

This razor is pretty different than the 89, but since you survived the first one, the hard part is over. Now you just need to experiment with angle.

I have to keep the razor more toward perpendicular than flat though. You just have to keep messing with it and NO PRESSURE.

Sounds like you are doing pretty good to me though. Keep it up :)

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

As a fellow with a heavy beard you 've gone from a mild razor that doesn't work for you to the other end of the spectrum, a nicker giving a too aggressive shave, kinda doubtful to me whether or not you get a good daily shave with the R41, one that balances beard removal with comfort. I watched youtube vids of the R41 in action and it put me off purchasing , I did not see it working daily without nicks, irritation and a degree of careful concentration thats a hassle.

Think about these:

Gillette New long comb- blends the attack on the hard beard with comfort. Easy to get on ebay, not being collected.

Gillette Old Type- hard beard killer, can be a little aggressive.

Fatip- Aggressive,will do the job.

Merkur Slant- will shave a hard beard pretty easily.

Cadet- not used but has a good rep , likely to be able to handle the heavy beard.

alpla444 likes this.
  10. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I've got an R41, and after fussing around with it for a week, I figured out what angle works best for me. (Either that or the built up scar tissue from repeated nicks didn't phase me any more! Lol).

At any rate, just as with anything new, "time with the tools" is essential toward gaining expertise (or mediocrity at a minimum). But I'm a stubborn soul so I continue to stay and play until I get things right.

Enjoy, but respect, the R41! It's a great tool to have around. IMHO

battle.munky and Sputnik27 like this.
  11. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

i reserve my r41 for special occasions....when i work up the nerve....the key is NO PRESSURE!

alpla444 and BossManBill like this.
  12. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have the R-41 I dont use it too often but when I do its a 2pass great shave. Its one of my best looking razors