How long do they last (roughly)?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Aedan382, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Aedan382

Aedan382 New Member

I am curious. Also I realize that there will be wild fluctuations in usage amounts from person to person. So just because I want to know:
    Anyone who uses GFT soap (the kind that comes in the wooden bowl) how many shaves (ballpark) does it last?

2. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

I am going to say I got about 30 shaves out of mine. Maybe a little bit more. I tend to not be stingy with my soap however. I got about the same out of my D.R. Harris as well.

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Only 30 Shaves out of a bowl of soap? How much are you loading onto your brush? :eek:

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I was wondering the same thing.

Aedan382, sorry, but I have no idea. I have 30+ soaps in my rotation. Some are close to four years old (yes, they get used, but obviously a little less than once a month!). I just don't keep track of how many shaves I get out of each one.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You should get at least 6 months of use out of it. I've heard of people getting a year's worth of shaves from a Trumper's puck.

30 shaves is...well...wasteful. Unless you shave your entire body, like Steve. ;)

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

30 shaves:shocked003: Most soaps last me ages granted I do rotate em and use creams and shave sticks so I cant say for sure, but even when I was using a Kent BK12 which is a massive brush Id say for sure they would last longer

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I can't speak about this particular soap. But perhaps it would help to know that my husband, who A)shaves his face & head and B)does not rotate soaps, gets about 4-5 months from a 4 ounce puck.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Trumper's has a slightly smaller puck than the typical 4.0 ounces, but it's a really hard milled puck. I would expect the typical 6-9 months if just shaving your face. I shave my head and rotate among a handful of soaps, so I'm just make an approximation when I say I get about 6 months. Soap would last me 1-1/2 times longer when I only shaved my face.

9. Aedan382

Aedan382 New Member

Thank you everyone for the responses. Knowing that they last quite a while makes me feel pretty good about $30 for a soap with bowl.

I'm so glad I fond this forum.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

Well since I don't shave every day and I change my soaps, I was making a guess. But I don't think I am that far off. Maybe it is more like 40. I really get the lather going. I apply it twice. (counting that as one shave) I think I get the foam up really high because I like the look of it. I think calling me wasteful would be accurate.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. todayilearned

todayilearned New Member

Col. Conk Bay Rum Shave Soap 2.25 Ounce... I'd say 35-40 shaves.

I got it for about $5 shipped so that's about 15 cents a shave.

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Trumper's costs the same or less on a per shave basis.