Deep Dark Purpleheart Razor

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by str8razor, Oct 22, 2007.

1. str8razor

str8razor New Member

Well after seeing the Purpleheart razor that Bill Ellis did I had to try my hand at darkening the wood by lightly torching it.
    The blade is a 5/8 O'Rourke & Hurley (I know who?) with some nice file work on the spine. This blade had some minor rust pits of which I removed most of them.
    The scales are a lightly torched Purpleheart wood with a finish of polished CA (super glue) to add luster. The bulls-eye collars, pins and wedge are brass. To add a contrasting and different feature I recessed a piece of Turquoise into the front scale.
    The turquoise is my first attempt at recessing something into wooden scales hopefully it looks OK. I am hoping that the turquoise rising above the surface of the wood is appealing. I had doubts about that but went ahead and did it anyway.
    I have made a few razors for eBay and for others and this one I did for myself.
    :happy023

Attached Files:

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

very nice....i really like the deep purple color you achieved.

3. Joe C

Joe C New Member

That is a reeeeeealllly nice job. Pat yourself on the back.

4. bg42

bg42 New Member

Pat

As the previous razor master said,a pat on the back is well deserved for such a nice job
    Well done
    Kind regards Peter:D

5. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

No doubt, you should be proud of this one. What a dandy! I love the turquoise. This razor is a marked improvement over your last one, Bill. It's time for you to open up shop.
    ...........................................[​IMG]

6. str8razor

str8razor New Member

Thanks Bill that means a lot coming from you. I'll admit that last one was a bit dull but I guess that I had to try something like that just to see how it went. It was kind of an experiment with a new kind of finish but with your comments I may try another hopefully with better luck. The guy that bought it really loves it, especially the shorter blade.
    Oh!! I used a mask this time while sanding...................

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Great looking straight! Loving the turquoise!

And I don't usually care for turquoise anything.

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

What a trifecta of high praise! (Joe, Bill and Peter) All I can add is WOW! I love turquoise anyway, and the purple heart is awesome!

9. xChris

xChris Member

Me likey! :happy088