Shampoo Bars (everything you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask).

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by richgem, May 11, 2012.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My latest report;'After using the JR Liggett's for about 3 weeks, some problems were occurring. While it kept my dandruff to a minimum, redness around my hairline was reappearing. Also, my hair was feeling increasingly coarse. So I started a bar of Rose of Sharon Acres Peppermint/Tea Tree shampoo bar, this week. So far, the redness has disappeared. Also, less flaking and softer hair. Too soon to call it, but this one has potential.

richgem likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Now, it has been a couple of weeks, with the Rose of Sharon Acres shampoo bar. I am continuing to get great results. My hair is soft and there is no redness around the hairline. And I have less dandruff with this one, than with the others I have tried. (I suspect that it is because this bar contains tea tree oil-like the others- and also neem oil, an additional antifungal.) So I am sticking with this product. I also learned that if you really like one of their products, you can save money by ordering a loaf of it. That's 16 bars-about 4 pounds. But if you do, order 3 weeks ahead, because this is handmade and takes some curing time.

richgem likes this.
  3. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

Very nice write up indeed! I am currently using a retired shaving soap of mine that did not lather sufficiently for shaving as a shampoo bar. May not be exactly the same, but seems to work for me. My hair usually no more than 3/4 of in long. I do know a few local soap artisans that make shampoo bars, but have not tried them yet. Being a person that likes to keep plastic out of land fills...and further not even buy them to be recyced and avoid all together (pre-cycling) I rather love the concept. That is one of the things I love about traditional shaving soaps/gear...Less material waste.

richgem likes this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am all for minimal packaging- another reason why I ordered the shampoo bar I like, in bulk. When they sell in bulk, they do not wrap them individually. It is great if you can get something locally, because shipping also adds to the environmental impact of a product.

5. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

I don't have a shampoo bar but I have been using pure glycerin soaps lately. I got some for the whole family in different scents. I use this soap to wash my hair and it does a great job! My wife even told me that my hair looked really nice just yesterday. I've been using only this glycerin soap for all my showering needs for two weeks now. It is quite a bit more expensive than regular soap but my skin irritations have completley dissappeared since I began using this soap. This after years of the dermatologist shuffle and prescription meds! I'm a little resentful that something this simple was never recommended! You can probably get these soaps at other sites but I got mine from Tamarinda.com. I'm very impressed.

richgem likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Hey, if it works, it works! Glad you found the right product for yourself. BTW, I passed all this info along to my dermatologist today. I wonder if he will make use of it.

Switchermike likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Since I have posted about the shampoo bars, it seems like a good idea to add some info about the solid conditioner bars too. (See page 1 of this thread.) They do not get rid of my skin problems, but do not aggravate them either. Their advantages are practical & environmental, though.

1)On the practical side, they do not have water, so they do not waste it. Those of you from Arizona or other dry places can, no doubt appreciate the value of this. Also, being solid, they are airline-friendly, since the TSA doesn't get its collective panties in a bunch over solids, the way they do over liquids. Plus, solids don't leak all over your suitcase.

2)On the environmental side, they require less packaging and use less fuel, when they are shipped. While most of us recycle plastic bottles, even recycling has an environmental cost, so having less to recycle, in the first place, is best.

3)They last me about 2 months a bar, even with my acres of hair, so they are cost-effective. The downside is that you probably have to order them, as they may not be available in stores.

The ones I have tried;
    1)GoatMilkSoapCreations- again, the one from Australia. This is really a shampoo bar, with some extra oils added. It got the tangles out of my hair, but it didn't feel smooth. I don't recommend lathering "conditioner bars"

2)Get Lathered- this is a true, non-lathering conditioner. I got pretty good results. It comes unscented or in a variety of scents.

3)Scenter Square- very similar ingredients to the Get Lathered bar. I think this one is a little better. Comes in a few scents- I got the lavender. They also sell a DIY kit, good for about 3 bars. This is more economical & you can omit scent, add your own favorite, make it the shape you want, etc. I will probably try this next.

Switchermike likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Nice write up!

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I just started using a homemade (cider) vinegar rinse due to some new styling products. I must say, it does a nice job of reperking/ cleaning the residue from my hair. The vinegar smell evaporates fairly quickly, probably would evap faster if I diluted the vinegar more. Keeping the vinegar in a small spray bottle is a big help toward application.

10. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

I have never used an actual shampoo bar. I just use whatever bar of natural soap I am using at the time to wash my hair. lol! Although I am going to a vendor show soon and one of the local soap artisans whom I have not bought from before is going to be there. He has a shampoo bar and believe it or not s soap made with activated charcoal which supposed to be good at removing oils, dirt and damaging free radicals. I am doing my homework now on their site so I can pick out a few.

Switchermike likes this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Very cool. He gave a nice description.

13. voice940

voice940 Member

I use the bars from Ogallala Bay Rum. Good quality, and I use it "all over" So one bar, cleans everything from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. Also, leaves my skin soft and smelling Bay-Rummy. (several scents to choose from - I like either the BR & Limes or BR and Sandalwood)

14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Now I had to order some shampoo bars. This forum is giving me a lot of ideas, but it's getting kind of expensive.:)

JRod22 likes this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We really are just a big bunch of trouble-makers, aren't we? Which shampoo bars did you order?

JRod22 and richgem like this.
  16. Erik Redd

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Pretty much a variety I could find at Amazon and Drugstore.com

Taconic Shave EUCALYPTUS MINT Shampoo Bar - All Natural / Handcrafted
    Jojoba and Peppermint Shampoo Bar 3.50 Ounces
    Shampoo-Tea Tree & Hemp Oil Formula - 3.5 oz - Bar Soap
    J.R. Liggett's - Bar Shampoo Original Formula - 3.5 oz
    (seed)* grape seed enriched conditioning hair shampoo bar, simply unscented - 3.5 oz
    (seed)* grape seed enriched conditioning hair shampoo bar, invigorating citrus thyme - 3.5 oz

Should be enough to last me a while:)

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good choices. It is good to try a variety of them, because, as with shaving stuff, YMMV.

18. Erik Redd

Tried this shampoo bar today. It produced tons of lather, I rubbed the bar on my hair a bit longer than I needed to. Not much scent, but it's certainly easy to use. It seemed a little drying but it cleans well, so you might want to use a conditioner after.

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Which one, Erik?

20. Erik Redd

IMG.jpg
    Photo didn't show up the first time.