PIC THREAD - Shavemac Blue Marble D01 2-Band, BULB versus FAN shape

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by CHSeifert, Jan 18, 2013.

1. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

If anyone read the thread I made about my last Shavemac order of 3 custom made Shavemacs, you may remember that I accidentally got a D01 2-Band Blue Marble in fan shape instead of what I ordered - bulb shape.

Bernd ASAP send me a new brush - and I promised to ship the fan shaped brush back to him. Before I do so, I just took a couple of pics to show the difference between a bulb and fan shape in D01 2-Band Shavemac hair.

You get a more profound and round bulb shaped knot from the softer type of badger hair qualities like regular 3-Band Silvertip, Finest badger, Best 3-Band badger from Simpson, Thäter 3-Band and even Thäter 2-Band (Thäter 2-Band is as soft as other manufacturers 3-Band IMHO), Rooney Super 3-Band, Morris & Forndran Super 3-Band, Kent 3-Band Silvertip and others.

As soon as you move into the tougher more stiff badger hairs, and I'm not talking about regular Pure Badger, which is a cheap badger hair quality taken from the stiffer hair areas all over the badger, but I'm talking about Shavemac D01 2-Band, Simpson Manchurian, Morris & Forndran Finest 2-Band, Rooney Finest 2-Band and even Shavemac D01 3-Band - you tend to get a less rounded bulb shape, that tend to look more like a hybrid knot of a bulb and fan.

With that said, I still think you can see the obvious diffirence in the two knots in these 2 photos - I'm glad I got the bulb shaped knot, which I originally ordered since I already own a custom Shavemac in D01 2-Band with a fan shaped knot, that closely resembles the fan shaped knot in the photo, only difference in 1 mm smaller in knot size.

Specs for the 2 brushes in the photo:
    Left brush: BULB shaped Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip, 54 mm loft, 26 mm knot size. Handle model 167 in Blue Marble
    Right brush: FAN shaped Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip, 54 mm loft, 26 mm knot size. Handle model 167 in Blue Marble

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Those are stunners Claus!
    Enjoy them!

3. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

OMG... I want that fan you're sending back!

That was a custom? Special order?

4. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

very nice indeed, love that blue!!!!

5. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

"blue beauties"

;)

6. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

Thanks to all for your nice comments :signs001:

Yes, both are custom orders. I only own one Shavemac, that is not a custom order, and that was the special limited genuine horn with nickel foot, all my other 11 Shavemacs are custom orders :)

I already own another Shavemac with the same specs and fan shape - so that is why I specifically wanted the blue marble to be bulb shaped, since I already own one in fan shape, but in brown-black model 102 ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I had a DO1 ultra flat top and sold it... Regret that.

If you didn't have to send the fan back I would consider purchasing it..

8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Oh boy those are gorgeous. I had no idea Shavemac did custom ones....I smell an upcoming divorce for me. Seems like the customer service from there is nothing short of excellent as well.

macaronus likes this.