Witch Hazel Users

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Ryan B, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

How many of you use it? I do. To me, it's instrumental for me to have a good shave. I use non alcoholic witch hazel. All I've tried is Thayer's Witch Hazel Rose Petal. I'm thinking about getting the unscented alcohol free type.

Also, another thing I've noticed is that when I use witch hazel; I can tolerate splashes. Anybody else find this to be true for them too?

All I did after my shave was rinse the lather off in cold water, pat it dry, apply witch hazel, then Floid Blue. I didn't feel any stinging. Is that how Floid Blue is or did I potentially nullify the sting with witch hazel?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I tend to use splashes (incl. Thayer's Lemon) during the warmer months, but balms during the colder ones.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  3. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I use Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera after every shave and after I wash my face. Awesome stuff, will definitely try a different scent of Thayers when this one runs out.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

As a possible precaution, my feeling was that the rose scent lasted waaaay too long (think old church lady). You might want to think twice about that one, even if you like rose scented products.

JRod22 likes this.
  5. possumbelly

possumbelly Well-Known Member

I got a Thayer's sampler pack (in Australia - online store) with 9 x 60ml of each of the astringents and toners a few months back when I first started wet shaving. It's great. For me the Thayers is essential. I use it virtually every time I shave.

My favorites by far are all the astringents: Original, medicated superhazel, lemon and peach are all good. The medicated has a clove scent. I use these immediately post shave after my cold splash. I let dry, rinse and then apply a balm, AS, or less often - one of the toners next

I've now bought a big bottle of both the original and the medicated superhazel. Would also be happy to buy the other two astringents.

I don't like the cucumber and the lavender toners at all. Of the remaining toners, I don't mind the rose, original or unscented however I don't really find myself using these much. When my samples run out, I will probably get the unscented or the original. The toners are nice for a freshening up. The astringents are more like an alum bloc replacement for me although milder but also moisturizing and healing.

Good luck choosing.

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon and Conrad1959 like this.
  6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have the rose scent and usually mask it with something else. I am thinking on getting the SuperHazel next.

7. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Yeah after thinking about it more, I probably would rather not have a big scent on the witch hazel. Thanks for the advice.
    Wow that was very informative. Thanks, I think I'll try an astringent next.

richgem likes this.
  8. possumbelly

possumbelly Well-Known Member

That's my (current) favorite. It does have a slight scent which fades. Reminds me of cloves. Original is pretty neutral. Lemon is pretty mild also.

9. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I use scent and alcohol-free WH. Love it. I also find I can use AS splashes following a cold rinse and splash of WH. Still some of them are more drying but the ones full of glycerine are really good! My Proraso Green splash use to be too drying when I used it by itself and now I can go all say without my face drying up, and I get to use scents that I really like!

Conrad1959 likes this.
  10. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

I also like Thayer's Lemon. If you prefer a short-lived WH scent try this one. On me, the scent is gone in 10 seconds. Humphrey's alcohol free Hydrating Toner is also a favorite. The Jasmine scent is pleasant and gone by the time you put the bottle down.

11. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

I just bought WH today, ran into it on accident when buying rubbing alcohol-- who knew the local drug store would have it. It does have alcohol in it, but I have always liked alcohol aftershaves as they tighten my face. If you do use an alcohol aftershave, cool your face down with a cold towel and it will not burn. Lets see how the WH goes tomorrow after the shave!!

Conrad1959 and JRod22 like this.
  12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I just use what Walmart has, with 14% alcohol. I've also used aftershave splash without using the WH.

srpavko and Conrad1959 like this.
  13. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

I should have mentioned that Humphrey's Hydrating Toner leaves a very slight tacky residue on my face. I follow up with a AS balm or splash which removes the tackiness.

14. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I've never used Thayers, but I do use the generic WH that you can pick up at Walmart for $1.44 per bottle. After several months of using it straight, I started concocting my own AS. I mix 2 parts WH with 1 part alcohol (rum or vodka, depending on what's handy), 1 part aloe vera juice (not gel), the I add a scent of some sort. First I used Tabac cologne, which worked great, the acqua di gio (meh...) and currently GFT Wild Fern cologne. I put in just enough to give it a pleasant scent, but not enough to stay with me and interfere with any cologne I may wear.

178-bplatoon, JRod22 and Conrad1959 like this.
  15. Star

Star Active Member

This. The 14% alcohol doesn't give me any sting, and I like to splash it on heavy enough that I don't want it scented. Cheap stuff is all I need here.

srpavko and 178-bplatoon like this.
  16. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I picked up some of this Dickenson's brand at the drug store. It's 14% alcohol but it's never burned when putting it on. And the great thing about it is it leaves you smelling like someone threw a shot of cheap tequila on your face for a few minutes. Just kidding, the smell isn't that strong but it does remind me of tequila. It also has a flip-top lid with a small hole so you can put a little in your hand easily without getting it all over the place.
    [​IMG]

Jayaruh and 178-bplatoon like this.
  17. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

I used the witch hazel with 14 percent alcohol in it today. I did my normal routine- hot towel with lather on face, rinse, shave, cold towel. I did the cold towel first then decided to do it again with witch hazel on it. When i had it on i could feel my face tightening. I really like this product. I followed it with my normal aftershave.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  18. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I love my bottle of Thayers. Too bad I have to import it from the states. It costs more to ship than the actual price of the product.
    Actually I had never heard about Witch Hazel before I started reading this board.
    Thanks for that :)

19. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

I'm a huge fan of "Thayer's Alcohol-free Unscented Witch Hazel w/ Aloe" (light green label). Very soothing & moisturizing.

20. KLF

KLF Doctorin

This site has very decent prices and shipping rates : http://www.iherb.com/Witch-Hazel

Norseman likes this.