Face Lathering Week 1/21-1/27

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by swarden43, Jan 20, 2013.

1. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thursday:

DVH boar brush & Arko stick.
    This brush just *loves* to ace lather! :happy093:

Llyr likes this.
  2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Really liked the Lucky Tiger products that I've used till now. Decided to buy some LT Brushless Shave Cream. Used it, rather tried to use it this AM. 1st dampened my face and rubbed on the cream... Nothing. More water... Nothing. Then a dab in my bowl and a brush. Nothing! Well may be its brushless and lather less... Tried to shave... Wrong! No slide.
    Any one else with the same experience???

Llyr and macaronus like this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Never tried the LT but I picked up some Neutrogena in a tube that was that way. I used it as a pre-shave and it worked ok for that :)

macaronus and Llyr like this.
  4. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Frank Shaving Chubby Badger and Portland General Store Whiskey Soap.
    A pretty decent combo that worked very well as a face lathering regime. It has not convinced me to convert to face latherism, but I enjoyed it nonetheless :)

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Got a really nice VDH face lather today. I'm enjoying VDH so much that I can't wait to try some more soaps. I've heard soaps are a lot more work than creams so I figured I'd just stick with creams but lathering up the VDH is just as easy once you get the hang of it. I see a TSD store order coming. I love the smell of grapefruit so maybe some of that.

I also tried a German Wilkinson Sword in the '52 Super Speed and I really like these blades. They felt so good, I went for a 3-pass with touch ups and got a really great BBS shave with no weepers or irritation. The Wilkies came in my blade sampler but I think they're the same ones they sell at Wal-Mart. I'm going to buy a couple more packs next time I'm there.

6. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Savile Row 3824/DB Brush Scuttle/Lavanda SC

Very nice lather today,with creams I just put a dab or 2 directly on the face and noggin and let the brush do it's thing.

Norseman and macaronus like this.
  7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I had to try my STF this morning in my scuttle. As I suspected, wonderful and I really missed my warm lather. I think I'll keep my face lathering for days when I'm on Ex or deployed ;)

8. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Face lathered the L'Occitane Cade shave soap. Not perfect. I need more practise. Looking forward to it. Maybe tomorrow.

9. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

Tried face lathering C.O. Bigelow cream this morning with my new boar and I don't think I got it wet enough. I was also on the 3rd shave of a new to me blade. Not much irritation, but not as nice as the last 2 days.

Llyr likes this.
  10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Wilkinson Sword badger & Godrej cream. Kinda cool...

Llyr likes this.
  11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Saturday: Ingram and DVH boar brush. Nice!

Llyr likes this.
  12. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Saturday

Mama Bear's Rosemary Mint Stick/DB Brush Scuttle/Rooney Heritage Stubby 3xl.

macaronus likes this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Still enjoying using the bowl.

14. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Still enjoying face lathering haha

Llyr, Bird Lives and macaronus like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088:

macaronus likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Last day using the Arko. I tried bowl lathing today, by wetting the tip of the shave stick and then rubbing it on the tip of the brush and the inside of the bowl. Produced the best lather all week,but still not even close to being a lather monster. I didn't get near as good a lather as I do with the TSD Florida Water I've been using for the last 3 weeks,HoneyBee shave soap, Rays of Colorado, VDH or even Williams.

While I got an acceptable shave and I can see the advantage of face lathering and using a shave stick in certain circumstances, mainly when away from home. I did not enjoy the shave however as much as I do bowl lathering with a puck or cream. I'm glad I did a face lathering week, it's certainly a skill worth aquiring and practicing. I'm glad I tried face lathering using an Arko stick.....:shaver I think for now however I'll just stick to my bowl and puck....:D

Llyr, macaronus and Bird Lives like this.
  17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

DVH stick and Travel King boar. Great combo!
    Face lathering has been a blast this week. The only drawback is that the lather isn't nice 'n' warm like when I bowl lather. I like it both equally. I guess each technique has its pro's and con's. :)

Conrad1959, Llyr and 178-bplatoon like this.
  18. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

I agree - by the time I finish building lather for the first pass the lather is cold. I sometimes use a scuttle to warm the brush/lather so that the lather for subsequent passes are nice and warm.
    Today's face lather - Vintage EverReady and Macca Root Cream.

macaronus likes this.