Razors you have no desire to own

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Ryan B, Dec 3, 2012.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

2. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Tom, why don't you like the Cobra?

3. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

I am actually trying to thin out my razors at the moment. I have no desire for any Über-Expensive razor.

My list of never will buy:
    ATT Titan (although will buy the Atlas handle)
    Cobra Classic ((tried one, got two decent shaves, the remainder where awful)
    Darwin (über-expensive)
    iKon (although I do own the handles)
    Joris (overly hyped, über-expensive, fancy plated FaTip)
    Merkur Futur
    Merkur Vision
    Rolls (just no desire to own one)
    Tradere (tried one, hated it)

List of Razors I regret buying:
    Cadet TP-26 Standard Bar (almost the same head as DE/R89, but handle was ugly)
    Cadet Open Comb (Matador Capa Dorada is better quality and better looking)
    Every-Ready Streamline (overly hyped razor, get better shaves from GEM 1912 or Heavy Flat-Top)
    FaTip Grande (quality was awful)
    FaTip Piccolo (quality was awful)
    Feather AS-D1
    GEM Open Comb Micromatic
    GEM Push Button
    Gillette Fatboy
    Gillette G2000
    Gillette Slim Adjustable
    Gillette Superspeed Flare
    Gillette Superspeed Blue Tip
    2011 Mühle R41 (onion peeler)
    2010 Mühle R41 (no different than Merkur 41R (1904 OC) or 15C)
    2009 Mühle R41 (same as FaTip)
    Old Spice Open Comb
    Parker 48R
    Parker 98R
    Sabi Razors (although kept the handles as they are nice)
    Schick G-Type Injector
    Schick Stick Injector
    Weishi TTO

ohpaos, PLANofMAN and Lyndon like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good advice from Dougr but if aggression is the issue, please know that some of us found the Pal Injecto-Matic to be more savagely aggressive than Schicks. I went through a happy injector phase a few years back but am now pretty much done* with them. Of all the injectors I tried - and that's pretty much all of them - both of the Pals would hack me up far more quickly than any Schick, yet the adjustable (when it worked!) is my all time fav next to the Schick E.

The Injecto-matic will shave on par with any Schick, is usually found in good condition and will generally be had cheaper than comparable Schicks. They just have a learning curve and they will never let you drive them on cruise control. And the best injector blades you can get will help immensely. Don't cheap out with them, you'll pay on the back end (go ahead and ask me how I know).

*only because blades have become much more of a pain to obtain in the past year or two

5. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Joris, Merkur Futur, Merkur Vision, or a R41

6. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

Anything that is cheap and Chinese for two reasons. They were probably made by underpaid employees who work in bad conditions, and it would probably break if it was taken on vacation.

JRod22 likes this.
  7. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Don't see myself buying any more DEs. I enjoy using my grandfathers Super Speed and my shaves have been getting better and better. If I get more into straights at some point I'd like to pick up a shiny new stainless steel one and get rid of my vintage one. I guess i would like to give an SE of some sort a try eventually just to see if I like it. Might nab one out of the tour box. I'm scared to try to much. I've read about some of your guys complicated rotations. Haha I'm trying to take Lynyrd Skynyrd's advice and be a simple kind of man: one brush, one DE, one go-to blade, one str8, 2-3 creams, 2-3 After shaves. That's my goal.

feeltheburn, ajdhn and ohpaos like this.
  8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I very much do not want to own a Gillette toggle, 195, or any other super rare razor.

I'd like to try one of the new stainless steel razors but I don't want to pay for one.

I'm happy with the ones I have (Lord Tech, flare tip super speed, Gillette NEW frankenrazor). I don't see myself wanting a new razor in the future, possibly ever.

9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

And just in case the world forgot Lynyrd Synyrd's advice, Shinedown reiterated it too. But yeah, I think I'm going to dump quite a few things in the travel box when it gets to me.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Stainless straight razors are generally Chinese or Pakistani garbage. Carbon blades take a much better edge.

JRod22 likes this.
  11. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

I've never seen a razor I would say never too :happy088:

12. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

Talk about YMMV.
    These two razors give me great shaves. If I could only keep three razors, the Cobra and the Tradere OC would be two of the three.
    I've read that some folks find these two razors especially harsh, I don't, I find them smooth, efficient, and produce a BBS shave with the least amount of fuss.

King camp likes this.
  13. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

Now that I have that out of the way. My first DE was a Merkur Futur, I still have it, but I don't care for it much. I could live with only the Futur if I had to, I can get a great shave with it.

14. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Anything over $50, anything made in China (China produces some good razors, but right now the QC is just too hit and miss), Lord razors (I've heard that the threads wear out quickly).

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I had a Merkur Futur and Progress and gave them away to my Dad. They're not for me.

16. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm missing out on some great shaves but I have no desire to buy any "newer" razors. I enjoy using Gillettes from the 1930's through the 1970s and rarely stray from that date range. I think the newest razor I own is a 1970s Gillette Black Beauty Adjustable.

17. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

that may be the case with other people, but I've never had a problem with my Lord Techs. The first one I owned I used for something like a year before PIFing it. Missed it so much I bought another and have been using it regularly for approx. 6 months.

18. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Lord L5s and L6s are so highly praised and so inexpensive that I wanted to buy a couple to get some folks into DE razors, but then I read several complaints regarding the threads wearing out. If it were only a few people then I would just chalk it up to bad luck, but so many folks have reported this issue that I just couldn't ignore it.

19. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Sorry it took so long, I missed this completely. I don't like the handle and I can get results just as good with a $10 Schick injector or 1912 and blades I can pick up at a local drug store.

20. fmckinney53

fmckinney53 New Member