Help me get excited about shaving again ...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Dusty5150, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

I'm in a slump. I'm stuck in the same boring lazy routine and I want out of it!

A few months ago I discovered that I could get a really DFS using only shave oil and single pass with a GEM 1912 SE, so I got lazy and complacent and haven't lathered soap with a brush and/or made multiple passes with a DE for quite a long time (until this morning). I had an amazing shave this morning, which has prompted me to get some input on getting excited again. I forced myself to get up early today and dedicate some time to a nice long slow, methodical shave - I ended up with a wicked smooth, as close to BBS as I've ever come, result - it still wasn't the kick in the arse I need though because one of the first thoughts in my mind was that I wouldn't have to shave for a few days because it was so close.

I'm not sure if product is what I need, or if it's something else; anyone go through this? care to share your experiences?

Either way, I realized that I do need to get some menthol in my den; besides TSD M-Bomb and 444, what other menthol products should I go for? I've been using Proraso Green soap for ages, but it's not strong enough. What's the serious freeze your face off stuff?

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

If my straight razor routine gets to be a bother, I switch to DE or even my Atra for a few weeks, sometimes even using Barbasol. After several weeks of this using the straight is fun again. You don't necessarily need new products, just mix up what you've got now.

ohpaos likes this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

How about joining in on the Theme Weeks?
    You don't *have* to join n on all (I know I can't and don't join in on all: I haven't got any MWF for next week, for instance, but it lets you focus on some items of your den).
    As for the freeze stuff: Crackstar made a list some weeks (few months?) back. Dunno where it is, so you'll have to search a bit.
    I f you can find Godrej, pick it up as I understood it's being discontinued. Ingram is quite chilly as well.

4. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Sound like someone needs to buy some new gear! :shaver

5. Dusty5150

hmmm, maybe I'll finally buy a strop so I can get to learning my str8 :happy088:

Theme Weeks are a good idea; thanks Mike!

macaronus likes this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

My pleasure. :)

And learning to use a str8 seems a great idea as well! :happy088:

7. Dusty5150

I pulled out the straight today! Sparked the interest again for sure :)

ohpaos and macaronus like this.