3-Piece Week 2/4-2/10

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by swarden43, Feb 3, 2013.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well, ladies and gentlemen, another Theme Week is upon us. This time 'round it's all about the 3-piece razor. You know, the ones that when you take 'em apart you have three separate pieces. Easy as that.

Now a question for ya, how many of you have a 4-piece razor? I do, and I'm sure to be using it this week. I'm not much on picture taking, but I'll try to get something up so you all can see it.

Have fun and post some pics of your 3-piece razor!

2. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

I do! I do! uploadfromtaptalk1359901137935.jpg

Lyndon, Jayaruh, ohpaos and 5 others like this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I'm finishing the cleaning up of a NEW for this week:) I can't wait to try it but I've got my Muhle R89 standing by in case anything goes horribly wrong.

Lyndon and macaronus like this.
  4. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

I will start the week off with one of my favorite razors, the black handled Muhle R106 three piece razor. I should have no trouble finding suitable razors as the three piece is my favorite configuration. I have such a large rotation, I have to clean and oil all my razors after use. I find the process easiest with a three piece razor.

muhle-r106.jpg

Elegant simplicity.

Cheers, Lyndon

5. feeltheburn

Here's my NEW. I don't think I'm going to wait until tomorrow to shave with it though.

It was strange that it came with a bar handle and the nickel plating was in good shape on all 3 pieces but the baseplate had the small recess for a ball-end handle so the bar handle didn't really seem like it was holding things together right. I switched the bar handle for a ball-end handle from an Old-type I had and it seems much better so I'm going to use it this way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Wow what razor is that? I'm really digging it. Looks like a travel sized bulldog handle

Lyndon likes this.
  7. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

its a Merkur travel razor OC. i believe the model # is 985. i could be wrong though.

Lyndon and JRod22 like this.
  8. feeltheburn

Great shave with the NEW this morning. VDH with a dab of Bigelow mixed in for the lather. I also used a pre-shave oil for the first time and I'm a believer now. My wife always has this Neutrogena stuff around so I figured, what the heck I'll try it. I think I'll be using it regularly and maybe make some PSO of my own later.
    [​IMG]

Llyr, macaronus and Lyndon like this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Monday: Gillette Old Style OC
    Tuesday: Ugly Duckling
    (I'll post some pics later this week as I'll be switching between these two razors anyway)

Lyndon and Llyr like this.
  10. feeltheburn

After a couple days using the NEW, I've decided I'm just not that crazy about it. It did a good job but what I don't like is that the head holds the blade very flat. That means to get a good blade angle with it, I have to hold the handle a lot closer to perpendicular than I'm used to. It just feels a little awkward. Maybe I'd get used to it but I think a head that bends the blade more and gets the handle closer to my face allows me to pull the razor through my whiskers a bit more smoothly.

I'm going to switch to the Muhle R89 today.

macaronus, Lyndon and Llyr like this.
  11. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

One of the most beautiful razors in production! :) Yesterday came my R 106 but with a crack on the handle. Vendor promised me to replace it with a new :)

macaronus, Lyndon and Llyr like this.
  12. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

Fantastic shave today with Muhle R89 :cool:

[​IMG]

13. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Tuesday

Great shave with a Gillette Fat Handled New SC/Perma-Sharp Super (3)

macaronus, Lyndon, dcc and 1 other person like this.
  14. feeltheburn

Same here. I haven't used the Muhle in a while since I've been trying out some new (to me) vintage Gillettes. The Muhle 101 - open comb version of the 106 looks interesting...
    [​IMG]
    Must...resist..the...RAD...

15. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

Looks like I'll be dusting off the Merkur 33C this week :)

[​IMG]

macaronus, Lyndon, Llyr and 2 others like this.
  16. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Had a close shave with an EJ today...

17. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

My Gillette Ball End Tech is my go to razor. It was made in 1959 in Argentina.

18. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Today I used a Weber Polished head on a UFO Stainless Kaiser Short handle with a Lord Platinum blade.

P1010073.JPG

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I love that UFO handle!!! Could you tell me the name and the specs(length,dia, etc) on it? I want a nice Barber Pole so much!! :)

Lyndon and Llyr like this.
  20. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

UFO Razor Handles. The handle in the picture is a Kaiser Short. They have a 105mm version as well.

Discription from the web site.
    "316L Stainless Steel. 85 mm long. 13/13 mm caliber. 77 gr weight.
    Thread is M5x0.8. Gillette heads fit well, including the NEW head.
    The neck ends to 8.5 mm to fit perfectly."[/quote]