SoS: January 28, 2013 - February 3, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Jan 27, 2013.

1. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff,

i have these problems (Irritations) only with the Feather blades.Don´t know why.Seems to me that the Lada´s work well for me.Perhaps only in my Edwin Jagger...maybe it´s another situation in another DE Razor.I will see.:)

macaronus, Llyr, dcc and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    February 3
    For the next few days, I am switching up just the soap with my new shaving bowl.

Col. Conk's Bay Rum Soap
    Parker black badger
    Gem Jr. 1912 w/ Gem/Personna SS PTFE blade
    Cold water rinse
    Dickinson's WH
    AquaVelva IB
    [​IMG]

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My friend, I cannot use Feathers at all. They are the most brutal blades I ever experienced. I once cut myself so badly in three places that I had to go to the hospital for treatment. I will never use that blade brand again.

macaronus and Llyr like this.
  4. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

Hey Arley, sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit discouraged. :( Yes, I can see how shaving twice a day could start to get a bit monotonous. My beard grows very fast so I know what you mean about the unshaved feeling later in the day. That said, I find that with wet shaving and a DE razor I get so much closer than I did with a cartridge. Just this morning I was looking at my beard and thinking that it was still comparatively short.

I suppose you could try one of the disposable blade straights like the Feather (if you haven't already done so). I find they get very close but it is easy to over do it and get significant irritation. I guess a Rolls might be another option or just a plain straight razor.

Let me just say that the world of traditional shaving is much better with you in it, so I hope you persevere and stick with it. Many people enjoy reading your posts and learning from your insights.

Hang in there! :)

Lyndon

macaronus, Llyr and Stroker like this.
  5. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

I bought Fitjar's cream, soap (old formulation), moisturizing cream and aftershave cream (you're right, it is a cream in push-down dispenser bottle) long ago. I used up most of the stuff, only that ASC is left, and I love to use it in wintertime. I found it very soothing and only a small amount is needed. The only reason that stops me from buying more is the horrible price of the delivery on par with the fact that Fitjar is quite an expensive brand too. Anyway, if you have a chance to put your hands on Fitjar items without breaking you budget - do it! I liked how the shaving creams performed with a straight.

Llyr, Norseman, Lyndon and 1 other person like this.
  6. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Hey Arley,there's another option you may consider.The Cobra Classic,it's very close to the shaves I used to get with my straights but easier to maintain.Only reason I'm shaving with de and se's is arthritis setting in my hands.The downside to the Cobra is you can only use a few blades in it.Feather Professional,Feather ProGuard,and Kai Capt Mild.The plus side is for me I get about 20 shaves from the ProGuard's and 15 from the Kai's.Those shaves include headshaves.

7. Hayter

Hayter Active Member

Prep: Hot Shower washed face with soap
    razor: Gillette super speed '68
    Soap: Col Conk BayRum
    Brush: Van Der Hagen Pure Badger
    Alum Block
    Gillette Cool Wave aftershave

8. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I have a few Fitjar items, and love most of them. And I know all about the horrible price of delivery. It cost me about $28 to ship a small package from Norway to CONUS in November. And that was the cheapest option. If I wanted tracking on it, it would set me back about $70. Norwegian postal service is a greedy bunch :)

Luckily Fitjar offers free shipping for domestic customers if you shop for $70, which is pretty good. Most other web shops demands a purchase of over $180 to $350 before they give free shipping.

Conrad1959, Llyr and Asd like this.
  9. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

5 Hour Energy
    WSP Prince Brush
    Mitchell's Wool Fat (Fat Tuesday)
    Face lather
    Weber ARC with bulldog Handle (3 Piece Week)
    Hot/cold water splash
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetol

Very peaceful, relaxing irritation-free shave!

10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

This pass week I have been getting superior shaves with my '65 Slim, '38 Senator, and '52 Super Speed. Today I longed for another with the 'Black Tip Beauty'...This rascal is the most fun buffing machine...when I hold the razor with that dart throwing grip...and swivel my wrist back and forth in a rapid buffing motion...I can buff my whole face, from every angle, N-S E-W W-E S-N...doesn't matter...no irritation and the results are BBS (Bowling Ball Smooth :happy097:) I can buff my whole jaw line from ear to chin...no whiskers..skin polished shiny...no irritation. Most razors with ATG buffing like this would leave my hiding from the After shave...not this Super Speed...nope, I'm all polished up and the AS is still my friend...:happy102:
    Tuesday
    Arko Shave Stick/Omega 10029
    1952 Black Tip Super Speed-Steel Version/Rapira SS d3
    Old Spice AS/The Body Shop Neroli-Jasmine Cologne

Buffed and polished and ready for the day....

11. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Tuesday's Shave
    Shower w/Speick soap
    The Body Shop Maca Root cream
    Frank's Best badger
    1953 Gillette President
    Feather
    Thayer's WH
    Nautica Voyage AS splash

Good start for a great day!

Norseman, Ryan Bales and Monkeylord like this.
  12. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Tuesday menthol surprise :)
    Pre: shower
    Cream: Ralon with 2 drops of peppermint oil
    Brush: Semogue 2000
    Razor/blade: Shavette loaded with a second day Astra SP
    AS: Pitralon

I took a nice pick but I left my charger and cable at work so no pics today :)
    The Ralon cream is nice by itself, but coupled with peppermint oil it's divine. The oil transforms it's usual scent into something really fresh and very nice (peppermint oil has a different, to me nicer, smell to it than the artificial menthol in Plamolive or Gada). And it gets a wonderful cooling effect, of course if you over do it it gets you a burning sensation not quite comfortable.
    It was a 3 pass ritual of relaxation ending in an DFS just a hair from BBS :)
    One little weeper solved by stiptic pencil. And of course Pitralon goes great with peppermint :)

Conrad1959, Norseman and Ryan Bales like this.
  13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Tuesday: I did not shave yesterday, but did a menthol shave in honor of yesterday.

Prep: Shower, TBS Tea Tree face wash, an unknown facial scrub that my sister gave me.
    Brush: Whipped Dog Silver Tip.
    Blade: Personna Lab.
    Razor: Gillette Ball End Tech.
    Soap: Proraso White Soap.
    Post: Cold water rinse, Nivea Sensitive AS balm (first time use.)

Conrad1959, Norseman and Monkeylord like this.