Lip Service

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by R33F, Feb 8, 2013.

1. R33F

R33F Well-Known Member

I spend alot time outdoors. It's part of my job. Sun, Sand & Wind take their toll on your skin & lips. I was caught the other week without my lip balm & paid the price. Burnt, cracked & bleeding lips. I normally carry a small tin of 'Blistex'. Works well. 30+ protection from the sun.

Blistex while being great protection is really oily. The wind & sand combination with the oily lip balm leaves my lips feeling like crumbled sausages.

So what's your choice for lip protection & care ? Tin or Stick ? Something Non Oily ? SPF factor important ?

Also, for those that do suffer the same fortune as my lips, I found the best remedy for sun & wind burnt lips is beer. A nice cold stubbie (bottle) of beer.

Cheers,

2. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I hate anything that coats my lips and will only have it if absolutely necessary. That said, I have used "Burt's Bees" and have found it to be not entirely objectionable.

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I have the same problem so I always have some Chap Stick or Blistex in my pocket. Carmex is great stuff too but the little glass jar doesn't fit in a pocket and I don't like having to stick my finger in the jar to get it on my lips.

4. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I usually don't use any lip balm, unless I travel. It seems any time I travel out of Louisiana to anywhere that isn't so humid my lips and skin get crazy dry. I have heard that once your lips get used to having chap stick then you basically have to stay using it. I don't know how true that is, but my girlfriend said she used to not have to use a lip balm, but now that she uses one her lips can't go a day or more without any chapstick.

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I live in the desert and humidity is around 30% most of the time. I think chap stick and hand lotion are necessities like water and air conditioning. :)

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

As someone else who lives in South Louisiana it is "VERY" selsom that I feel the need to use any kind of lip balm. My wife however uses it pretty regularly. Your GF's theory might be right on the money FacialCarnage....:)

FacialCarnage likes this.
  7. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Being English I luckily have no need for any lip products. I guess that's one good thing about our rubbish weather. :)

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here, only I'll drop a tube of Blistex in my pocket rather than Burt's Bees.

9. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

For very dry lips, it may help to exfoliate (table sugar or salt work fine for me).

A lifeguard friend uses "BurnOut" lip balm, which he buys via Amazon. I'm not sure if it's distributed in your area, but I will include the description & a link to the company below.

BurnOut Zinc Oxide Lip Balm
    Goes on clear. UVA/UVB broad-spectrum protection. Water-resistant.
    Chemical-free, Petroleum-free, Paraben-free, PABA-free, Ocean Safe, Eco-Sensitive, and hypoallergenic.
    Formulated with zinc oxide - no chemical UV absorbers.
    Enriched with Virgin Hemp Seed Oil and Shea Butter to protect and soothe weather-damaged lips.

Available in Essential Oil of Orange, Natural Coconut, and Natural Juicy Mango.

Size .15 oz.

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 18.6%. Other Ingredients: Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Beeswax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Virgin Hemp Seed Oil, Simmondsiz Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax.

http://www.burnoutsun.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=3

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I like Burt's Bees stick, the one with the red cap. It contains clove oil and tastes/smells like bay rum. Plus it seems to be mostly (all?) natural.

bittermormon and crackstar like this.
  11. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I didn't know penguins had lips. :signs002:

12. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Depends on the species.

Pygoscelis cooldudecus:
    image.jpg

13. richgem

Erik Redd likes this.
  14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

My apologies. I thought they were like chickens, just with different feathers.

15. richgem

Clearly, you've never seen a chicken try to swim. :eek:

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hey, that's what I use - it's terrific!

17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

C. O. Bigelow makes one that I have found works well when I need a lip balm, which isn't often. Can't remember where we got it. It's a small tub, not a stick, and isn't oily.

18. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

I use a Chapstick company called free range chicken poo. We bought it on a trip down south one time. I use it on my face for snowboarding trips so I do not get wind burn.

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Burt's Bees is pretty good,, if I have to buy one. But mostly, I make it, from beeswax, shea butter & jojoba oil (equal parts by weight.) It's not that difficult.

20. richgem

Interestingly enough, that's Steve's formula for mustache wax. ;)