Just had my first shave ;)

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Weehamish, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Weehamish

Weehamish New Member

My parcels came early then i expected :)

Just had my first shave with Derby blades i got with the razor;

1. Nice smooth shave
    2. Few nicks, had worse.
    3. Face is red raw! (Normal first time?)
    4. Happy i did the switch :)

Matt F likes this.
  2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

If your face is feeling raw, some non alcoholic witch hazel should help. Also, remember: no pressure when using the razor. It's hard to get past that because since most of us grew up on carts we have that muscle memory instinct to push down on the razor to get all the hairs.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Face shouldn't be red raw. It's either Derby blades don't agree with your skin or you used way to much pressure, or a combination of both. Derby's are either hit or miss, mostly it seems like they're a miss.

4. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

:signs011:

5. Weehamish

Weehamish New Member

Well i got them free so i just used them lol, ill switch once they run out, i only have 5.

I never used any pressure so it cant be that, and i put Nivea for men afterhsave balm on after to sooth it but my face is still pretty red!

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happyo96: I'm really glad you've enjoyed your "FIRST" time so much!! :)
    Aside from the fact that Derbys suck I.M.O. Do you have a large blade sample pack? "Raw Red Face" sounds like too much preasure,check your angle also, most important relax..:). Everything will improve with time and usage. Remember Time,Technique,Practice and Patience will get you to a smooth,close irritation and nick free shave!! :happy088:

7. Dr.Wybert

Dr.Wybert Member

Congrats on your first shave.
    The redness is of course irritated skin.
    Like mentioned earlier, it could be the pressure, the blades, angle. I found shaving cream can also make a difference, so you'll have to play around a little. i found you tube very helpful for shaving tips to.
    Good luck on your shaving venture!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Congrats on the first shave! Hope you get the irritation figured out. I think everyone's already hit all the likely causes so good luck and happy shaving.

9. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

:signs046: To The Shave Den

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Follow the advice and it'll only get better!

11. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Welcome to TSD :)

12. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I recommend watching some vids on youtube by guys like Mantic59 and Geofatboy...Geo in particular has some really good quality vids and has worked his way through most razors it seems. As others have said you should not use any pressure. The brush too may have partially caused redness if you aren't used to exfoliation or if it's a cheap one.

srpavko likes this.