Cruise Advice

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Queen of Blades, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'll be going on my first cruise at the end of this month. I'm going to the Bahamas.
    I was hoping y'all might have some advice for a first timer.

Yes, there are plenty of sites with advice and such, but most websites hurt my eyes, and I like y'all better. ;)

178-bplatoon and crackstar like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Bring one or two nice outfits, as they usually have a formal night, or 2. And bring comfy clothes & a good camera, for the rest of the time.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  3. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

leave your cell phone and or laptop,etc. @ home. it'll help you relax and enjoy yourself.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Both times I went on a cruise, I gained weight. There is non-stop food from when you wake up until you fall asleep.

I am not sure if this is true with all cruises, but there were many older and larger European folks running around in speedos.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thanks!
    I'm a comfy clothes kinda gal. :happy088: Even when I dress-up.
    Camera! Thanks, Sara! I'm not a big pic taking person and don't ussualy bring that when I travel. Especially because I have my cell phone.......
    Both of those cost a lot of money to use on the cruise ship. So definitely not using on board. Cell phone is coming with but will be turned off.

Extra insulin! Got it! :happy088: :happy102:

As for the speedo sighting warning; I'm used to gross stuff when my brother-in-law is around. :eek:

178-bplatoon and BamaT like this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Don't forget the sunscreen! ;)

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Just go with the flow and enjoy yourself. Don't make too many plans.

8. 5t8t2u

5t8t2u Member

If your dinner seating is at a table that you don't like, ask to change to a new table, and they will accomodate you. Also, you can ask for extra entrees and desserts if you want to try more than one. And if you order a bottle of wine at dinner and you don't finish it, they will keep the remainder for you until the next evening.

crackstar and Queen of Blades like this.
  9. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

Cell phone doesn't work at sea.Soon after sailing they will have a lifeboat drill . Don't miss it the get very nasty about missing it. After the drill, the crew, bends over backwards to please you. Close the lid on the toilet before flushing. Constantly wash your hands. The Norvirus loves cruise ships. On my last cruise through the Panamaa Canal the gentleman in the next cabin died of the virus. Get a deck chair early. People tend to claim them and don't come back. If the seas get rough don't sit near the pool. Remember drinks, soft drinks ,wine and liquor are extra. Enjoy yourself.

10. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

If you have any special dietary needs, go speak with the head waiter when you board the ship. They will go out of their way to accommodate your needs.

crackstar and Queen of Blades like this.
  11. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

If there are any activities or shows you like and they allow you to pre-book, it is a good idea, as they sometimes fill up. I missed out on a show and an excursion due to my indecisiveness! Cruises are great, as you can do everything or ablsolutely nothing at all and still have a great time. Bring a good novel for poolside or on deck reading. Have a wonderful time!

BamaT and Queen of Blades like this.
  12. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I've never been on a Cruise so I can't give too much advice. I agree with barrylu's advice about keeping your hands washed -- there was a story in the news here fairly recently about a Cruise where nearly everyone was ill!

Here it is: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ssengers-sick-norovirus-Caribbean-cruise.html

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've only been on two cruises JoAnna and would agree with all of the above. On my first cruise I didn't take any of the excursions, second one I took an excursion in every port. The excursions are fun, I'd suggest giving one or two a try. The on board shows are alot of fun also.. If you can get a balcony room get it, but be warned it will spoil you. Since this is your first cruise one more thing for you and your husband to remember "YMMV" also applies on a cruise. So if it's not all you had hoped don't be overly disappointed.. I really enjoy taking a cruise, my wife not so much(she feels trapped)..:) One more thing if you feel in anyway seasick(mostly this may happen in the first day or two) take the pills as soon as possible, I've heard the patch works also. A case of seasickness can ruin your cruise..:sick007: I hope you have a WONDERFUL time!!!!

14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Sea sickness... be prepared, even if you think you don't get sea sick! Also be prepared to not sleep well... the rocking of the ocean may or may not be like having your cradle rocked as a baby. (The two times I went on cruises, I didn't sleep hardly at all; it was miserable).

Back to sea sickness... two options.... dramamine (or similar) patches or pills. These work best if they are in your system before you start the cruise. They do almost nothing once you are already sea sick. Unfortunately, the drugs may also turn you into a zombie (which was my case. I could literally fall into a deep sleep at the drop of a hat). The natural (and very effective) alternative is ginger... you can get it in powdered form in capsules from any health food store, etc. I found that 3-4 / day with food just about solved my problem. You may want to have this in your system before you cruise as well. Just double check with any medications you are already taking, but for the most part ginger presents no problems. You do need to avoid it if you're on heart medication (conflicts with cardizem and similar). I think it also conflicts with blood thinners, but I'm not sure.

Hydration.... drink lots of water even if you go easy on the booze. And, as noted above, you'll have the option to eat just about constantly and will be tempted to splurge. Do so at your own risk. ;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. richgem

Can't wash your hands enough! In fact, you may or may not be forced to alcohol gel wash your hands before every meal. Do so whether forced to or not and as frequently as possible. Other people aren't as hygenic as you are.

16. richgem

Pulled up to their armpits in a vain attempt to hide the gut. You forgot that little "gem."

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

First of all: have fun!

As for sea sickness: go outside to fresh air and look out to the horizon. That way your eyes tell you the same thing as your inner ear (equilibrium sense - don't know the English / American lingo for that ;)). Sea-sickness occurs mostly when your eyes tell you everything stays still (for instance) while you feel you're moving. Luckily these days cruise ships are equipped with devices to stay level.

19. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

Cruise ships are eqipped with very sophisticated gyroscopes. Sea sickness is almost a thing of the past. I have some inner ear Labrynthine scarring due to a virus. I suffer from motion sickness. However, I have been on approximately 10 cruises and have never experienced any motion distress on any of them.

20. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

How exiting! I think you'll have a wonderful time. A few things that you hopefully won't need, but will be happy to have if you do-- antacid, immodium, decongestant, earplugs & eye mask if you have trouble sleeping.

Happy travels!! :)