How Many of You Shave With Just Shaving Oil?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Ryan B, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

My dad uses The Grooming Lounge Pre-Shave Oil. He puts it on before he puts his cream or soap on. But on the bottle, it says that it can be used solo.

I have been thinking of trying it to see if it will work for me if I can't bring a brush and cream along with me.

How many of you can get a successful shave with just a shave oil?

2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Interesting post, I've been wondering the same thing since watching a video on Italian Barber on shaving with shaving oil only, and reading another article from someone advocating shaving with only olive oil and using only water for additional passes and touch ups. I tried using my 2 parts olive oil 1 part castor oil pre-shave on a very small place with no soap or cream, and I didn't care for it at all. Maybe the shaving oil used by the guy on Italian Barber is better than my pre-shave concoction, but I've got to think a good lather from soap/cream adds some slickness and cushion.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I like using my Shave Secret oil as a base coat as I believe it gives me added blade protection keeping the blade from catching but, I'd wouldn't want to use it solo as directed.

4. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

I shaved with conditioner a few mornings ago. My alarm did not ring and I did not have enough time to make lather so i just took conditioner. I figured it would work because it softens your hair, so it must soften your beard. It worked great, and it is what i will use from now on if in a hurry, so i do not have to clean a brush and bowl. The only thing keeping me from using it every day is warm lather feels awesome on you face,it is relaxing.

5. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

I've used Shave Secret solo for a WTG pass but I wouldn't use it for anything past that.

I've gotten pretty good 3 pass shaves out of the Razorock Shave Gel but I don't think I'd buy it again unless I knew I'd be traveling.

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I've got a small bottle of shaving oil. Tried it 'bout two weeks back. Works great!
    Easy-peasy:
    1. Moisten skin
    2. Apply 4 drops on your hand (yes, four should be enough for mug shaving, legs may need more :D )
    3. Apply to face / legs / dome / armpits / whatever you wish to shave :p )
    4. Shave (I've shaved once with shave oil and used some extra drops for the 2nd pass - didn't trust it yet -, but used no extra oil for the 3rd pass. No problems)
    SoS 2013-01-07.jpg

Pro: quick! (no lathering needed)
    Drawback: you don't get to use your brush! :angry017:

Enjoy!

RaZorBurn123, JRod22 and Ryan B like this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I've done quick touch-ups (when I missed a spot) with just oil. But never done a full shave that way. Lathering up my legs is too nice to skip.

8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yep. lathering is too nice!

Oh, and another drawback: you can't see where you've already been shaving. So you'll have to take care not to miss a spot!

9. bittermormon

the weird gray slurry of whiskers mixed with oil is interesting however.

PLANofMAN, BamaT and macaronus like this.
  10. Ryan B

I wouldn't use shave oil solo unless I was in the field. I can only imagine how convenient it would be when I'm on the move and have to shave in a hurry. I guess I just have to man up and try it. But I will never give up lathering.

11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Did both water and oil solo shaves with carts, de's and straight type razors..still working on that last one lol. The straight type shaver seemed to have the best affinity for water and oils. It's definitely doable, but I find soap gives a smoother and closer result. The best way to really know is to experience first hand..and you should also try out the water shave...

macaronus likes this.
  12. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

I like to use oil or the Razorock shave gel when trying a new razor so I can see what I'm doing & figure out the best angles (for leg shaving). They work fine for me, but I like variety & making lather too much not to use soaps.

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I was in a hurry once and I tried a shave with Somerset's oil - no good. :(

14. Ryan B

Well I can tell you that if I wasn't in the military, I would never shave. If there's a day where I'm in a hurry, it's not the end of the world if I miss a shave. But with the military, that is a major no-go. Since I go to college, I can go to college unshaved and no one cares.

15. bittermormon

I just wanted to post here that for the last 2 days I've used only Shave Secret and had great shaves. Sunday I was late getting ready for church (stupid snow shoveling) and did a quick 2 pass shave in the shower, reapplying 5 drops before each pass, and was surprised with the results. This morning I wanted to see if lightning struck twice so I did a 3 pass in the shower and again was more than happy. I use Dorco 300's in my EJ DE87 and got as close as I have with any soap and zero irritation. This isn't going to be my everyday shave, but if I'm in a hurry, it's nice to have zero cleanup.

The oil also has left my skin VERY soft afterwards.

macaronus likes this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So you're sayin' that when you're done with the military, you're giving up TSD and all this shaving fun?!?!?

17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

My pre-shave oil was formerly 2 to 1 EVOO and castor oil. I don't always use it, and honestly couldn't tell a lot of difference when I used it and didn't. I used it mostly thinking it had to offer some additional lubrication, and it probably does. I recently bought a bottle of grape seed oil, and added it to some of my previously mixed oil that was about a third empty. The resulting oil was certainly thinner, and seemed to be slicker.

Which brings us to today. I had a day off, and didn't shave until about 11:00 a.m. I was in a bit of a hurry. I applied a nickel sized amount of oil to my face, and on a lark decided to try shaving with just the oil. Previously I had tried shaving only with my original EVOO and castor oil mix, and it did not work very well at all. What a difference adding the grape seed oil made. It was a very comfortable shave. I made 2 additional passes using water only with no problem. I believe by not lathering with soap, a light film of oil was left, making the subsequent passes easy with water.

I came away with a near BBS shave, no irritation, and one weeper that was my fault. I still enjoy lathering up some soap, and taking the brush to my face, and that will continue to be my usual shave. But, I just may have found an easier way to shave when travelling on business, or when in a hurry. It worked nicely.

18. Ryan B

Never. This is fun to me and now my opinion has changed. You ain't getting rid of me that easily. ;)

BamaT likes this.
  19. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

My sister gave me a cheap electric razor and two small bottles of Somersets Oil for Christmas...both of which remained unused until about a month ago. Never gave much thought to shaving. What was there to think about? Put some shaving cream on your face, grab a disposable razor and be done with it. Real simple.

My opinion changed the day I made an extra special effort to get a close shave to impress my girl. After all that effort she glances at me and casually remarks "...you missed a spot".
    Thus became my adventure.

Rather disheartening to learn at age 57 I knew next to nothing about shaving. Through a relatively short period of trial and error, I learned how to achieve a nic free, razor burn less close shave. I began by switching from disposable razors to an old fashion straight razor. Worked great until I realized I was shaving a layer or two of flesh off my face with each shave. My face would be so raw. Couldn't imagine doing THAT everyday...hence my decision to try the dust gathering electric razor.

I didn't know anything about prepping the face prior to shaving, so that cheap electric razor did nothing but annoy me. Bought a Braun Series 3 wet/dry shaver and the results weren't much better. I hadn't yet realized how important prepping my face prior to shaving was. And trying to use my new shaver with shaving gel produced mixed results. Messy as well.

I replaced my shaving gel with Creamo Cream, which was mildly disconcerting 'cause it doesn't foam like creams or gels. What it DID do was give me the closet shave I've ever experienced without the accompanying shaving nicks and irritations.

Finally got around to using the Somersets Oil my sister gave me because I felt guilty not having tried it. I applied the same technique I learned through using Creamo Cream...wet my face with hot water (critical step I've come to learn), massage 4-5 drops of oil to my face, twiddle my thumbs a bit and shave. Real simple. I love that stuff. Gives me as close to a straight razor shave I'm likely to get. And it moisturizes my face in the process. I don't walk away from the mirror feeling like I've been in a fight.

("Your FACE is NOT the ENEMY!")

The only down side is I've become rather obsessive about shaving since I've learned what a close shave is. I follow up an already close shave by searching for stray hairs my razor misses with a disposable. Mind you, these aren't hairs you can SEE. These are hairs I've TRACKED DOWN running my hands over my face. I have to friggin' force myself to stop shaving. But shaving oil is all I use now...with excellent results.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014