This Weekend Showed Me

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Ryan B, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Why I will be using canned crap when I travel. I still use a DE even when I fly. I just check my blades in my bag since I get my luggage fees waived. I can usually get a good shave with canned crap and knew I should have taken it with me to drill. Instead, I opted to use Pacific Shave Cream. This is a brushless cream. It sucked. I started with a warm shower, washed my face with some face wash, and then applied the cream. I just put a nickel sized amount on my hand and rubbed it in occasionally adding water. I like everything about it except the fact that it offered no protection to my face.

Initially, the shave seemed alright; but at the end of drill; my face was a mess. Irritation, ingrowns, and red spots appeared on my face. Talk about embarrassing. Thank god for Witch Hazel.

So I know some of you have moved completely away from canned crap, and that is great. I have stopped using it and only use it maybe twice a month for drill or any other time I have to travel and can't bring all my comfort gear with me.

*Disclaimer: This is strictly aYMMV issue and should in no way keep you from trying Pacific Shave Company.*

2. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

Try CO Bigelow brushless or KMF. Both have treated me well. You're probably better off trying these experiments in the comfort of your home though.

JRod22 likes this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I tried some Neutrogena brushless stuff and felt exactly the same way about it Ryan. I ended up using it as a pre-shave though. It was easy to throw on and let it sit there while I whipped up my real lather. I still need a good option for traveling when I just can't carry a lot of stuff with me though.

I was thinking about trying the Bigelow by just putting it on with my hands. Maybe this weekend I'll try that out. One of the small tubes of that wouldn't take up much room at all.

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Well thank "GOD" for witch hazel anyway..:happy102:
    Seriously you should use whatever works for you at any particular time even "canned crap" if thats what works. Heres something to think about,have you ever tried "face lathering"? You could take a cheap brush(Van der Hagen boar or # 6 Horse hair) that won't kill you if something happens to it and some cream and just face lather at drill?? The brush and tube together won't be much if any bigger than a can and probably lighter also. Shaveabuck has several different cream brands. The tubes are small/thin. I've face lathered Herbs of Bulgaria "Lavender" and liked it...:)

5. Ryan B

I know right? If this happened to me at annual training, I would have a miserable two weeks.

6. Ryan B

Those brushless creams are probably meant for carts now that I think about it. But yes, I could possibly try CO Bigelow, I'll have to stop by the mall and pick some up. Good thing I could walk to the mall if it wasn't so cold.

Dude witch hazel is my life saver. ;) But seriously, I have a Surrey brush that would probably be a good idea to try this brush out next time. I've seen those tubes at Shaveabuck, now I just have to figure out which exotic cream would be best for me in this occasion.

7. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Face lathering a cream is about as easy as it gets, and very satisfying! Even works well if all you have in the field is cold water! And with a quality cream like Bigelow or KMF you'll be taking care of your skin. Seems like a winner to me!

Ryan Bales likes this.
  8. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I was wondering about being able to travel with my razor. I have a couple trips coming up where I will be flying and was curious about traveling with my razor. So if I put my razors in a bag that I check then there is no issue, correct? Most of the trips I will be taking are only for 3-4 days and I may only have a carry on. If that is the case then I cannot bring blades or razor? If anyone knows any information about this please fill me in.

9. Ryan B

I'm usually a face latherer. I wet my brush, put an almond size amount of cream on the brush, wety face then rub it in. I just have to have a way for my brush not to get all mildewed since I can't leave my gear out.

10. Ryan B

They are major league a-holes when it comes to bringing blades on a carry on. I would suggest using an Injector or biting the bullet and use a cart.

11. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

You can carry on the razor, but not the blades. This is from googling "TSA safety razor"
    Sharp Objects

Item Prohibited
    Carry-on? Checked?
    Box Cutters X OK
    Ice Axes/Ice Picks X OK
    Knives - except for plastic or round bladed butter knives X OK
    Meat Cleavers X OK
    Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, and safety razor blades (disposable razors and their cartridges are permitted) X OK
    Sabers X OK
    Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than 4 inches are allowed, but blades longer than 4 inches are prohibited X OK
    Swords - cutting or thrusting weapons, including fencing foils X OK
    NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

12. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

I just face lathered for the first time today. Very nice results

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

This maybe a stupid question, but do you or can you take a hair dryer to drill? I use a hair dryer to dry my brush after my shave everyday, at least the bloom part above the handle knot. Also you could get a synthetic brush......:)

14. Ryan B

You know, that is a really good question... I would rather run the risk of having a mildewed brush instead of getting made fun of for lugging a hair dryer along just for a brush. :p

FacialCarnage likes this.
  15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I travel quite often and never have problems with the razor and the TSA. The blades I've snuck through more than I'd like to admit, but get caught about a third of the time. It's easier to just mail blades fwd if you know where you'll be staying, use the disposables that the hotel provides, or hit Wallyworld and get some Wilkies or a disposable if you don't use the hotel's.

Lately, I've been using the hotel's cheapy disposable just for the different perspective. It will show you how much your shave technique has improved at the same time showing you that DE shaving delivers a superior shave over the other wet shave methods. I can get a super comfy shave but not very close using those plastic things.

Make sure that you remove your blade from the razor. I wouldn't give the TSA any reason to confiscate your razor. Blades, fine. Take my razor and you're gonna need to call for backup!

FacialCarnage likes this.
  16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Mi caro amigo, in all my years I have had exactly 6 shaves with canned stuff, and except for perhaps once with Colgate Aloe foam which I bought in Florida many years ago, I hated those shaves. The Colgate Aloe stuff seemed to be more pleasant because of the scent and it gave my face pretty good skincare. The day after I used the stuff, I went to a pharmacie near my parents' place and bought a Wilkinson brush and a tube of Noxzema lather cream which at that time was still in production. Did you know that for years this was my go-to cream? Man, is it terrific - I still have a bunch of tubes which I am cherishing!

17. Ryan B

Wow that is amazing that you can count on both hands how many times you have used canned caca. I've used it countless of times because I was ignorant to the ways of wet shaving. My dad has the Colgate Aloe can and uses that or a can of Aveeno if he's in a major hurry. I know you love that Noxzema Lather Cream. I trust your judgement and am sure that if I ever came across it so would I. Plus if I didn't, I know the perfect person to pass it onto. ;)

crackstar likes this.
  18. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

What, now I can't even take my saber with me on a plane? What the hell is this world coming too?

battle.munky likes this.
  19. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Next you'll tell me no ice axes...what?

feeltheburn likes this.
  20. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Well at least plastic knives are ok so I guess a CIA letter opener should be no problem right?
    [​IMG]

Lexicon Devil likes this.