Advanceable Razor Band Cartridge

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Larry Stephenson, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Larry Stephenson

Larry Stephenson Active Member

I learned to shave with a DE, what my dad used at the time. A few years later ('70s) I tried a razor that I’ve only recalled when reading over the posts here, but have seen no reference to it specifically.

This cartridge-type razor, all from memory here, had a black plastic handle with a cream head and a band blade inside the cartridge. When you turned a knob on the back of the cartridge, a razor ‘band’ advanced (rolled) over with the used portion of the band being wound back up into the cartridge. When you’d used the entire band of new razor, it just stopped, indicating a cartridge change. I think there was also some sort of number indicator on top, either to count the number of blade advancements, or to adjust the razor angle.

Does anyone know what I’m talking about, here? Could be wrong, but I’m thinking Remington. Can remember nothing about the quality of shave it provided, but now I sure wish I hadn’t tossed it.

2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Sounds like a Techmatic. I have never seen one up close, but I heard they were junk.

3. Larry Stephenson

THAT'S IT! And yeah, as I recall more about it, it sucked! I remember now, hating it, and staying with it a few extra days caused my parents, yeah, even my mother, were laughing at it, my dad cause it was gimicky and gave terrible, almost dangerous, results, and my mom cause she knew why I hadn't thrown it away yet! Ah, memories (and scars).

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have one. Used it a few weeks ago, or tried to. Your dad was right. It is a safety razor only if you don't use it.

Want it? :p

178-bplatoon, ohpaos, JRod22 and 2 others like this.
  5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a picture of one.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good shots here, plus the instructions...

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...Q&biw=1366&bih=617&sei=0zb8UJGpDYS-8ATntYDgDQ

I've had maybe three Techmatics over the years. It's a good idea but just never seemed to work well. Best theory on why it doesn't work well is that the band blade allows too much flex, leading to less of a close shave combined with increased nicks...the worst possible combo, which is exactly what I've gotten every time I've tried one.

Warner-Hudnut produced a more ornate version in the early '60s but I have never seen one in usable shape. I can't expect it was much different.

7. Larry Stephenson

Attached Files:

8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pic. Did that come out before the Trac 2, because I don't remember that one at all?

9. Larry Stephenson

I think it did come out before the Trac 2, but I'm just guessing here, early 70s, maybe?

10. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The Gillette Techmatic came out around 1965, Schick also had a similar razor that they called the Band Razor.

11. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

I used the Techmatic when it arrived on the market. To me, it was a novelty and not nearly as good as the Gillette DE razors that came before it or the Trac II that followed it.

12. themba

themba Member

I don't know what you guys are talking about! I love band razors. The Schick adjustable band razor is one my favorite razors. I am not sure why band razors get such a bad rap. I think they are great. The blade (band) is stainless steel so the vintage ones hold up well. Long ago I scored a large lot of Schick bands razors. Ever so often, they pop up on Ebay and the prices are good.

Maybe it's just the Gillette Techmatic that sucks! :happy097:

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I remember using the Techmatic once in the 60s. It was junk. :prrr:

14. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Glad the band worked for you. YMMV again!

15. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Like themba, I love band razors. I have used the Techmatic and the Schick adjustable and they both give me great easy shaves. No other razor gets as much bad press and I just don't understand.

16. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

My dad gave me his techmatic when he learned about my interest in "old" shaving. He didn't have any carts to go with it so I tossed it. I see that some do like that style of razor but my dad has nothing good to say about it.

17. Ryan B

I know they're bad, but are they any worse than the 5 bladed scams that are out today?

18. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I can get a safe, close shave using a 5 blade cart. The problem comes with the cost and the skin issues that develop over time.

From what I've read, there's some potential for unsafe shaves with a techmatic. The blade band loosens too easily, etc...

19. Ryan B

I agree. When I used cartridges, I would get really bad bumps that wouldn't break the surface of my skin. My face wouldn't be covered in them, I would just have three or four big ones on my neck or cheeks. While my shaves aren't perfect with a DE or straight, they are tons better than they used to be.

20. themba

themba Member

Again, I don't know what you guys are talking about!? I never had a band blade that loosened on me and I have used plenty. Unsafe?? NOT! All I can think of is that everyone's memories of these razors are from "back in the day" when they had no idea how to shave properly. Probably would have cut yourselves with a butter knife. :D:happy108:

Bird Lives likes this.