Finally put the straight to my face ...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Dusty5150, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Dusty5150

Dusty5150 Well-Known Member

and didn't cut myself! :D

I've had a brand new Dovo best 5/8 full hollow sitting in my sock drawer for over a year and finally decided to start learning. My excuse up until now was that I didn't have a strop, but I think I was actually kinda scared LOL. I still don't have a strop, but I did use an old leather belt, which should tide me over until I get an actual razor strop(?).

I followed all of the expert advice and just did one swipe, on each cheek (i wear my sideburns to my jawline), to get a feel. My initial thoughts were that it was kinda grabby and i found my arm positioning kind of awkward. I am sure this is normal(?) and practice will make perfect.

My plan is to continue shaving just my cheeks, with one pass of the straight, for about a month, or until i feel comfortable to get at other areas.

A question I have - for my left side, should I learn with my left hand right off the bat, or should I crossover with my right? If one is preferred over the other long term, I'd just as soon start doing it from day 1.

cheers! and make room for another straight shaver :cool:

JoeB likes this.
  2. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I'm just getting into shaving with a straight as well. I think using my left hand is easier than the awkward backhand grip you need to shave the left side of your face with your right hand. And I can see myself getting accustomed to it with a couple weeks of practice. My hard part is what grip to use to shave South > North (WTG) on my neck. That's really awkward.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Not having a strop is only going to hinder you by destroying your edge. Go to Star Shaving and get one of their laptop strops for $13.00 and get started on the right foot. Definately start using that left hand as it will become comfortable in no time.

4. Dusty5150

I tried crossing over today, tomorrow I'm going to try left handed; we'll see how it goes I guess - I'm just wondering if I should focus one way or the other - I'm guessing learning left handed is likely better. I'm not even going to think about my neck yet; I'm S->N for WTG like you - I'm also worried about the upper lip :scared001: but at least that/s N-S.

5. Dusty5150

thanks for the advice ... balsa, felt or leather?

6. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think technique wise being able to use your left hand a great skill to have. But it is YMMV just like anything else. Some guys get better results or feel more comfortable using only their right hand and see no need to learn how to use their left hand. IMO upper lip isn't so bad, I'm sure once you do just your cheeks with good results a few more times you will get bored of only doing your cheeks and gain enough confidence to shave more areas.

7. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I go with the left hand instead of crossing over. Of course that is what works best for me. Besides getting a more comfortable shave, it serves as a good brain exercise as well, using your less dominant hand, or so I've been told.

8. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm a two handed shaver but I'm naturally pretty ambidextrous. There is no right way, just use whatever your most comfortable with. I'd have to do a lot of thinking to shave one handed.

9. Williams Warrior

I have the CrOx pasted balsa and the black latigo laptop. I've seen no need for the linen or felt.

10. Dusty5150

Thanks for the feedback guys ... crossing over felt really awkward, and I couldn't see what i was doing very well, so i might force myself to try and learn left handed.

WW - black leather laptop ordered .. thanks for the tip on the inexpensive strop option!

11. Williams Warrior

Your welcome.

12. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

Being a new convert also, I experienced some of the same problems. I did strop with a leather belt and it worked fine. The first time I shaved with it, my eyes started to tear so it was back to the honing stone. I got it nice and sharp that time around and it passed the hair drop test. It did feel like it pulled a little more than a de, but it was not uncomfertable. It was not a very close shave with a WTG and XTG pass. Is there any way to get a closer shave? Is it a matter of sharpness or technique?

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    A freshly honed razor must be stropped to finish the edge. That stropping will be much longer than the routine daily stropping. The hair drop test is not a good indicator of shave readiness. I've had very dull razors pass the hair drop test.

14. vinthechin12

Here are the pictures that I could not pm you. image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I tried initially to use the right hand for everything but after reading about straight shaving, it seemed like learning the 2 handed technique would be cool. First time I tried my left hand I cut my earlobe open and was bleeding like a stuffed pig. I continued to try for a few more weeks and went back to the DE. After handling that straight, these DE razors are childsplay! Never thought I'd be saying that!

16. vinthechin12

Left handed was also awkward for me the first few times I tried it. It will get better. I started with a shavette so by the time I had the straight I had the switch hand technique worked down pretty well.

JRod22 likes this.
  17. Dusty5150

I tried shaving left handed this morning and it wasn't as awkward as it I would have expected.

I did a quick test on how to handle S-N on the neck and I found just flipping the str8 around in my hand seemed to work, rather than trying to twist the wrist around - is this how it's done?

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

It is a little tuggier. You have a longer blade length at work, so this is probably normal. Doing a little extra prep work helps. For me, even small differences in slickness between soaps become more noticeable when str8t shaving.

vinthechin12 likes this.
  19. Dusty5150

got my laptop strop Friday, so I decided to try a full shave this morning. I did 50 trips on the strop, and did a WTG pass and a quasi-ATG/XTG pass. 1 weeper and a small nick under my nose when i was a bit too close trying to figure out how to position the blade under there. Nothing a little alum didn't take care of. The shave was OK, not the closest ever, but close enough for me :) It was fun for sure. Not something I'll be doing everyday, but weekly at least.

any of you guys have to wear glasses when you shave? how do you manage the reach-over-the-head-to-pull-the-cheek-skin-up manuever with glasses on? any tips would help. and no, i cant shave without them on LOL that'd be like shaving with your eyes closed.

JRod22 likes this.
  20. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I'm lucky enough to be near sighted, so I don't need to wear my glasses to shave. But I will give it a go just to see what it's like and if I find any helpful techniques i'll let you know.