messy when creating lather

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by jcr12388, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

does anybody else get cream everywhere when creating a lather in a bowl? mine gets all over my brush to the bottom of the handle and falls out the bowl. it is a great lather though

oldtrout and feeltheburn like this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Well, you're obviously doing it right then.

BigT and ohpaos like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not me. Sounds like your bowl is too small.
    But, hey, it's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

4. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

lol i dont enjoy making a mess. maybe ill try a bigger bowl though

5. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

how big is your bowl? can u post a pic?

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Here's a pic of my shaving bowl collection.
    Back row, l-r:
    1) a vintage RRP Co. Roseville Ohio crock (marked 303-A). I found it at an antique mall in PA.
    2) a rather large chowder mug from Cabin Pottery. They had a booth at the 2011 Machias (Maine) Blueberry Festival.
    3) another chowder mug. I picked this one up in Bar Harbor, Maine back in 2009, I think it was.
    Front row, l-r:
    1) a true lather bowl from Vintage Blades LLC. It was a 2010 Christmas gift from my wife.
    2) another antique mall find. Etched into the underside is "Waterloo NJ 72" with initials that look like AS.
    3) a personalized mug from Classic Shaving. They only do monograms and/or logos. I kinda wish you could find a place to personalize mugs like back in the day. View attachment 27878

ohpaos likes this.
  7. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

very nice. ya mine is as big as your blue bowl in the front row

8. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I usually confine my lather o the bowl (more or less) but when I face lather than it's all over the place :D

9. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

What kind of brush are you using? A short handle + deep bowl may predispose one to lathercatastrophe.

Here are a couple of threads that you may find helpful from the Shave School Forum of TSD

Comprehensive Guide to Lathering:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...-shavesticks-in-a-bowl-and-on-the-face.15278/

Shave School Master Sticky:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/shave-school-master-sticky.16034/

Mantic's Tutorial Videos -- see #2 of the master sticky list for link. Mark has some great vids & tips for bowl lathering

10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I was in the same boat as you. I just grabbed an old coffee mug and used that. I still have to buy a bowl, but I mainly face lather.

11. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Perhaps use a little less product? I know, I know - that could be considered blasphemous!

12. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Since I started using one of those big 4 in. soup/coffee cups, my messes have calmed down considerably. If I use a smaller bowl I have lather all over the handle of my brush and running down the sides of the bowl. So you're not alone brother.

13. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I tried face lathering today and it was a lot messier than bowl lathering! Had to really work hard to get a decent lather (palmolive cream)...this was probably because of my newbieness + hard water.

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

It happened to me too. You'll figure out how much water to add/not add after you get the hang of it.

15. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

Guilty.
    If I used a five gallon bucket I'd still end up having lather creep over the rim! Okay, that's a bit hyperbolic, but I just love the lather.