broken alum block

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jcr12388, Feb 24, 2013.

1. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

ordered an alum block from amazon and the damn thing was cracked in 2 when i took it out of the box. and i had no idea they were so small. i was expecting to be as big as a bar of soap lol. mine fits in the palm of my hand

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

The alum bloc I got from Amazon labeled Bloc Osma was almost a clear block, it was very smooth. After a few months I dropped it on the counter and it broke into several pieces. If I hadn't dropped it, it probably would have lasted for years.

[​IMG]

I then ordered a replacement

[​IMG]
    This was about half the price, and was an opaque white, kinda like a pressed together cake. It was broken when I received it.

I will do without an alum block for awhile, because I'm not convinced it does much for me and may even irritate my skin a little. If I order another, I don't think I'll order the cheap one.

JRod22 likes this.
  3. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

Contact Amazon they are really good about sending replacement. I've personally never used one but I'm learning less is best when it comes to my face

JRod22 and Star like this.
  4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

This is the same one I ordered a year ago. I share the same opinion as you. It does a great job at toning up the skin on my face, but I don't think it does any good for my neck. YMMV

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Just order the razorock one with the handle on it. It works well, but I only use it on weepers.

6. michael54

Ryan u seem to have the same skin as me do u ever get white heads on your neck after going at a few days in a row? I can't figure out how to get rid of em tried tons of stuff the witch hazel seems to help a little bit

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I used to. Nowadays, they are just a rare occurrence. If I see bumps start to show up, I scrub them twice a day with my face wash on a wash cloth. I use a scrub every other day and put witch hazel on. They heal right up when I do that. Try it out it might work for you.

8. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

ya ill get a hold of them tomorrow

9. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I was at my local Brookshires grocery store the other day and they have a section that has different bar soaps and organic soaps and what not and I saw some deodorant that looked like alum. Sure enough it was alum block deodorant. It was only 1.99, so I bought one and brought it home to compare ingredients with my bloc osma. They were basically the exact same thing. So if your in need of a cheap alum, check your grocery store.

youngunn likes this.
  10. michael54

Yea its called the crystal or something like that I think

11. FacialCarnage

Yup, I think that's it.

12. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

hmm we dont have a brookshires but ill check to see at my grocery store. i doubt they have it tho. i also checked walgreens and cvs drug store and they dont carry it either

13. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

also, does anybody else use an alum block for other than shaving? i wash and moisturize my face daily and shave every other day. it probably wouldnt hurt to apply block after a good face wash to tighten up those pores lol

14. FacialCarnage

If I shower in the evening and don't need any heavy protection I will use my alum as deodorant. My gf likes to use it on her legs after shaving. I also use my alum block on my hands when shaving. My barber has a big block he uses on his hands when giving hot towel shaves to keep the razor snug in his hands.

15. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

Someone over on W_E melted an alum block down in their oven. I think it took an hour or so at around 200 degrees. They then poured into a mold. This would be a good option for broken blocks.

Personally I just buy mine at an Indian grocer for $1.25

youngunn, macaronus and FacialCarnage like this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I also use it as a deodorant.

macaronus likes this.
  17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Ditto, at least in colder weather. It doesn't quite make it for Summer use with me.

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Summer must be rough for penguins.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You have no idea.

[​IMG]

20. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Yep. I use mine almost exclusively as a deodorant. I had a severe problem with clogged pores and up to golfball-sized thingies in my pits. I've tried all kinds of stuff, and the alum seems to have solved the problem. Haven't seen an issue in about 5-6 months. I'll occasionally use it on my face if I have an unusual amount of cuts or irritiation