broken alum block

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jcr12388, Feb 24, 2013.

1. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

now ur using it as a deodorant for smell or as an antiperspirant to prevent sweat? mine doesnt smell like anything and for me id rather it be useful as an antiperspirant because i sweat alot lol

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

That's new to me!
    I'll try it tomorrow, I'm just out of deo (could use my son's deo of course, but alum sounds nice...)

3. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Well, I use it because the lack of artificial ingredients eliminates my clogged pore situation.

I think its neither completely deodorant nor antiperspirant. It does have properties of both though. It doesn't cover up any odors with an artificial scent, like a deodorant, but it does kill the bacteria that cause odor. The natural salts in it close my pores and I still sweat, but not as much. In my case, both sweat and odor are significantly reduced, although not eliminated.

Dunno, but it seems to work for me. YMMV

macaronus likes this.
  4. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

ok. do you use it on a daily basis for this issue? if you do, do you just apply it like you would post shave? maybe a cleanser, cold splash then block??

5. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

I
    Yep, everyday. I just run the Alum under some cold water, then apply like a regular stick antiperspirant.

6. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

awesome. well im definitely gonna try this out. if it doesnt work for my sweat then whatever. it still serves as a good toner

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It's used as a deoderant.... the salt of the alum makes your pits hostile to bacteria growth. The bacteria are what cause the odor. You will still sweat as if you didn't apply anything to your underarms.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Since this has turned into a deodorant thread, I will say that the alum deodorant can take up to a week of use before the odor control begins to really work. This is because it can take that long for it to A. kill the bacteria already there, and B. for your body to cleanse the pores in the pit of deodorant and antiperspirant buildup.

Some people have a reaction to the alum, and it's usually caused by irritation. For those people they do make a roll on alum deodorant, for the rest of us, just make sure either the alum block or your pits are wet before you apply it, and remember to dry the alum off afterwards.

macaronus and richgem like this.
  9. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

10. Star

Star Active Member

Does it really? I've used the crystal type deodorants before with no success. I did all the to-do's as well: shave, actually use it for more than a week, etc., etc. Then again I do sweat a lot....

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I get good results, but YMMV with this, as with many products.

12. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I got this stuff, seems to work nice, similar ingredients. [​IMG]
    Here's the info on it from ItalianBarber.com:
    RazoRock Aloe Alum Spray Deodorant 120ml
    A unique blend of mineral salts and certified organic aloe vera provides 24-hour natural deodorant protection.
    • Mineral salts eliminate odor-causing bacteria
    • Certified organic aloe vera soothes and softens the skin
    • No aluminum chlorhydrate or alcohol
    • Fragrance-free and hypoallergenic
    • Ozone friendly, non-staining, no animal testing
    Ingredients: Purified Water, Potassium Alum (Mineral Salts), Certified Organic Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Extract.
    Directions: Spray 5-6 times under each arm or on feet.

13. richgem

It doesn't work well for everyone. One thing helpful tho, is to apply it immediately after showering. In fact, I shower and leave my pits wet (auto-wetting the block thusly) and apply the block, rubbing it on several times in all directions.

14. Star

Star Active Member

Hmm I'll have to try that one weekend.

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

What Rich described is how I apply it.

16. richgem

Let us know how it works out.

The sooner you apply the block, the better (thus my procedure above)... once bacteria has started to (re)grow on your skin, it's that much harder for the block to work. It works much better at keeping bacteria away vs. killing off existing bacteria.

edit: also, after application, let your pits air dry or use a hair dryer on low. Do not towel them or blot them dry as you'll wipe off the alum.

17. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

When I got my alum block from amazon it came in broken. I contacted them they sent me a replacement and let me keep the broken one. The broken one is still useable so it is in my travel case.

18. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

i just called amazon and they wont send me another block because they got it from another vendor. said they would refund the money, but all i really want is a new one without the hassle of returning it. always takes way longer for a return to go through anyways

19. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I bought this one. Is that the same vendor as yours?

20. jcr12388

jcr12388 Member

im unable to click on your site. all i know is that it shipped from vermont