Valet Autostrop

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by waldoe, Feb 26, 2013.

1. waldoe

waldoe New Member

I found a Valet Autostrop safety razor in a box that also contained a straight razor and strop. The Valet is the kind that has a door that swings open to insert the blade. Just wondering if it would be worth the trouble to clean it up or not. I read somewhere that I wouldn't be able to get blades for this, I also read that these blades will fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    -Tom

2. Larry Stephenson

Larry Stephenson Active Member

I just got one of these, too. Very curious to know what you find out. Doesn't seem to me that modern DE blades would work, but who knows? I'm thinking of going the restoration route on the blades that came with it, cleaning them up and re-edging them; should last a while with a dozen or so blades. Hope to learn something about this thing on the thread. Thanks for starting it!

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The Feather blades pictured above will fit in all Valet razors. The early Valet's will work with de-spined SE blades because the blade just slides into the holder, but the later ones with the gate and the cutouts in a couple of the letters will only work with the Feathers or the original Valet blades.

Larry Stephenson likes this.
  4. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Like Tom said they should fit. I can promise that a valet razor with a feather blade makes for a very fine shave. You can't go wrong with that combo (IMO). :) good luck with it all.

5. waldoe

waldoe New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered a bunch of feather blades and will clean up the razor. It will be great to not have to spend 20$ a month on the schick refills.

JRod22 likes this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Please give us a full report after you use the Valet for a while...:)

7. King camp

King camp Well-Known Member

One thing the others have forgot to mention is not all are compatable with feather blades as I've found some that only VALET blades are useable in I don't know for sure but it looks like a feather will fit in yours

8. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I have one of these. De-splined an old SE blade like Tom suggested. Have yet to try it out because my brother saw it and weaseled it off of me. I would of let him keep it but all it's done is collect dust on his shelf. Going to have to take it back and at least get one shave in with it.

9. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I just got a Valet Autostrop from the Bay for $3 plus $2 shipping. I think it's a V2, it's not real pretty but it will give me a new razor to try (along with a couple of GEMs and Schick injectors I just got recently). I'll have to wait until I get the Feather blades though.

P1000342.JPG P1000343.JPG P1000344.JPG P1000345.JPG

Damn, I've got short, fat, pudgy fingers.

srpavko, King camp and JRod22 like this.
  10. King camp

yeah that's a vc2 and it will fit feather blades

11. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

There are a few models that the Feathers won't fit, you'll just have to try it and let us know about that particular model.

12. Larry Stephenson

Larry Stephenson Active Member

Nothing to do with the topic at hand, but if your avatar is a picture of you (mine's not) you're a fortunate man. That's a beautiful baby! I'm assuming it's yours.

JRod22 likes this.
  13. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

First let me say that I'm glad that's not your picture in your avatar :happy097: Second, that is my picture with my granddaughter, and she's a real blessing to me and my family. Thanks

14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

This isn't my picture in my avatar either:)

15. waldoe

waldoe New Member

while I have been waiting on my feather blades, my uncle ended up having a spare blade that fit. After my first wet shave I can say that it was the closest shave I have ever had. I think I will be tossing the schick in the garbage can.

Larry Stephenson and JRod22 like this.
  16. King camp

If that's a original blade and you have a strop it will last around 25 shaves

waldoe and JRod22 like this.
  17. waldoe

waldoe New Member

It is an original blade, although I have never used a strop before. I'm sure my uncle would be kind enough to either show me how or do it for me. I do have lots of experience sharpening knives on stones if any of that knowledge is transferable?

18. King camp

What I mean is a autostrop strop you can ask your uncle if he has one of those also as you obviously don't judging from your response

You just tie the one end to a hook and thread the other through the razor under the rollers and pull the strop taunt with one hand while pulling the razor back and forth a few times with the other hand image.jpg

JRod22 and srpavko like this.
  19. waldoe

waldoe New Member

Yeah, its not an autostrop strop. I'm not sure if my uncle has one or not but, I did find one on ebay in what appears to be good condition for $14.

20. King camp

You can get one if you want but it is only good for the VALET blades or the feathers that look like this image.jpg

waldoe likes this.