Gillette 7 o'clock green, yellow, black or blue?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gunslinger1108, Mar 6, 2013.

1. gunslinger1108

gunslinger1108 Active Member

Just ordered 3x 5 packs of the blue super platinum off of Amazon. Along with a bottle of Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum and a few other things.

So we shall see how I like these soon. Got to try out some Astra blades yesterday and today, the blade pulled and tugged as well as cut rough. Tried it in my Gillette ball tech, so I will try another razor and see if the blade does better or worse.

2. KORE

KORE New Member

I like the Pinaud Bay Rum it's a good staple for the den!

gunslinger1108 likes this.
  3. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Will someone please enlighten me on what the differences between the different "colors" are? I have only tried the blue super platinums that came in my sampler pack? I like them a lot. They will probably be my first 100-pack order.

4. GarGuy

GarGuy Well-Known Member

Tried the green super stainless last night, wonderful.

5. Java

Java Member

For me it's the Yellows, then the Blues, then the Blacks, then the Greens.

@gadabout; there are 5 (or so) different Gillette 7 o'clock blades, and the easiest way to refer to them is by the color of the package. Gunslinger's post (#17 in this thread) broke down the actual names and places of origin. For instance my favorites are refered to as "yellows" but they are actually "Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge"s from the old Gillette factory in Russia. (which happen to come in a yellow wrapper)

6. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply, Java. I guess what I was really asking was what makes one color different from another, performance-wise? Is it strictly country of origin, or do they all have different specs?

7. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

For me its the Blacks. Sharp and smooth :)

8. gunslinger1108

Well I got my order from Amazon in today. Didn't get what I ordered though. I ordered the 7 o'clock blues from Russia and received the 7 o'clock blacks from India. Called up Amazon and they didn't really understand what I was telling them but they went ahead and gave me a credit of half the price for the blades since I told them I will keep them to try out.

Here is the link to the item I ordered: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A96JBK/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title

The seller's name is mangup.

9. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

The Blacks are one of my very favorite blades.

10. gunslinger1108

Did my first shave with the 7 o'clock black last night before heading to work. Was running little late so I had to do a hasty shave. did two quick passes with the grain and I have to admit, if I could have taken my time I would have gotten very close to bbs. I have 15 blades to play with, going to see if these should be my next order in bulk.

Side note just ordered 100 yellow Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge off of Ebay. This is my first bulk buy.

11. I Call It Maize

I Call It Maize Well-Known Member

I have some yellows and really like them. I have read where some people thought they were as sharp as Feathers but I do not think so. I wish I had some of the others to compare. I don't have specific numbers but from the opinions i have read, the masses seem to like the Blacks over the others. Squire gave the Yellows the best rating.