The Angel of Corregidor

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Larry Stephenson, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Larry Stephenson

Larry Stephenson Active Member

Don't really know why, other than very great pride, I'm posting this here.

There was an article today in the New York Times about a relative of mine. The article's title is "Mildred Manning, ‘Angel’ of Corregidor, Dies at 98". Mildred was my grandmother's sister's oldest daughter and served as a nurse in WWII, the last surviving member of a group of nurses who stayed behind to care for wounded soldiers, and others, was a prisoner of war, and suffered terrible abuse at the hands of the Japanese. I know that this is pretty much neither here nor there for you guys, but I'm very proud to be able to count her as a member of my family.

Mildred 2.jpg

Luteplayers, BamaT, 5Savages and 9 others like this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

You have a right to be proud of this brave relative.

3. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

As a veteran, and I know we have several others here, I say it is both here and there. You should be proud. She performed a great service, at great personal risk and loss, and is therefore a hero. She should be mourned on her passing.

4. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Thank you for posting this, Larry. I saw the article & was deeply moved by the actions & sacrifice of your great aunt (cousin?) and her fellow nurses. They were heroes & I can see why your family is proud of Mildred Manning. May she rest in peace.

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting that Larry. Her story is one that should be remembered. Very sorry for your family's loss and may she rest in peace.

6. B-3

B-3 Active Member

The Greatest Generation

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I truly believe that.

8. old okie

old okie Member

I have great respect for anyone that signed the blank check that said that I will do my duty and my job whatever the cost, People have been drafted or joined to serve our country and a great number of them had that blank check cashed for thier all. Some were lucky and returned but all who died and all that served in our armed forces should have that respect.

ohpaos, GDCarrington, Heloguy and 2 others like this.
  9. Geordie Sam

Geordie Sam Active Member

The older generation often think that the "youngsters" of today couldn't or wouldn't step up to the plate when required to do so, but as has been seen recently by you Yanks, us Brits, the Canucks, Anzacs etc they have done their duty, and many have died, or been left terribly wounded whether physically or mentally. I personally DOFF my cap to ALL who have served their country whether right or wrong.Good people are good people, and they always have been down the generations. Someone once said, ALL MEN FEEL A LITTLE DIMINISHED NEVER HAVING BEEN A SOLDIER.And I for one think they were right.
    Geordie Sam. (someone who has NEVER been a soldier.)

BamaT, Lexicon Devil, ohpaos and 3 others like this.
  10. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Great post Geordie Sam.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

She served with honor! I give thanks for the sacrifices she made for our country!

ohpaos and Larry Stephenson like this.
  12. Geordie Sam

Can I please just sing the praises of an ordinary man, (my DAD) who fought in the jungle in Burma, he came back, many did not,(it was NO picnic) he went on to marry my Mother have 2 sons (one of which is writing this soppy rubbish) he worked as a Docker (long shoreman) for 40 years, smoked, drank endless bottles of "dog," but NEVER missed a days work, was a "man's man" and died on Sunday 3rd July 2005.
    We are lucky to have "dads" like this.
    Geordie Sam. (Geordie Stans Son.)

ohpaos, Heloguy, GDCarrington and 2 others like this.
  13. Larry Stephenson

Larry Stephenson Active Member

Thank you, everyone. I'm sure she would have been honored by your kind thoughts.

14. Geordie Sam

Thank YOU, for YOUR kind words.
    Geordie Sam.

15. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

16. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty wonderful.

17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I agree it is here and there, thanks for posting. My dad was a WWII Pacific vet, and Corregidor got my attention pretty quick. She did a great service.

Wullie and ohpaos like this.
  18. Geordie Sam

It has just been on the news here in the uk of a soldier, L/cpl James Ashworth (23) of the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards has been awarded (posthumously) the Victoria Cross (The highest Medal we give) for DIVING on a Taliban hand grenade and saving the lives of his mates.They had his photo up, what a good looking young lad,THIS is the calibre of "young people" we can be proud of, not the in-bred CHAVS (you call them trailer trash) that we see on these awful confrontational tv shows, where all they do is SHOUT at each other and have endless children.
    I'm going to mention his NAME again, L/cpl James Ashworth.
    Thank you.
    Geordie Sam.

BamaT, Heloguy, Wullie and 1 other person like this.
  19. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

My condolences on your loss Larry. I was stationed @ the US Navy Transmitter facility, Capas Tarlac from '88 - '91. It was located on the site of the Camp O'Donnell POW camp where the survivors of the death march were taken. There was a small cement cross that the captors made the prisoners construct. Each year we would have a memorial on the base attended by a lot of Death March survivors. Like most veterans, most of them wouldn't talk too much about what they went through. I did hear some horror stories about both the march and the camp. I respect all who served, but stand just a bit taller when saluting one of those heroes. I thank her for her service and know that God indeed has a place in heaven reserved for such an Angel.

BamaT, Wullie and Larry Stephenson like this.
  20. Wullie

Wullie Member

I had the honor of knowing one of the Bataan Death March survivors. He was one of the many Texas boys caught up in that mess. He died in the late 70's from an enlarged heart that was the result of being starved nearly to death by their Japanese captors.

My condolences to you on your loss of a family member and great lady that rose above it all.

I spent some time in the P.I. in '72 and flew over Corregidor. We couldn't land on the strip there that day as the wind was wrong and the strip still had craters from the bombings and artillery barrages from WWII. The wind was wrong for us to be able to use what was left of the existing runway. It's impressive yet, even from the air.

Larry Stephenson likes this.