My First Real straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by kpirie, Mar 17, 2013.

1. kpirie

kpirie New Member

IMG_0364 (800x598).jpg 4/8 rocketts Best and a 5/8 JR Torrey. Thanks Larry. Really like the 5/8 but now I know nothing smaller will do. Getting rid of that 4/8. IMG_0364 (800x598).jpg

ohpaos, Wullie, Ryan B and 1 other person like this.
  2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Congratulations and enjoy the Torrey. Straights are a nice journey.

Wullie likes this.
  3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

4. Wullie

Wullie Member

Personally, I can shave just fine with a 4/8. 5/8 is better and I really like my 9/8. I don't recommend starting with a meat cleaver though. 5/8 and 6/8's are a nice size to use and learn with. I learned with a 6/8 full hollow and went backwards in technology. I prefer a heavier grind than the full hollows. The thin blades on the full hollows are noisy. LOL

The older half hollows and near wedges are very quiet. I like that aspect since I wear hearing aids and they amplify all the racket the full hollows make. For me it's rather like fingernails on the black board.

Like lindyhopper66 sez, Torrey's are awesome razors. You ought to read up on the history of that company too. It's an interesting read and a sad story of riches to rags.

Enjoy the journey.

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I love that rasping sound of the full hollows but, I don't care for the extra hollows as they are too thin and give me irritation. I do want to eventually try a wedge though.