advice needed please

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cj., Mar 19, 2013.

1. cj.

cj. New Member

Hello everybody
    i am looking into getting my first proper de razor sometime soon. i have been using a dorco pl model for a while and its time for an upgrade . im thinking about a progress long handle or a futur merkur after loads of research i still cant pick one . tips please from korea

2. GarGuy

GarGuy Well-Known Member

Edwin Jagger DE89 with a good blade sampler pack

BigT likes this.
  3. cj.

cj. New Member

was looking at that as well but read that it's on the agressive side need to do the back of my neck every couple of shaves , the dorco is really a mild shave

4. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Hmmm... Don't know how it compares to the Dorco, but the EJ DE89 is actually quite mild, on the order of a Gillette Tech! The Progress and Futur, on the other hand, can be adjusted to meet whatever your needs may be, or may become. They are also built to last. Very excellent choices actually, so long as you are committed to wet shaving and don't mind the expense.

GarGuy and Hanzo like this.
  5. GarGuy

GarGuy Well-Known Member

DE89=very mild, and forgiving... IMO, easier to learn with than a progress or futur especially.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den.
    Please read this ---> *click* for what razor to get.

BigT likes this.
  7. cj.

cj. New Member

have spent hours looking through thank you swarden 43 for your tip

8. cj.

cj. New Member

cheers for the input guys .will be looking to get an ej89

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Great! When you get it, I hope you will tell us how you are doing. BTW, make sure to get a sampler pack of some different brands of blades.

10. cj.

cj. New Member

have blades coming from best shave ..their in the post should be here by 2014 .i tried my own shave oil after reading your tutorials thank you .west coast shaving is all out of the de89 is there any other sellers with international shipping ?

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I started using a Gillette FatBoy adjustable and they are nice,but rather expensive. I wound up with and actually much prefer a 3 piece razor and you can get a good one a "WHOLE" bunch cheaper.. My daily use razor and so my choice is an EJ89. For my face the head is excellent(smooth, close and irritation/nick free),but I didn't care for the I.M.O. overly slick handle. I now use a Weber SS BullDog :happy088: handle with my EJ head. A cheaper ,as effective and a nice looking alternative is the Sabi T2 razor from "shaveabuck"( I have one of those also). You spend less money than on the Weber hadle alone and you wind up with two complete razors.....:) Probably the way to go is if you like the looks get the Sabi T2 first and if you enjoy the shave your done,if the Sabi head isn't to your liking (smooth or close enough) then you can try the EJ89 and you've already got a nice handle for it...:) R.A.D. is such a terrible thing..:(

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

ConnaughtShaving.com (in the UK) does. BTW, where are you? Oh, and I am glad you like the shaving oil.

13. cj.

cj. New Member

im in south korea .will look at the sabi .thanks

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have to ask, what city? I spent some time in Seoul, when my husband was there, in the Army.

15. cj.

cj. New Member

im in seoul .irish at heart .got some shaving stuff today through a friend from the px will collect tomorrow. sent shaveabuck an email just now .cheers

16. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Welcome to TSD, cj!
    image.jpg

17. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I tried the EJ 89LBL and it was a good razor, but within 2 week I had sold it to a friend. I ended up switching to a Gillette Open Comb razor and love it. I have about 6 vintage razors that I keep in my rotation and the old gillettes are the best shaves, imo. I shave daily so I wanted something mild that I could get BBS of close shaves every day without irritation.

Don't get me wrong...I think the EJ is a good razor and great quality, but it wasn't for me....and I like shiny things. I am waiting on a never used Vintage Merkur Sol. to arrive also.

18. cj.

cj. New Member

really thank full for the advice guys .
    i would love to try those old razors but they simply can not be found over here .
    im going to europe next month and im going to look for a vintage .
    even asked my father to have a look at his old stuff but they were all thrown out .
    i also have to shave every day so mild is good.
    shaveabuck wants a total of $54 shipped to korea for the de89 checked last night .

19. cj.

cj. New Member

by the way facial i saw how you shine up the old ones really good .

FacialCarnage likes this.
  20. cj.

cj. New Member

bestshave delivered in only 8 days to korea .