Sensitive gents/gals only please!!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Woknblues, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

I was inspired to create a thread that would identify the irritating soaps/ creams so that gents like me (and others like me) could avoid getting burnt. (literally), and possibly save them time and money.

Upon further reflection, rather than make a list of bad ones, I figure, even better would be to make a list of GOOD ones. As always, YMMV. This way, some noobs like myself can get a good idea of what is out there, and perhaps plan our purchases with a little extra knowlege going in. So again, anyone have a sensitive face, but manage to find great products without "the burn"? I am looking for alternatives to the "no fun" unscented, wherever possible. Please only suggest soaps and creams if you are a sensitive type.

I will get the ball rolling here

QED Grapefruit/Peppermint
    Salter Vetivier Cream

Everything else bothered me.. HELP!!

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I can pretty much do any thing with EO's/Natural products.

FO's/Chemicals/Parbins tear me up but good, so I avoid them.

Good thing Menthol is OK. :cool:

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I recommend looking for soaps and creams with the same ingredients as the two you mentioned.

I can mention several soaps and creams that do not affect me but maybe they will irritate your face. The other side of that is that those that do not affect you may affect others. Maybe all natural ingredient soaps and creams may be your answer. Olive Oil base soaps may help.

As far as offering Noobs any help, the only way is too sample the products unless they know if they have any allergies to specific products, oils and fragances. We can sit here and discuss which are the best soaps but that will not help unless the person makes the choice to try it.

The two soaps you mention one is a EO and the other is a FO. Exactly what is your reaction to other soaps? Maybe there is an ingredient other that the oils that is causing the reaction.

Raf

4. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

I just gave away 90% of my soaps and creams.

I understand the whole YMMV problem. But I asked for respondents that are "sensitive", not just the thumbs up from the many who can put anything on, and enjoy..... my problem is that of the 15-20 soaps and creams that I have tried, EO/FO or otherwise, 90% have given me a burning, tingling experience that is downright unpleasant. 15-20 soaps and creams cost me about $150 bucks give or take. That was an expensive lesson that may have gone a different direction had I had an inclination otherwise. Even if the improvement was only 50/50, I would have saved about $60, irritated face, and time spent "figuring it out".

what OO soaps do you recommend? Sounds interesting. Is a "Shave cube" something like what you are talking about?

So Doc, which ones work for you? I know that you are not making any guarantees, YMMV and all that, but I'll take your informed opinion and admitted sensitive mug as a stronger indication of a possible good outcome.

Also, I should point out that I really like a good "burn" from my alcohol based aftershaves every once in a while, and that is not what I am talking about here. I mean a tingle in a bad way, leaving red bumps and a hot feeling face.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

ok are the red bumps before or after the shave? and BTW I do have sensitive skin otherwise I would not have bother to post in your "sensitive only" thread and even if I did not have sensitive skin I would have tried to help. That is what we do around here.

I hope you sold your stash and not gave it away...

I'll reserve any further post until there is more info.

Raf

6. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

hey raf,

oops....
    i wrote------------------------
    "But I asked for respondents that are "sensitive", not just the thumbs up from the many who can put anything on, and enjoy..." and, "Please only suggest soaps and creams if you are a sensitive type."
    ---------------------------
    ok, it may look like it, but I didn't mean that your post was not welcome (or the posts of other non-sensitive types), or that I was referring to your post. Sorry for that.... I was being ,......wait for it....... insensitive? :rofl:rofl:rofl bad puns aside...I was just trying to define what the nature of my request for this thread was... to start a thread based upon what "sensitive face" guys get the best results from. Also, I wanted to be inclusive of what works, rather than a post of "brand x sucks". In effect, sensitive (pardon the pun, again) to the idea of listing what works for someone, rather than a flame war over what does not work. I have seen this before... Some brands just don't work for some people, YMMV as always... Or to put it yet another way... If someone goes on and says, "T&H cream always gives me a rash", 20 people will come on and say that T&H works just fine, rather than if they just said, "Proraso is good for me" for example... Then, rather than avoiding T&H, I would just be led to Proraso..... In effect, my choice would be guided from a positive point, rather than negative ones. Did I talk my way out of that one yet? :ashamed001

to answer your question, upon using the suspect soaps or creams, the red bumps are directly after the shave itself, regardless of the tools used. Even using my "go to" set up, an HD and derby combo, and using a synthetic brush and a systematic prep routine.... Within the time it takes for me to get my first coat of lather on completely, there is a mild tingle. by the second it is itchy, the third and fourth coat is the heat. By the time I am done, I am burning, itchy, hot and irritated.

Incidentally, I did give the stuff away, but it was a smallish stash (4 pucks and a tub) to a new convert. I have kept the few that work for me for the time being.

I can also add T&H 1805 to the "OK" list.....

So, to summarize, first my apologies to raf... Also, I am eager for input. What works for you, sensitive people? Is it true that mentholated products tend to be "sensitive guy approved" in general? Are all paraben products and FOs causing grief, or is there a particular brand such as Salter's Vetiver for example (;)), that beats the trend?

7. Will

Will Nevermind

That kind of reaction maybe from ABAS maybe from a bad shave, try Witch Hazel and see if you get the same red bumps (you probably wont get the burn).

As for what works for me.

TGQ EO Soaps
    TSD EO Soaps
    QED EO Soaps
    MB EO Soaps
    Col Conk
    De Vergulde Hand Soap
    Arko Soap Stick
    Erasmic Cream
    Euro Palmolive Cream
    JM Fraser's Cream
    Florena Cream

Pretty much everything in my Medicine Cabinet, I sold/gave away/tossed the stuff that tore me up.

BTW: I see you mentioned Synthetic brush and Synthetic Prep, ever think that maybe what the problem is?

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I have to run now on my regular road trip but I'll have something for later.

You did slide out out that one just fine:D I was just trying to get more info;)

Synthetic brush might be an issue like Will mentioned. T&H 1805 is a strong scented cologne based cream and that is ok. hmmm I may look into blade or pressure...Look in my Lair to see what I have that may help. Everything there is good for me.

Raf

9. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

well, I think that my prep and tools seem to be OK. If, for example, I use my other razor or my badger brush, I get either good results from good creams/soaps, or bad results from "bad" creams/soaps... It is just that I mention my "go to" gear and prep as the way I cut down on my variables to make sure that whatever is wrong, is identified. I came to the derby after nearly 3 months of searching for the perfect blade, for example. The synthetic brush is more of a financial thing, but I have had hundreds of shaves with it, irritation free...I am certain, that some creams and soaps irritate me. I too find it odd that I can handle 1805 (chock full of FO I guess) and salter Vetvier cream (Again FO).. but then again, that is what I am looking for. variety. I would hate to turn into one of "those" non scented types. Half of my fun is the smells of these products... The ones that burned me the worst, were also my favorite smells. (WHY? FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, WHY?!?!):p... I love WH. It works great on me, and is the "go to" AS for me and my skin. Still, If I burnt myself bad, it can sooth it, and it will be healed by the next shave, but I still had a bad experience nonetheless.

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Have you tried Taylor's Avocado??

Raf

11. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

I have. It worked just fine, but I disliked the scent enough to not want to make a purchase. (it was a sample)..

12. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

For over twenty years Colonel Conk almond shave soap was the only thing that worked for me and I had to buy two dozen at a time. I was not aware of so many others and the ones available at the store just didn't shave well. Col. Conk almond used to have avocado oil in it, but it has been a few years since I bought any, can anyone else confirm this?

Since discovering the forums here is a list of others that work well.

Art of Shaving lemon shave soap
    Art of Shaving lemon cream
    C&E sweet almond oil shave soap
    C&E sweet almond oil shave cream
    Arko shave stick
    Arko regular shave cream

I prefer soaps but this is pretty much the order of preference. I wanted to list T&H Luxury shave soap because it shaved so great, but it did tingle just a bit, so it may not be a good choice for sensitive skin. I have tried many others which either react with my skin or are just bad shavers, so they are not on the list. I have a L'Occitane shave soap that I will be using in a few weeks when the AOS is used up and I will add it to the list if it makes it.

13. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

The list so far:

Taylor's Avocado
    Salter Vetivier Cream
    T&H 1805
    TGQ EO Soaps
    TSD EO Soaps (X2 confirmed)
    QED EO Soaps (X2 confirmed)
    MB EO Soaps
    Col Conk (X2 confirmed)
    De Vergulde Hand Soap
    Arko Soap Stick (X2 confirmed)
    Erasmic Cream
    Euro Palmolive Cream
    JM Fraser's Cream
    Florena Cream
    Art of Shaving lemon shave soap
    Art of Shaving lemon cream
    C&E sweet almond oil shave soap
    C&E sweet almond oil shave cream
    Arko regular shave cream
    Mitchells Wool Fat soap
    tabac SS
    L'Occitane SS

Now that is what I call a list!! At least for me, I will be able to follow these as a guideline, and probably be able to find a few more options that are more likely to treat me right, rather than the results I have been getting. I swear I was finding 3/4 were kicking the heck out me... In all seriousness, I thought that I was cursed....

Anyone else have any goodies? hey raf, what was that OO soap you were talking about earlier?

14. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

if Lanolin is not a problem.....

Mitchells Wool Fat soap is the mildest shave I could recommend.
    Prolly would be my favorite if it had any scent at all :D

15. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

Rick, are you a sensitive guy?:mad:

just kidding.

added to "da list"! This is fun.

16. michaelskar

michaelskar New Member

I think different soaps affect different sensitive faces differently (enough differents?)

for me...off the top of my head...the ones that seem to NEVER irritate are:

tabac SS
    L'Occitane SS

17. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

True as ever, YMMV. I would agree whole heartedly, in general. But, for me and perhaps others, to drop $XX on an order of something that you basically have to either give away, or sell at a loss makes me want to define in general, what is a good "sensitive" alternative pool of choices.

Based upon what I have gathered here, I have about 50 types to chose from. There are no guarantees in life to be sure, but I think that I will have better luck among those listed than going blind. I am about 1/10 for "no reaction" so far, and want to bump the odds a little closer in my favor. I have just enough money to spend on this "hobby" of ours, and really hate to spend time, energy, money and pain on "science experiments".

18. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

I have to add TSD sensitive to the list. This stuff is great.

19. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

If you have any "TABAC" you want to get rid of... (Send it to me)...

I know, but someone has to do it for you (sigh!!!)... I'll even pay the psotage... No, No, No need to thank me... It's the least I can do...

Honestly, and I don't think I can explain it any other way, but...

We are all a bunch of "Maniacal Preferential Wet Shaving Enthusiasts" (some say fanatics and my wife say lunatics). But shaving cream, soaps, razors blades and razors are always a YMMV an will affect each individual in a different way...

What is harsh for me may not be for you.. Aggressive for me not so for you...
    Experimentation is the key and the only way you will know for sure...

We are only going to suggest the products that work for us and give you you the best advice possible... Dr Thayers Witch Hazel is a moisturizing lotion that will proably be very good for you, but as far as shaving creams or soaps... You will just have to experiment with them until you find what works for you... Try writing or emailing different companies for samples before investing large sums of money and maybe you will be successfull...

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :D