Need advice

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mouser, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

If the razor/blade tugs and pulls a little at times, does that mean I need a sharper blade? I seem to have heard that before but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Could be the blade, but it's more than likely your letting your angle get to steep if it's only doing it occasionally. What blades are you using now?

3. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

started with Dorcos and now I'm using Lords. Did it with both and always in same places, whatever approach (wtg, xtg..atc..) It's the worst on my upper lip.

4. Williams Warrior

Keep trying different blades and you might have to try prepping the trouble areas a bit more. Such as lathering up and letting it sit on your face for 5-10 minutes, then refresh your lather and have a go with that.

5. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Attention to getting good prep, and not keeping blades in service too long were keys for me.

6. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

While all blades are sharp, some are more so than others. Many variations go into which blade is right for you. A sample pack is the least expensive way to find the right one for you needs. As far as a blade pulling, if it's only sometimes, I would agree that it may be your angle or technique. If it pulls through out the shave, time to change the blade. Hope this helps.

7. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I prep out the ying yang. I wet my face, rub in a high quality hair conditioner and get it scrubbed and lathered up with an old small brush every couple of minutes. a soaked one. for anywhere's from 10 to 20 minutes. i get up early and my time is my own. pretty much.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, it sounds like way too much scrubbing.
    As for the tug and pull, that sounds like poor technique. Stick with it. You'll find what works.

9. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

what i was describing is what i do before i shower in the morning. its just putting some conditioner on my beard and keeping it wet until i get in the shower. softens it up. and i found the article that i was thinking of that said pulling is a sign that you need a sharper blade. it's on shaving101. but i don't doubt faulty technique is at play as well since i just started de shaving less than a month ago.

10. Williams Warrior

Being new I'd suggest you disregard going ATG until you find the right blade for you and your technique improves.

11. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

It could be the blade or angle, but one thing that I have noticed is if my beard is not properly hydrated it does also. I literally have to step out of the shower and put of my pre-shave cream and then start making lather. Try putting a new blade in before your next shower and soak your razor in hot water along with your brush. Do your normal prep and then shave. If it still tugs then it isn't likely the blade, unless it is just a bad brand for your face. If it is still tugging it could be your angle or possibly that your beard needs to be softened a little more. Proraso pre-shave cream is awesome. That, witch hazel, & my alum are a constant. I use those 3 products every single time I shave no matter which oils, creams, or aftershave I use.

12. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I notice tugging on my goatee area first because that's where my beard is thickest. If a blade feels ok on my cheeks but tugs a bit on my chin, I change it because I know it's on the way out. If a blade does that on the first shave, I don't buy them any more. You'll have to experiment a little to find out what works but some sharper blades might be worth trying.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  13. swarden43

What does soaking your razor accomplish? Jus' won'drin'

14. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Feels better on my face to have a warm blade then cold.

youngunn likes this.
  15. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Bingo! you've got it. The tugging is where it grows the thickest . So I jumped order of blade use I had laid out and went to #2 on the sharpness scale (of what I have at least) and put in an astra sp for this mornings shave. no problems. AND I went with one suggestion and lessened the angle. Thanks to all. This site is just a treasure trove of info. It probably would have taken me a week to a month longer to figure it out on my own.

16. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Glad that helped. Astra SP's are nice blades and cheap too.

17. swarden43

Nice!!

FacialCarnage likes this.
  18. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I do the same thing, stick the handle up out of the water and let the blade warm up

19. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I've got an over sized mug that I soak the brush with hot water in while I shower. I usually have the razor in there too.

20. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Hmmm, I've never tried soaking the razor. I may have to give it a shot.