Scuttle/Bowl Envy

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by ohpaos, Mar 29, 2013.

1. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

I dig the versatility of a multi-piece system. Nice!

An unusual, large scuttle that Hagrid might use if he took up TWS--
    Vintage Czech Victoria Scuttle
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

178-bplatoon and DLP like this.
  2. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

3. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I got the G20 from Georgetown Pottery. I live pretty close, so while I was in the showroom I had to get the matching soap and toothbrush holders
    [​IMG]

Bristle Me, JRod22, Barrylu and 3 others like this.
  4. bigmac53

bigmac53 Well-Known Member

I have a Buffalo Horn Palm bowl, 5 inch diameter. It's a nice little bowl, I lather up pretty good in it, my only complaint is that it is very shallow and I find that I get more lather on my hands than in the bowl and things get kind of slippery when that happens. In the same breath, I also think it's pretty fragile, I haven't dropped it, but I can't imagine it would fair too well landing on a tile floor.

I bought a Dirty Bird Bill Bowl that I now use pretty exclusively, but every once in a while I'll bust out the horn bowl.

ohpaos and 178-bplatoon like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm seriously thinking about a G5 and picking it up in their Freeport store when I pass by next month.

6. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

That's where I got these. Now my girlfriend says we need the matching sink.

ohpaos likes this.
  7. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Lucky you! Moonstarpottery is one of my favorites & I'd love to be able to visit in person. I like the one you picked-- it's a happy color that will suit the theme you described in another thread :happy088: I find this one is also very striking. image.jpg

Your set is beautiful. It's probable dangerous to live near a GP store. We have the ivory G20 & the GP glazes are stunning.

Bristle Me and JRod22 like this.
  8. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Have you taken it for a spin yet? I like how the spider web comes up all the way on the sides. Looks cool & should generate serious lather *kapow!*

9. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Nope.....Don't have it yet.:angry017: They had to make it I guess cause It hasn't shipped. :angry021: When I get it will post a poorly written review for you. :happy088:

10. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Oh da anticipation! They should keep you in the loop. If you bought it via Esty, I'd send a quick "convo" for a status update.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  11. Raven312

Honestly, I am stuck between the two. That's why I'm going in person. She's also firing up some more this week so I may hold out, to see what she has in mind.

12. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Very cool. You might want to take your favorite brush when you go to check out the scuttles/bowls. If you end up ordering a custom piece, it may help to have the brush (& maybe some cream) to decide on the best dimensions for you.

Raven312 likes this.
  13. Raven312

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

14. Raven312

Well, looks like there's a change of plan. I casually told my SO that I was going to stop by Moonstarpottery to "see what I see" (LOL) and she just as casually told me that she hopes I wasn't planning on buying a scuttle because she already ordered one for me from Robert Becker. I left the page open one night and she decided to surprise me when she saw that I am serious about "this shaving thing"... Since I didn't tell her about the brush and shave stand I have coming I figure I'd better leave things be. :lyrtuy5: She got me the # 005 (first pic) in rustic red. I like it. She didn't get the lid but I can't see a real use for it so that's cool.

Becker1.jpg Becker2.jpg

ohpaos and tuxxdk like this.
  15. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Woot! Woot! Looks awesome. Next time leave the website for a Porsche up :p. Just kidding, your thoughtful SO has excellent taste. Robert Becker has a rep for great customer service & you can always have a lid made later if you decide you want one.

16. Raven312

I was thinking that I need to think BIGGER next time I'm researching something on the computer... LOL I've been trying to figure out - what's the benefit of having the lid? I couldn't see one, really.

17. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Oooh. My. Goodness. I accidentally stumbled upon the tryptophobia sub reddit on reddit.com. Burn it. Burn it all with fire.

ohpaos likes this.
  18. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

:happy102: Dude, but will regular fire be enough for ceramic? Paging 178-bplatoon!

19. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

20. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

^^^ :eek: That's so very wrong. :ban:

I haven't read about the lid being used in actual shaving, but some people prefer the aesthetics (tea-pot look) when not in use. Some want a lid to keep dust out if they aren't used daily. (Some folks just use scuttles on cold mornings, etc).