SoS: April 15, 2013 - April 21, 2013

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366306476.012208.jpg

Thursday morning. Almost there.

Axe Chilled facial wash
    Shave Secret
    Barbasol Soothing Aloe
    Astra Superior Platinum (2)
    Edwin Jagger DE89L razor
    Witch Hazel
    Family Dollar Spice

For a fine DFS!

Today’s shave started with a different set-up. I mashed an Arko stick into a bowl and attempted to lather into my ceramic bowl, found at a thrift store last week. I reviewed You-Tube tutorials on lathering into a bowl. But again, couldn’t get anywhere with the Arko, just a frustrating thin, milk-toast lather that dried as I shaved my first pass. I attempted to make more lather before my second pass. Re-loaded the brush with Arko in the bowl, stirred and stirred, and got a little going, but it didn’t last the second pass. I tried to use less water, I had no idea

I took a deep breath, stopped the show, cleaned the bowl and brush, re-hydrated my face, and turned to Barbasol for a wonderful experience on my third pass with touch-up.

I did great with the Van Der Hagen puck weeks ago. I deduce I don’t have the technique with Arko, or the water is too hard. Perhaps my brush doesn’t have what it takes (Van Der Hagen boar). Probably all three. I love the smell of Arko (it’s what drove me to try it again) but I can’t get a lather for the life of me. Rats! I want to use it so bad. Well, tomorrow’s another day right?

Still, I can’t complain with the final result. I fine, comfortable, soothing DFS!

Aces!

Gairdner, srpavko, wknicholas and 9 others like this.
  2. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

SOTD Thursday

Prep: hot shower, TSD ISZ balm
    Razor: 46 aristocrat
    Blade: Super-Max titanium 5th shave
    Cream: TOBS sandalwood
    Brush: AOS pure badger
    Shave: 4 passes
    Pomade: Royal Crown
    Cologne: Cartier Pasha

Great shave and this blade just keeps going and going :D

Gairdner, srpavko, wknicholas and 8 others like this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thursday!
    • Prep: hot washing cloth
    • Music: Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel, Bridge Over Troubled Water
    • Brush: Omega Travel Boar
    • Soap: Tabac stick
    • Razor: Bakelite Shake Sharp
    • Blade: Gillette carbon Super Blue (#5)
    • Shave: 3-pass + touch-up
    • Post: hot water rinse, cold water rinse, dry blade & reload in Silver Shake
    SoS 2013-04-18.jpg

Oh, man! Astounding shave and BBS to boot!

Too bad I'm only entitled to two weeks of shakin' bliss! But I'd rather have that than miss out on the Shake Sharp Pass Around no.2.

Thanks Ryan!

And have a great day ya'll!

4. bigmac53

bigmac53 Well-Known Member

Hot Shower
    Proraso Preshave
    TSD Sandalwood
    WD Silvertip & Dirty Bird Bowl
    '58 TV Special w/ Feather
    Alum
    WH
    TSD Iced English Fern AS Milk

5. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

No worries, there's always an adjustment period till you dial in the best product-water ratio for a new soap. With very hard water, I find I need more product to get a good lather. Try loading the brush longer. It may take a little work and patience till you figure the right ratio, but Papa Arko will provide :D

macaronus, crackstar and Leo K. like this.
  6. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thanks man, that's what I'll do. :)

macaronus, ohpaos and crackstar like this.
  7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Usually, for any soap I just lather it for 45-60 seconds. I have very hard water, so I find it necessary to do that. Then I face lather and add water as needed. I either put water on my non lathering hand and sprinkle it on the brush, or I dip the tips of the brush in some water. This is YMMV and it might not work for everyone, but it's worth a shot.

macaronus, srpavko, ohpaos and 2 others like this.
  8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Just a suggestion...But if you are having trouble bowl lathering the Arko....maybe for now you might want to try face lathering....
    I rinse my whiskers for maybe 2 mins with hot water, with my brush soaking.....then Hold the bare end of a Arko stick under hot running water for maybe 30 seconds....Then in tight circular ATG motions I rub the wet soft end of the stick against the wet whiskers til every hair seems to tear off a little ball of soap....rubbing that stick into the beard...maybe for a minute or more.....Then hit it with the wet brush, really scrubbing....and it always just explodes like a lather bomb when I do this.....

Good luck and let us know what you come up with....

macaronus, wknicholas, ohpaos and 2 others like this.
  9. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice gentleman!

Regarding face lathering with the Arko, that was what I tried first, last week or so. I couldn't get a usable lather either. I tried it twice. Second time I watched tutorials and took my time, it was better, but too thin :(

I looked in the mirror here at work, and my face has red blotches all over it (even in the spots my razor didn't touch), yikes! I wonder if the Arko or the brush did that!

10. Ryan B

If it's too thin, you're probably not using enough soap or water. I had the exact same problem with my Palmolive stick. When I use a stick, I don't dry my face after a shower. I wet the stick before I get in and then again when I get out. Then I rub the stick on my face for 30-60 seconds. Then I shake out my brush and start rubbing the brush with the soap. If you start with your brush on the dry side, it's easier to add water than it is to take water out of a brush that's too wet. Don't give up!

11. Ryan B

Prep: hot shower, Axe Cooling Face Wash, Billy Jealousy Sucker Punch scrub.
    Brush: TGN Grade A.
    Razor: '70 Gillette Aluminum Tech.
    Blade: NOS Gillette Super Stainless.
    Soap: Proraso White.
    Post: cold water rinse, Thayer's WH Lavender, Floid Blue. Then about 10 minutes later I applied Axe Cooling AS gel.

Since I had a bad shave with Proraso Green, my face is still kind of messed up. I just decided to use a soap that I know works for me. I think I'm just allergic to eucalyptus. Proraso White is a great soap. If they made it in a tube form, I would probably buy some. The Floid Blue is also a great aftershave. Really old school scent, but doesn't make you smell old. It doesn't burn either, which is a big plus. The bottle is also pretty big and will last a long time.

macaronus, Gairdner, youngunn and 7 others like this.
  12. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

4/8 Rebell from herzi
    Vie-Long horsehair brush
    Ceramic bowl
    Viking Cool SC
    Cold water splash
    Tet-a-tet ASB
    Rebell is my second favorite razor. Long narrow thin blade, square point, German steel. It takes a great edge and gives a sound feedback. Love it!

13. bomber.79

bomber.79 Well-Known Member

Friday, 19th April

Pre: Ach. Brito GLYCE Lima
    Soap: Arko stick
    Brush: Parker deluxe pure badger
    Razor: Fatip Grande
    Blade: Astra SP
    Aftershave: Black Suede
    Hair tonic: Pashana eau de Quinine with oil

macaronus, Gairdner, youngunn and 7 others like this.
  14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Lloyd, check out this video if you haven't already - it takes place in Tunisia. I think the barber is shaving the guy with the Aquabarba.

macaronus, youngunn, srpavko and 3 others like this.
  15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hey Dimitry! Where is your TSD razor?

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/tet-a-tet.22882/

macaronus, Gairdner and Asd like this.
  16. My first shave with a Mikes soap.

[​IMG]

Muhle R89
    Personna "Lab Blue"
    Mikes Barbershop
    Clubman

macaronus, Gairdner, Stroker and 7 others like this.
  17. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

SOTN 4/18/2013

Nivia Face Wash w/Menthol and Vitamin E
    Trumpers Violet
    Omega Boar
    40's SS
    Wilkinson Sword (4)
    Warm Rinse
    Cold Rinse
    WH
    Aqua Velva Blue
    Axe Chilled PS Balm

Just a spectacular shave from the 40's SS and Violet combo. I usually don't care for floral scents but I sure like this one.

macaronus, Gairdner, Stroker and 6 others like this.
  18. Gairdner

Gairdner Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thursday 18th April

EJ DE89L, Personna 'Lab Blue', Albion with 26mm A Silvertip, Ingrams, Barbershop Bay Rum, Astral, Mr Taylor's Cologne

wknicholas, Ryan B, Stroker and 7 others like this.
  19. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Proraso White pre
    Palmolive whipped up with Kent Infinity Synthetic
    Fat Boy loaded with Gillette Super Thin (2)
    Three passes: W on 7; X on 5; A on 3
    Alum
    Nivea Sensitive ASB

Setting 7 was slightly fierce; 3 was too mild. Also, not too happy with he blade choice.
    Tomorrow will try a Polsilver SI on 6;4;4
    Such fun!

wknicholas, macaronus, Ryan B and 7 others like this.
  20. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

5/8 Filly
    Acca Kappa
    23mm Shavemac knot
    Col. Conk Almond Balm

Just about as good as a shave can get. Big Acca Kappa fan, great cream, IMO. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]
    image share