Shaving on the cheap

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Flatfish, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

I'm new to this site. Great site. I've recently started shaving properly. My current gear is a Wilkinson Sword brush and soap (cheap and fairly cheerful). I've aquired a Gillette Slim Adjustable from my Father in law (he likes his M3 and squirty gel). I have a £2 souffle dish to hold the soap, I also bought 100 Derby blades. For Christmas from various family members, I'll be getting a badger hair brush, some Taylors rose cream and hopefully some Mitchells Wool fat soap. Total outlay from "my pocket" is about £20. I really like shaving now.
    Anyone from Wales here?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Flatfish!

3. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Welcome!

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Welcome Aboard! :cool:

5. navy_shave

navy_shave New Member

Glad to have you with us!
    You're off to a good start.

6. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

welcome. great start. now if you can keep from trying the kajillion different soaps and creams out there, and resist the different razors and brushes and aftershaves, you should be just fine. It's doubtful though. Regardless, enjoy!!

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Welcome to the Shave Den :eatdrink004

We're glad to have you.....Enjoy!

8. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Welcome welcome!!!!

9. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I'm not from Wales, but that does remind me of a story with which to welcome you.

A guy was buying a book in a California bookstore: the metaphysical type that sells not only books, but incense, beads, and the like. The young lady at the sales desk took his credit card and glanced at his name. "Oh," she said, "the same name as my boyfriend."

"David?" the guy said. "Patron saint of Wales."

"Huh," she said. "I knew they were intelligent, but I didn't know they had their own religion."

:)

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Welcome Flatfish! It is indeed nice to have you here. Glad you are enjoying getting started.

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

Mmmmm Halibut....Welcome to TSD :D

12. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Sooooooo true! :rofl

Welcome aboard!

13. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

You know I think its something about the generation that was born around the fourties somewhere that makes them think that those terrible cartridge razors are great things. Something messed up about there heads. My pop is that way to.

14. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

I was born in the 40s but I've never had the urge to try a cartridge razor. I tried the single blade disposables when they first came out, found they were junk, pitched them in the trash and moved on. Until I started reading these forums I had no idea cartridge razors were so popular or so expensive. My male relatives all use electrics and regard wet shaving in any form as ancient and outmoded. I assumed most men had gone to electrics but I discovered only 30% of American men use an electric shaver. These forums have almost... but not quite... persuaded me to try a cartridge razor just to see what I missed.

I used a DE from the 50s to the 90s then switched to an electric. Only recently did I return to DE shaving. So far it's proved far more expensive accumulating 21 razors and 15 brushes in about six weeks but I think I'm about ready to narrow things down to what's in my sig below. A couple bars of soap and a pack of blades a year will be shaving on the cheap. I'm already blending my own after shave lotions and I'm experimenting with soap making, cheaper yet.

I thought it was the Scots who were cheap. Is it the Welsh too? :D

Richard