Alum and Alzheimer's

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Erik Redd, May 25, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Saw this in the People's Pharmacy column in the paper this morning

Q: I’ve relied on natural crystal deodorants for years, with the understanding that they were safer than the usual antiperspirants. I was under the impression that they were free of aluminum. When I checked the label, it said “potassium alum.” Does that mean aluminum?
    A: Yes; potassium alum is hydrated potassium aluminum sulfate. It is used in the purification of drinking water to get particles to precipitate out. Styptic pencils contain alum to stop bleeding from minor cuts. Alum also is used in most crystal deodorants.
    The question of aluminum toxicity has been controversial for decades. A review of the evidence in the Journal of Alzheimer’s disease (March 2011) concluded: “The hypothesis that Al (aluminum) significantly contributes to AD (Alzheimer’s disease) is built upon very solid experimental evidence and should not be dismissed. Immediate steps should be taken to lessen human exposure to Al, which may be the single most aggravating and avoidable factor related to AD.”

One alum deodorant mfr site says -
    .... The second type of aluminum is potassium or ammonium alum—the chemical terms for mineral salt. These types of alums are naturally occurring in nature, and known components used in crystal-based deodorant brands such as Naturally Fresh. Natural mineral salts work by gently creating a protective layer on the skin stopping body odor causing bacteria from growing. Unlike the processed aluminum, alum cannot penetrate the skin due to its larger molecule structure, making it safe to use.

I also see there was a similar thread almost a year ago.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-danger-of-alum-blocs.29925/#post-524162

Is anyone worried about the possible link enough to quit using alum?

2. I have used the crystal type deodorants for years and I do not fear the issue enough to stop since they work.
    I do however limit my aluminum intake in other areas...
    No aluminum cookware, utensils, etc.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have seen conflicting reports regarding aluminium and alzheimers, both debunking the other as junk science. Much in the same way that some research says that you only get cancer if you are predisposed to it by having genes for it. Just like people who never smoked, nor were around smokers get lung cancer.

My Grandma is in the advanced stages of Alzheimers and dementia. I can tell you that I don't want to live through it, but luckily for her, she does not seem to notice the difference. All she seems to care about is Rocky Road ice cream and spaghetti westerns.

I am under no illusion that I will live forever, nor do I expect to live all my days in relative comfort. I want to, but there is no guarantee that I will. So, as long as I am around, I will continue to shave my pits and use Tussy brand roll-on that is 19% Aluminium Chlorohydrate, and be pit-sink free!

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Personally, I am not convinced that Aluminum contributes to Alzheimers. It's also equally possible that Alzheimers brains collect aluminum for some reason.

In any case, alum has been used in the food industry for a hundred years or more (for example in pickling) and is regarded as safe. Others have also noted that the alum molecule is much bigger than the molecule used in deodorant and thus is also safe as there is no skin penetration of that big of a molecule.

youngunn likes this.
  5. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I worked as a PA for nearly eleven years before getting burnt out. Most of that time was with hospice and geriatric medicine. Senile dementia, in all its various forms, is not a new thing, nor is its predominance in the geriatric population. What is new is the percentage of the population living beyond the age of 65. If an 80 year old needs a new hip due to much more fragile bones no one thinks it odd, why then do so many folks seem surprised at the failing and degrading of grey matter? Were we all under the impression that, unlike the rest of the body, the mind is immune to the effects of aging and time?

If you live beyond the age of 65 you have 1 in 20 chance of developing some form of dementia, if you live to 80 it's a 1 in 3 chance. The incidents for women are greater than men, but women also tend to live longer than men. I've seen how dementia progresses and how it affects people...trust me when I say that if you do develop dementia that, for the most part, you will not mind. I don't say that callously, I say it honestly. Dementia hurts the family and friends far more than it hurts the person who has it. The fact of the matter is dementia is frightening, and when a particularly frightening disease or condition gains in prominence and becomes more common people panic and look for ways to explain it's rise other than more people=more chances to get hit with something. If 1 out of 100 develop ALS and you double your population from 100 to 200, don't be surprised when the incidents of ALS double as well. I've seen the studies for aluminum being a large cause for the rise in incidents of dementia and put as much faith into their efficacy as I do the "studies" claiming that the preservatives in many vaccines cause autism. Alzheimer's and senile dementia are blanket terms describing similar symptoms. There are many, many forms and there is no way to tell exactly which form a person has without examining the grey matter. Stating boldly and with conviction that any one thing is the cause of so many different forms of dementia is like saying wet roads cause all car accidents. The evidence for aluminum being a major cause is mostly just smoke and mirrors.

youngunn, NoobShaver, richgem and 3 others like this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Well said.

7. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I use alum everyday and I don't remember ever hearing this!! ;)

youngunn, BigT and PanChango like this.
  8. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Who are you people anyway?

jabberwock likes this.
  9. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

It's mostly stated in regards to the aluminum content of deodorants and the use of aluminum cookware.

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Slightly OT, but I think the more interesting, and perhaps more critical, thing to find out is if there is a link between aluminum-based anti-persp and breast cancer in women and the noted much lower incidence in men. Part of that might be hormone-based, but some have supposed that it might come down to shaving armpits (bare) and applying vs. not shaving first.

ohpaos likes this.
  11. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

On a lighter note..

According to Bugs Bunny these are the dangers of Alum.

Alum in throat spray.
    untitled.JPG

Apply the throat spray.
    untitled1.JPG

Start singing and boom shrunken head!

untitled2.JPG

youngunn and richgem like this.