The best smelling soaps and creams

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jabberwock, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Moe

Moe Active Member

Jabonman - Miel Incienso (honey Incense), it smells similar to, and is complemented very well by Alt Innsbruck. I also think TSD Lime & Lavender is the best scent of all other Lime & Lavenders that are out there.

2. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

Ogallalla bay rum and sandalwood
    Tobs sandalwood hard soap
    Klar kabinett
    T&h Grafton
    Tobs Mr Taylor's

These are the soaps I usually sit around and smell before I use them, not just put it on the sink until I'm ready.

3. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

The best-smelling shaving product I've ever tried was Penhaligon's Castile. Wow. What an amazing scent (it was a great cream, too). Sadly, it has long been discontinued.

I really liked Benton Clay's Vetiver Paradisi, which was a combination of grapefruit and vetiver. Sounds odd, but smelled great.

I love Mystic Water Lime. Just an excellent, pure lime scent.

4. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

T&H 1805. Nothing I've tried has even come close.

5. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about getting some Mughetto Di Bologna, but I was concerned about the scent. I've heard it described as extremely floral.

6. jabberwock

I love RazoRock and I really like soaps with shea butter in them, but I don't like lavender or eucalyptus, which rules out King Louise and 888. If I want a RazoRock soap with shea that leaves the two Lilly of the Valley scents...Muguet De France and Mughetto Di Bologna. They don't have as much shea as 888 or King Louise, but I'm OK with that. If the scent isn't like something that an old lady would wear then I would probably love either soap.

7. Jman

Jman New Member

TOBS Jermyn Street and Proraso Green I like.

8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

TOBS Avocado, Castle Forbes Lavender, Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad, Caswell Massey sandalwood, Rose of Bulgaria, Omega, Proraso Green, Nancy Boy Replenishing

9. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

I can't say that I have a favorite, but I recently placed an Amazon order that I have yet to receive. Non shaving items, but I rounded out my purchase with an Arko shave stick. I watched a youtube video in which the person said that the scent of Arko reminded him of a mix of cheap hotel soap and urinal cake. Can't wait! :)

I also had a puck of Bay Rum from a local soap artisan. I enjoyed the scent, but I had to retire it to a shower soap. It caused itching and irritation above my lips. Nowhere else on my face. Weird.

10. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Arko makes great lather. Scent isn't too bad.

tuxxdk likes this.
  11. marksnook

marksnook New Member

I used to think I was a cream lover but ventured into soaps only in this last month having found a cheap Boots refill in a charity shop, it works up into a nice creamy lather with very little scent. I've since bought some Derby sticks at a bargain price online and found the smell to be very much to my liking, even going as far as to open the other 2 sticks and placing in my underwear draw like my wife does with her soaps (TMI?)

Most of the ones you talk about on here are new to me, probably only available in the US?

12. jabberwock

Most of the soaps and creams mentioned are available pretty much everywhere. In fact, Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) is mentioned quite often, as are Truefitt & Hill, and D.R. Harris...all of which are based out of the UK. The only ones that may be difficult to find outside of North America are the TSD soaps (obviously), and RazoRock (which is a Canadian company).

13. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

LaToja Shave Stick!

14. marksnook

marksnook New Member

Yeah, TOBS (never used - seems to be popular and quite reasonably priced) and Truefitt (which I love) I'm aware of but the others are new names to me, too many soaps, too little time.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

A scent combo like that, had to google it... Seagrapes Studio. For those of you who like tallow and lanolin...

16. jabberwock

Seagrapesstudio appear to have copied Mike's Natural Soaps packaging and presentation.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Speaking of Mike's natural soaps, I've an order from there coming in the next few days—a boat-load of shaving soaps & samples—so once I give my olfactory senses a workout, I'll see if I have any entries into the 'best-smelling' category.

18. bomber.79

bomber.79 Well-Known Member

I have the Mughetto di Bologna and the scent certainly isn't floral. In fact it is difficult to describe but maybe slightly herbal or herbal liqueur or... Whatever it is a great scent and a great soap!

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

'Mughetto di Bologna'? If it smells anything like 'Mortadella di Bologna,' I love making it, but I'm not sure that'd be my first choice of fragrance... ;)
    [​IMG]

20. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

I'm a Truefitt & Hill 1805 addict.

FortWayneShaver likes this.