Col. Conk soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by old okie, May 26, 2013.

1. old okie

old okie Member

Never used this soap is it any good??

2. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Many believe it's made for Conk by VDH & the results from the two brands are comparable, with Conk's glycerin-base (melt & pour) soap having more scent options. This review is spot on IMO. Some vendors carry sampler packs of multiple scents, but full pucks can often be found for $3-4.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

A big plus of soaps like Col Conk,especially in the beginning, is scent variety at a low cost...They not only work well, but give you the ability to try many more scents, for less money. Four scents of the Col will cost you a "TON" less than 4 pucks of Trumpers and if you don't like the Trumpers for shaving you're left with some really expensive bath soap....:)

ohpaos, alpla444 and old okie like this.
  4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

That is a good review. I like the Conk Bay Rum mainly because of the scent.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Yes, I agree with you. The Bay Rum is my favorite Conk soap also.

old okie and Erik Redd like this.
  6. old okie

old okie Member

Thanks for the info. guess I will have to try it.

7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Col. Conk is a brand name used by World of Knives, a cutlery store in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Their almond shaving soap was the first one I used. Although not the very best shaving soap, it was still pretty good. Institut Karite and Tabac are both better and four times as expensive. The Van Der Hagen Deluxe deliver better shaves and costs half as much, but but the scent is not nearly as nice. Col. Conk is widely sold by brick-and-mortar cutlery stores, and so is readily available. If you have not tried it yet, it is an option well worth exploring as it offers good quality at an affordable price.

8. old okie

old okie Member

Just received a early fathers day gift today, Wife bought me not one but four Col. Conk pucks--(1) Bay Rum--(1) lime--(1) Amber & (1) Almond. Don't know which one to try first.

9. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Awesome gift! Unless you're a head shaver, the answer is:

Left side - Almond
    Right side - Amber
    Center (lip/chin) - Bay Rum
    Neck - Lime

+ pics & reporting back to your TSD homies, of course. :happy088:

10. old okie

old okie Member

Why did I not think about that?? Thanks. By the way my dog would have liked your kitty.

ohpaos likes this.
  11. bridger

bridger Member

to me the lime smells like janitorial cleaning products. yecch.

12. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

:thanks: bunches! (Unless you mean that in a lip-smacking kinda way :eek: :p)

old okie likes this.
  13. old okie

old okie Member

No just miss my girl.. she was ran over just before Christmas and I still miss her.

14. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

My deepest condolences on the loss of your friend :(. It's never easy to lose a beloved pet, particularly when she's taken so suddenly. I like to think your little girl & my best bud Farrah (the puppy-cat) are living the good life over the Rainbow Bridge :)

BamaT and old okie like this.
  15. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

I got a puck of the Amber in my small rotation of soaps. The scent is nice and clean. Nothing to over the top. Lathers nicely as well. Not as good as my Razorock, but a good soap.

16. old okie

old okie Member

Used the Co. Conk yesterday and today made for a very good shave both times, the lather seems to be richer and slicker than the VDH that I have been shaving with, but the VDH was half of the cost..

ohpaos likes this.
  17. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Oh, the suspense! Did you use the aforementioned 4-soap method? How did you like the scent(s)?

Nosy noses need to know, ya know? :p

18. old okie

old okie Member

No just the lime, Scent was great I will use it the rest of the week then try another ,I like to use the soap long enough to be sure about it .. may take me a month to try all of them.

ohpaos likes this.
  19. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

The lime smells like
    The amber scent is sorta like Dial soap, gold bar.

dialgold.JPG

ohpaos likes this.
  20. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I liked the Amber best myself. Decent overall, but the pucks are only 3 oz if I recall, and TSD is 4 oz and far superior IMHO and equivalently priced on a per oz. basis. For some reason VDH irritated my face, but Conk did not.