Does anyone use ordinary bar soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by white_feather, May 29, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I wouldn't say you're a wierdo, but maybe a weirdo who can't spell. :p

ohpaos likes this.
  2. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

True dat. Fo Real.

3. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

My Father grew up in the depression and he used ordinary bath soap to shave with. He also used a Schick Injector. He didn't want to pay extra for a special soap. I have done it in the past too. My Father also told me of a story where he would go in to a diner and order hot water in a cup and he would put table ketchup in the hot water to make tomato soup. Let me tell you them must have been some hard times.

magoo and ohpaos like this.
  4. bridger

bridger Member

will Hugo naturals melt and pour?

5. Care to elaborate?

6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I've tried Proraso once only but I got very mediocre lather.

I hope it's me who've whipped it wrong.

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I get a great lather from both Proraso creams and soaps. I just have to make sure I've got plenty to work with, I use about an inch of cream or load the soap heavy on the brush. If I scrimp on either the lather suffers. For me, this applies to all my soaps and creams, too much is much better than too little.

8. Down4ttown

Down4ttown New Member

Shea moisture makes good bar soaps.

9. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Yes, Hugo Naturals soaps are made from a melt-and-pour base (per ingredient lists / online reviews. I have not used them). Some of their soaps contain oatmeal, flower petals etc embedded into the soap for exfoliation. Heating may damage those those embeds. Tip: With any MP soap, you should microwave in short bursts (eg 10 Seconds) as you can burn off the fragrance & burn the soap itself with excess heat.

10. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I didn't use that much cream. I'll have to try with more next time.

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Many times I took my brush and used it to lather Dove soap and the results were great for me. The trick is to shake off a good deal of the water. :)

Ryan B, 178-bplatoon and Slipperyjoe like this.
  12. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

For years i almost exclusively used bar soap to shave. When i used carts and had no idea what de shaving was all about. Id just grab whatever soap was in there wash my face then re apply the soap and shave. Only problem ihad is it would dry up so i pretty much had to lather on side, shave, the other side shave, neck shave i think ill try itsoon with the de to see how it goes

13. bridger

bridger Member

heh. you can slip this one in under the radar... after all, it's not SHAVING soap....

ohpaos likes this.
  14. bridger

bridger Member

picked up a bar of Hugo Naturals. it made a nice looking lather that provided almost no cushion and faded away before I got halfway through a shave. what did I do wrong?

15. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Try it with Swedish Dream soap, or one of the Pre de Provences, and use way less water than normal.

16. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

Too much water, maybe? Too vigorous during the mixing stage (that brings too much air into the mix)? Even Hugo Naturals is designed for cleaning, not for shaving, so it's not as nice as a good shaving soap.

If you want to use, keep working at perfecting the lather. It will never be RazoRock but it should work. If worse comes to worst, get a pump bottle of Kiss My Face unscented and add one pump to your Hugo Naturals lather. That should make it work beautifully without altering the great scent of the Hugo soap.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And that's why I always keep a tube of KMF unscented in the cabinet. :happy088:

18. bridger

bridger Member

this product?
    [​IMG]

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes, that is what we are talking about.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup - KMF Unscented. But since I only use once in a blue moon, I picked up the smaller tube; it's a bit cheaper.