Most aggressive / Bbs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bryan Miller, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Bryan Miller

Bryan Miller Active Member

What is the most aggressive SE or DE?

I love my Futur maxed out

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

For me the the original (I say original as the 2013 model has been tamed a little) Muhle R-41. (DE razor) As for SE I dont know but a few people have said the GEM OCMM.

They are just my opinions and as always Your Millage May Vary.

But I also hear the Futur maxed out like you have is pretty aggressive.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

[​IMG]
    However, if an old Chinese sword is not in your arsenal, I've heard folks claim the slant-head razors with feather blades; or in particular, the Muhle R41"as close to a straight razor as one can get" using a DE.

Ryan B, Bryan Miller and Slipperyjoe like this.
  4. Bryan Miller

Ah yes the r41 and the slant. Been looking at both.

5. Bryan Miller

What other options are out there?

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Straight razors.....;)

Raven312, BigT and swarden43 like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup

BigT and Bryan Miller like this.
  8. Bryan Miller

I really want to be a straight razor shaver but I don't even know where to begin.

Honing? Striping? Getting a good razor?

It's tough. Teach me!

9. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

The Cobra Classic is another that gets called "the closest thing you can get to straight shaving"

I use traditional straights, but my disposable blade straights (Feather Artist Club-type) are the most aggressive razors I own due in large part to blade sharpness. (btw, from your intro post I feel compelled to disclose that I am female. Neener neener :p ;) )

Be sure to check out the sticky post in the Straights section & see the article called the "Truth About Shavettes" in the articles section for tons of great info.

10. LGh

LGh New Member

Shim any razor and you can make it so aggressive it becomes completely unusable for shaving.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  11. Bryan Miller

I
    Hahaha. That gave me a good chuckle. I've read the stickies over at badgeandblade.com but I'm looking for a basic explanation.

Exciting news: my supervisors grandpa is a professional blade sharpener for barbers so I have a means if prepping a straight. I'd really like to know the process of preparing a vintage razor bought from eBay including what exactly honing and stroping is.

12. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Have a look at the TSD Straight Razor sticky, which definitely answers the bolded questions.

Also, Larry's free e-book (PDF) over at WhippedDog.com is an excellent, illustrated guide. I highly recommend getting your first straight from him for a very reasonable cost instead of playing eBay roulette. http://www.whippeddog.com/app/webroot/userfiles/StraightRazorShaving_Manual(1).pdf

For tips on purchasing on eBay with visuals, look at the YouTube channel for StraightRazorPlace which has several clips from Lynn Abram's excellent DVD The World of Straight Razor Shaving.

By recommending resources, I promise I'm not attempting to avoid answering your questions. Rather, these sources that have been helpful to myself & others. They provide carefully vetted info on topics that cannot be explained in just a sentence or two.

The info can be a little overwhelming at first, but take your time & try to enjoy the journey. Hang in there! There's a lot of satisfaction in preparing, using & maintaining a straight :)

Raven312 likes this.
  13. swarden43

Start here ---> *click*

ohpaos likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Personal choice, I realize, but I do not trust myself first thing in the morning dragging what is essentially a surgically-sharp (think scalpel) across my tender face—especially before I have any coffee. Rather than risk using a straight razor and shaving off my epidermis like thin sheets of prosciutto, I'll stick with my DE razors.

...and yes, I look both ways before crossing streets and never take candy from strangers, either.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My most aggressive DE is my 2011 R41 followed by my Above The Tie with a H base plate.

I just received a Cobra Classic today and will try it out later today. I have the Feather SS which is aggressive but the most aggressive I tried was a Parker shavette. I still have the scar and will never use it again. It is just light and difficult for me to wield safely.

16. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

The slant razors are pretty aggressive.

17. Try a Rolls razor... i like mine.

18. swarden43

The most aggressive SE I've used, and love, is the Gem MicroMatic Open Comb.
    The most aggressive DE I've used would have to be my Futur wide open. Not that I've ever used it wide open. I know when enough is enough and have never taken it above three.

19. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

20. Bryan Miller

Single edge aye? I've been tempted to pick one up as well.

I don't really know wht kind to get.