Vintage Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JonU, Jun 13, 2013.

1. JonU

JonU Member

So now that I've had my first shave and plan on doing it for the long term, I have a question. Is there any places you recommend looking for vintage SRs? I've seen pics posted and really like the Dubl Ducks. My favorite part is the inlays on the scales. Can anyone recommend any other of the vintage manufacturers that were known for having nice inlays and engraving? Any suggestions would be appreciated. When I get back from deployment I'm going to swing by the various antique stores and see what if anything that they have to offer.

2. JonU

JonU Member

Here are a few that really catch my eye (and the wallet unfortunately). Just trying to give you guys an idea of the kind of razor I would like to try to find.[​IMG] [​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  3. JonU

JonU Member

In addition to those two here is a third that I like. I really really like the first one in my second post. The engraving is on both sides which I haven't seen much of yet. Maybe some custom scales could get the same effect for a little cheaper though?
    [​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Maybe your best bet would be to find a good serviceable razor first. Everyone likes a fancy razor but you pay for fancy. I've picked up many straights at antique stores and on ebay and have gotten good deals at both. I've always kept a open mind when making purchases on ebay, sooner or later you will get burnt but in my mind it's part of the educational process about straights. It probably isn't a good place for beginners (ebay). If you don't like that idea buy from reputable dealers or restorers. Whipped Dog is a name that comes up often and seems to have nothing but positive feedback. Look for gsixgun, he post on this forum and does excellent work restoring and usually has some for sale. Good luck.

5. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

A different approach:

A few years ago, I was into straights and I traveled around a lot. The problem I ran into is the maintenance issue with vintage SRs when on the road (honing in a hotel room). My solution turned out to be "Burt & Ernie"; 2 new German stainless steel straights. They each hold an edge for a month or more (easy) and I could send one off to be honed without upsetting my routine. They don't rust or stain, a quick strop before and after and your done.

DSCN1784a1.jpg
    DSCN1785a2.jpg
    DSCN1786a3.jpg

I still take this kit on the road about every other trip so I don't lose the skill.

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

http://www.gemstarcustoms.com/

gemstar is run by Glen a member on here, gssixgun is his user name:).

When he say's shave ready on any of his razor you bet they are.

He has a variety of prices etc... and he's a great guy to deal with.

Raven312 and JonU like this.
  7. JonU

JonU Member

THanks guys. I'm curious where you got the bag from gregindallas? It looks very nice.

8. gregindallas

Not sure. (Maybe Bullgoose?) It's a Leather Military Wash Pack (Made by Daines & Hathaway). Judging by it's name, I think the design may have some history. I got it when I started re-carrying SRs as a alternate kit.

alpla444 and JonU like this.
  9. JonU

JonU Member

Thanks greg, the manufacturer name really helped. Using google i found it in a matter of minutes (really would be seconds, but internet is slow here). I may get one of these instead of another razor first. It's 115 British pounds though...

10. JonU

JonU Member

from the looks of your pictures it appears to be of high quality as well.

11. gregindallas

Very high quality and built to last.

12. JonU

JonU Member

Hope they will take paypal. I have no clue as to the whereabouts of my debit/credit card at this point.

13. JonU

JonU Member

I also looked at the gemstarcustoms.com site. I did see one that really caught my eye, unfortunately he doesn't have any like it at the moment.
    [​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

If you want a straight then one of the best places to look is Whipped Dog. I have a straight from there and love it. He'll send you the straight shave ready. Also a vintage one that might not look pretty, but will still get you BBS.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Glen has done work for me - top notch.
    I've never dealt with Larry at Whipped Dog, but I have yet to hear anything negative.

16. gregindallas

Larry (Whipped Dog) is a Texan. :happy088:

Ryan B likes this.
  17. JonU

JonU Member

So would you guys say that it may be easier to find an unrefurbed vintage razor and have one of them refurb it?

18. gregindallas

Might consider buying just for the scales (crap blade with good scales - got to be cheaper) and have Larry or someone add a good blade.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's what I did. Found an old Red Imp and sent it to Glen to be honed up and set in a pair of bloodwood scales.

20. JonU

JonU Member

I don't know what it is about them, but I love the razors that have the scales with engraved designs. At first I thought the inlays were nice, but having a design actually carved into the scale tops it all imo.