Post your Shaving Bowls, Mugs and Scuttles!!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Bryan Miller, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Bryan Miller

Bryan Miller Active Member

I'm dying to see what you guys use to lather in. I'm in the market for a lather monster!

Pictures please!

Here is my little shave den with the mug I currently use (crappy). I'm only 1-2 months into the game =]

Attached Files:

178-bplatoon and alpla444 like this.
  2. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

This is mine, I have slowly fallen in love with this thing. I like that shelf you have there, where did you get that?

2013-04-25 12.52.12.jpg

If you want to see some amazing lather bowls. Check THIS thread out.

ram57, alpla444 and Bryan Miller like this.
  3. Bryan Miller

The shelf is a $5 steal from Walmart! I love it. Just got it tonight. Fits perfectly over your faucet. My sink area is very tight so it added a lot of space for me.

That post is amazing. I want to find a really nice ridged bowl and eventually a scuttle. Very pricey tho.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I like variety:
    P1010494 (Medium).JPG

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I use this nice little ceramic 'onion soup' pot with lid. It's easy to hold while whipping up the lather, and retains heat very nicely. I let the bowl steep in hot water while I shower & it keeps the lather warm for the entire shave. $5 at an antique store in Cambria, CA.
    [​IMG]

Jayaruh, ram57, 178-bplatoon and 4 others like this.
  6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

P1040586(1).JPG
    back row left to right, Robert Becker scuttle with lid, Traditional style shave mug

front row east stirling Ohio and Old spice mug.

Jayaruh, ram57, 178-bplatoon and 2 others like this.
  7. Bryan Miller

Where do you suggest I get a nice shallow but decently wide shaving bowl with ridges?

8. swarden43

Sounds like you might like the one I have, center row on the right. My wife got that for me as a Christmas gift a few years back from Vintage Blades.

Bryan Miller and alpla444 like this.
  9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

ram57 and swarden43 like this.
  10. swarden43

I've heard nothing but good about Becker's stuff. AND he's cheaper than Vintage Blades!

alpla444 likes this.
  11. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

My first was a Robert Becker then recevied a Dirty Bird for Fathers Day. Both are huge but cant image myself going back to a palm size bowl unless I'm on the road. wm_normal_fathersdaycameearly.jpg P1020216.JPG P1020217.JPG

12. Bryan Miller

ive recently started using a cheap walmart rounded square bowl.

its very shallow which I find is key but doesn't fit all that well in my hand. I'm going to a flea market on Sunday so wish me luck. :)

13. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

My 2 favorites are real mugs ya muggs.

Porter's - You don't know Williams until you tried it in this mug. It was designed for the stuff.
    Porters1.jpg
    The Blue antique was a gift from my mother-in-law.
    Blue one.jpg

Jayaruh, 178-bplatoon and ram57 like this.
  14. ram57

Bryan,

Not sure what you mean by ridges but are you thinking along the lines of a Suribachi bowl? I have the two below. Small one on the left is my travel bowl and is 4 inches in diameter and 1 3/8" deep and the larger one is 5 1/4 inches in diameter and 2 inches deep. Both were purchased at an Asian Market for less than $10 combined.
    bowls.jpg bowls1.jpg

Attached Files:

jmsodpc and 178-bplatoon like this.
  15. Bryan Miller

wow yes! that's exactly what I want.

16. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Ooh...intrigued...what sort of Asian market? We have tons in L.A.

17. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Actually, you have a fantastic set up!

I highly recommend Robert Becker, as I have his # 4 and love it. I'm also about to take possession of a Ladysea. 2013-05-29 23.25.33.jpg

Jayaruh likes this.
  18. ram57

I live in St. Louis MO and last year went back home to San Jose CA for a visit. Intrigued by this huge Asian supermarket that was new in the old neighborhood and was thoroughly impressed. Place was super clean, prices were good and huge variety of foods and goods. Had to look up the name but they are called Mitsuwa Marketplace. I would think an asian market that sells herbs, spices, teas might have the bowls. And of course there is always amazon.com and ebay. Just pure luck that I came across these bowls and needed a small travel shaving bowl.

19. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

New to TSD. Here is my collection so far. shaving.jpg

Jayaruh likes this.
  20. Bryan Miller

I just found a nice gillette slim 65 at an antique shop for $13 ad cleaning it up!!

I've gone to around 5 Asian markets and haven't seen any suribachi bowls. :(

Jayaruh likes this.