Shampoo Bars (everything you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask).

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by richgem, May 11, 2012.

1. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Just the shampoo, not the conditioner. That's all I ever use now.

2. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I used to love the Burt's Bees baby shampoo bar and the regular one was ok too but they don't make them anymore.

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Bummer. There are plenty of good ones, but it's hard tpo get them in local stores.

4. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Very well put-together and informative, Rich. Thanks!

richgem likes this.
  5. voice940

voice940 Member

I have been a big fan of the Ogallala Bay Rum bars. Smells great (not too strong, not too weak), and it is a one-in-all to simplify my shower.

6. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

I've been enjoying Mikes Natural Soap's lavendar, peppermint, and tea tree shampoo bar! It's excellent! Just as good as mikes shave soaps.

7. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I picked up a puck of "Intoxicated Shampoo Bar" from Beveridge Soap Co. (http://www.beaverridgebathandbody.com/, though the shampoo bar doesn't show up on a search for me), made with Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale, to take with me on a cross-country trip. I'll report back on how I like it after I'm back. . . assuming I remember.

8. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Back home, with a report on the above Intoxicated Shampoo Bar. Scores are out of 10.

Scent: 8 - It's an herbaceous scent with some floral elements to it, without a noticeable beer or alcohol note to it. Pleasant enough, but neither invigorating nor indicated by the label.

Lather: 10 - Ridiculous amounts of lather in no time. I could have washed my hair thrice with the amount produced in 20 seconds or less.

Performance: 7 - Can't say if it was hard water that was the issue, but it was relatively hard to rinse out. My SO liked how it made my hair feel in her hands, but it looked a little dull sooner than I'd like.

Value: 6 - I had to take great care to avoid any extra contact with water with this shampoo bar, as it all but instantly starts to melt away in hot water, washing large amounts of product down the drain. At $7 a puck, I suppose it's reasonably priced if you are careful, but I'm not sure I'll get $7 worth of value from it, relative to the longevity of my typical shampoo choices.

richgem likes this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Shampoo bars can be harder to rinse out. Now and then you may need to rinse your hair with a dilute solution of vinegar or lemon juice.

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

^this.Tho, it's not the shampoo itself that is harder to rinse out. It's styling product build up.

As for the ease with which the bar is dissolving, it might be that the bar wasn't cured long enough. Let it sit out on a shelf uncovered for a few weeks (without using it) and it should harden up.

Boojum1 likes this.
  11. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Follow-up question: when you advise getting a haircut as a way of removing the buildup from a shampoo bar's residue, are you presuming a liquid shampoo is inclusive in the haircut? I just got mine cut - without the added shampoo - and can't say I notice much less buildup than before the cut.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Hard to say. I don't have that much of a problem with it to begin with. But for good measure, I do a lemon rinse, once a month.

13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Excellent post. I have found that lanolin based bath bar soaps work very well as a shampoo bars.

richgem likes this.
  14. richgem

Found a new one... from Taconic Shave. Comes in Lime, Bay Rum, and Eucalyptus Mint. Seen so far, at shoeboxshaveshop and amazon.

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great compilation of info here.
    Having just ordered my first bar I am enjoying to learn more and more about this.

richgem likes this.
  16. richgem

Thanks!

17. Macropod

Macropod New Member

I have long, thick, wavy, color-treated hair and have used J.R. Liggett's argon and coconut shampoo bar a few times and I'm confused about my waxy results. I used a clarifying shampoo first thinking I was getting out the styling products. Is it waxy because the bar is sticking to my hair or because my use of regular products has stripped off my natural oils? My daughter is having amazing results with her thick, curly hair. I feel like a vinegar rinse will dry out my hair. I had been using shampoo, conditioner, and a smoothing product and then straightening it with a hair dryer, but I was hoping to get a new system so I can let it dry naturally and be wavy. I'd appreciate any help :)

18. richgem

It's hard to say... it could be that you're not rinsing enough, could be still some product build up, hard water... I'd say tho, try a different shampoo bar / brand.

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

After reading your write up. I've got to buy a couple of bars. With two long hair girls in the house, I'm sure we pour more unused shampoo down the drain then they use on their actual hair. Thanks for taking the time to write this.

richgem and Omelmad like this.
  20. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Thanks very much Richard!

I've not posted anything about it, but about two months ago I quit using my regular shampoo
    and started using a bar soap that it supposed to be moisturizing and is loaded with shea butter.
    It left my hair feeling a bit odd for about the first week, but after that things settled down and now
    I'm getting along fine with it.
    The main benefit to the change however, is something I would have never thought possible.
    My receding hair line (forehead area) is no longer receding. The hair is actually coming back.
    Needless to say, I'm sticking with the bar.

RaZorBurn123 and richgem like this.